Baitcasters

Mikench

I wonder how many members own one these and use it regularly. I have an Abu which is right handed and I've never really mastered it. Being an idiot I often forget to reset the magnetic and normal drag when changing lures if significant weight differences are involved.

I think a left handed reel would suit me better ie you cast with your right hand( one handed) and reel in with your left hand as I do normally with a fixed spool reel. At the moment I cast with my right hand and arm but switch to my left to reel in.

Shimano have brought out a digital electrical drag system on their Curado Baitcasters to prevent( supposedly) birds nests on an overrun and whilst I've read mixed reports on them, i wonder if anyone has used one. Phone may have greater knowledge of these reels as they are very popular across the pond.

Edited by Mikench

I thought you were talking sea reels for a moment.

I have a small abu left hand wind and it's a good little reel which can be used single handed for casting, but for lure fishing in fresh water I woukd much prefer a fixed spool where my rod is held rings facing down.

Have 7 Abus and all very good casting reels. All mine are righthanders and easy to cast. An Australian fishing journo used the term,"the educated thumb" to best describe the manner of eliminating the bird nests; that is, to feather the rapidly revolving reel drum with the thumb and to press the drum at point of contact with the water. I still get the odd birdnest due to opposing winds and/or too light a bait.

Most of them have accounted for decent fish, 60 lb barramundi, 20 lb long tail tuna etc.

Most of them are 5600 C4, so I have spare parts.(100km round trip to town for a pawl?)

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Ive never used a bait caster so dont know much about them; but I do have two Abu multipliers (an Abu 6000c and a small Abu Record 2100) both of which have been used for casting plugs quite well in the past; (plus a couple of Abu Cardinal 55 fixed spool reels and an Abu 506 closed face reel which Ive never used for casting lures).

Perhaps Phone could explain the advantages of using bait casters and why they are used so often on the other side of the pond when lure fishing.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Baitcaster reels

Just sitting here thinking out loud.

Almost always 17lb mainline or greater

They work like a winch (baitcaster anglers don’t play fish) We horse fish in.

With a short learning time baitcasters are more “fun” (the angler is more engaged)

Predominately accuracy is the key benefit of baitcasters, in addition to spot on casting pitching and flipping and skipping are arts in themselves.

Bait casting reels are for the more experienced anglers having better control and accuracy. It’s like wearing camo in the UK.

I would admit, bait placement is easier with a baitcaster – an essential skill is “feathering down a bait”

The whole of casting happens much slower and many casts are no more than 10 -15 yards

The have a cult following among master fishermen (think tv)

Especially true for bass and muskies, there are simply many more varieties of rods ment to be paired with baitcasters than with spinning rods.

Baitcasters are not as popular as they once were. Except river fishing for big blue catfish I haven’t used a baitcaster in a long long time. In this instance you need a winch.

Phone

• Like 2

One has to raise the question of names; bait caster as opposed to ‘multiplier’, a word I find absurd. They revolve around a centrepin, as do all reels, they don’t multiply anymore than a bait caster, or spinning reel.

In Australia, they are called overheads being, naturally, over the rod.

So, quitcha bellyaching and get using ‘em!

• Like 1

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Its like wearing camo in the UK

Phone

Camo is for those who have:

1. No military service experiance

2. To follow the crowd

3. No idea of why they wear it.

4. Wannabe bees.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

I

One has to raise the question of names; bait caster as opposed to multiplier, a word I find absurd. They revolve around a centrepin, as do all reels, they dont multiply anymore than a bait caster, or spinning reel.

In Australia, they are called overheads being, naturally, over the rod.

So, quitcha bellyaching and get using em!

The spool on a multiplier doesent go round faster than turning the handle i think it does just as the flyer on a fixed spool reel rotates faster than the handle! some fly reels spools rotate faster than the handle.

I have some old very highly decorated versions that dont but multipliers are the norm

I would classify multipliers as wide centerpins (like those we use on the beach or boat) baitcasters as closed faced reels but with a small hole unlike the common ones with a large one and fixed spools because the spool doesnt rotate at all hence the name!

I have tried using multipliers in course fishing but unless your using more than say an ounce plug they just dont work they need something heavy to start the spool turning and stopping it once it is an art !

Their only use to me is boat fishing used as a winch !

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I would classify multipliers as wide centerpins (like those we use on the beach or boat) baitcasters as closed faced reels but with a small hole unlike the common ones with a large one and fixed spools because the spool doesnt rotate at all hence the name!

I always thought the same chesters, but it seems we are out of date.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=baitcaster+reel&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-gb&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&plvar=0&refig=d3411615e3c14a7cdeea4f875af5176d&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=baitcaster+reel&sc=8-15&qs=n&sk=&cvid=d3411615e3c14a7cdeea4f875af5176d

https://www.bing.com/search?q=multiplier+reel&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-gb&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&plvar=0&refig=0126276d5d9d4526e39ebacab6bfab62&sp=-1&pq=multiplier+reel&sc=8-15&qs=n&sk=&cvid=0126276d5d9d4526e39ebacab6bfab62

https://www.bing.com/search?q=spincast+reel&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-gb&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&plvar=0&refig=96ba72ea166241a1de652c82336a2588&sp=-1&pq=spincast+reel&sc=5-13&qs=n&sk=&cvid=96ba72ea166241a1de652c82336a2588

I don't know what's the difference between the 'baitcaster', and the multiplier in the links, except maybe the size.

What I always thought was a baitcaster, seem to be now known as a spincaster.

MUst be getting old.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John