Easy Hook Keeper

Martin56

Are you still in the diplomatic service? Carry on like that and the colonies might rebel. They know what they are doing when it comes to fishin believe me.

All,

Most of you know I always used very inexpensive hooks that I've carefully inspected out of the package. Inexpensive hooks are actually quite expensive in that you probably use only 1/3 to 1/2 of the count. I NEVER used forged hooks or non ferrous hooks. Just a guess as I never really kept track but I can count on one hand the number of hooks that have caught three fish.

I always used ferrous hooks as a safety feature. Ferrous hooks will fail out of a fishes mouth in 3 - 7 days (temperature dependent). Most fish can survive the time necessary to rust out .

If I was new to the game again and "catching" had a level of importance I would be right among the "cadmium high carbon hoot and hollar hooks.

Phone

Martin,

Question - I used barbed hooks size 1 or 1/0. Would the second hole let me get my hook out easily?

Phone

Phone - I would think so, have you played the Vid in the Link?

The hole looks to be around 3+ mm diameter.

If not, the next size up cable grip should have a bigger hole? (the loop hole is designed to thread electrical wire through? so makes sense that different hole sizes are available)

Actually looks more like 5 mm diameter using the guys finger in the Vid' as a rough gauge (that's gage to you mate lol)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Dont you just poke the point in the cork handle?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

That's always been the way & will be for years to come, (for some) however - does that dull the hook point?? in the way that cutting paper with scissors does.

Paper is wood based & cork is wood. (bark)

Anyway - What's wrong with trying to bring a bit of finesse to the site?? wallbash.gif Lol.

Or even a bit of "Bloody Finesse" as my late Dad once said.

Edited by Martin56

Thats ok if you have a naff old rod thats worth nowt. If you've just blown a small fortune on a quality rod and you have any brains your not going to destroy the cork or duplon.....oh, and feck the hook point! :).

• Like 2

What's wrong with using a rod ring, or ring leg.

KISS

How KISS do you want it to be??

A hook keeper for less than 14p each. No whipping - done in seconds.

The width of the loop can be filed/sanded thinner in no time for the smallest hooks. (before attaching)

Yes there's a bit of thickness to the loop - easily sorted by the above & of course big hooks will still be ok.

Edited by Martin56

But the rod rings and legs are already in place and paid for. So is the bail arm on your reel.

Once unhooked there's nothing to catch the line in a wind/on the cast.

It just seems you're complicating the already simple. Overthinking.

• Like 1
If all else fails, follow the intructions.

I know it's not the norm' these days, but I still use a size 20 on occasion, sometimes smaller. They would never hook over those cable ties without damaging the point. They hook over the legs of my rod rings though, no problems.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John