Easy Hook Keeper

Martin56

Thought I'd post this as a separate thread for those not especially following the "A Few Hours Out" posts??

Here's an easy hook keeper, especially if your whipping skills, or eyesight aren't that great??

Also in Black.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

What's wrong with using a rod ring, or ring leg.

KISS

You beat me to it. thumbs.gif

I've never found the need for a designated 'hook keeper'. A rod ring/leg, a reel fitting, even sometimes the reel itself, has been used. In all my years I've never damaged a hook, hook length, or rod ring by doing it.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Thats a good tip Martin.

If Im using a waggler or stick or Avon float and I am moving swims then I find a hook keeper ring can be a lot less fiddly and more secure than using a butt ring, and can be quite a useful tool to have, even more so when I am using very small hooks.

Also when Im using heavy Carp leads of 2 to 3oz plus, when using the butt ring on my Carp rods its possible, to damage ring liners when larger hooks are rubbing against the ring liners with the weight of the lead constantly pulling against the ring liners. when Im moving.

So I find hook keepers can be a very useful addition to a rod.

Using the butt ring can be used; I agree; but given the choice, I find a hook keeper is usually a lot better.

I didnt realise that you could buy cable ties with the additional loop on them Martin, thanks for the info.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Today I used the leg on my bottom guide as a hook keeper as I roaved....I would never put my hook onto the actual guide/ceramic as it can easily be damaged.

I've been using the leg on my normark avenger (the rod I used today) for about 15yrs now and if i'm honest, i've never liked doing it! I have decided to get a couple of fuji hook keepers which can be moved from rod to rod.

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 2

All,

Probably for the final 30 odd years of my fishing career I cannot remember a single time I did not start the next session with a NEW HOOK. You shouldn't go fishing if you can't afford a new hook.

Phone

• Like 1

The loop in those plastic cable ties is much bigger than the hook keepers on 2 of the rods I have & much less fiddly.

Much easier to do with cold hands/failing near view acuity. wheelchair.gif

• Like 1

All,

Probably for the final 30 odd years of my fishing career I cannot remember a single time I did not start the next session with a NEW HOOK. You shouldn't go fishing if you can't afford a new hook.

Phone

You mean the one i have been using since 1972 needs chucking out ,silly billy you will be saying the line is out of date next ?

"Session" ? Shouldn't that be season? Do hooks have a fish number limmit ? Do americans buy hooks that only can catch say 5 fish? Is there 10 fish or 50 fish hooks?

You would make a fine salesman "sorry bud (or chuck or bubba) that $300 reel can only catch 75 fish then you need a new one!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

There's 30 in the pack shown in the Link Keith, so probably enough to cover MOST of your rods?? g.gif

It's a "No Brainer" for under 4 quid (or $5) for all them.

Edited by Martin56