Baitcasters

Mikench

I think "baitcasters" are usually smaller and have a line release button so it can be pressed on the cast to release the line making casting a single handed procedure. Unlike the multiplier (as Phone saod) your not trying to cast out into the horizon and usually just making relatively short casts.....is that reet Phone?

I think "baitcasters" are usually smaller and have a line release button so it can be pressed during the cast to release the line making casting a single handed procedure. Unlike the multiplier (as Phone saod) your not trying to cast out into the horizon and usually just making relatively short casts.....is that reet Phone?

Edited by Tigger

"MUst be getting old."

Must be lol

Or less influenced by new or foreign terms!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Your first link John relates to Baitcasters proper which cast significant distances in sea or fresh water but admittedly with a heavy lure above 3/8ths oz. They are very light in weight around 210g as opposed to multipliers.

The second link relates to classic multipliers for sea fishing. The third link relates I think to closed face reels like the Abu 506 and 507.

It's the Baitcasters in link 1 I'm interested in. They have various drags including the thumb to prevent or at least reduce birds nests. The Shimano ree I referred to has a digital computerised drag supposed to virtually eliminate birds nests as it detects the reducing velocity of the lure and applies a drag equivalent to your thumb.

I am going to respool my Abu Silvermax with braid and give that a try on the sea. I was interested in people's view of the Shimano DC reel.

Edited by Mikench

All,

Gozzer, "spincast" is like a Zebco 33 (closed face)

Cameraman, Exactly, baitcasters require a false aire of superiority.

Multipliers (to me) are salty - bait caster - fresh water (not true but that's how I seperate the two - same functionality)

Phone

Interesting discussion.

As an all-rounder, fishing all over the world,I own a lot of reels, from big game down through various multipliers (boat and surfcasting ) baitcasters, spincasters,closed face reels, fixed spools, (most with bale arms, my old Mitchell with claw pick-up) centrerpins and fly reels from #12 for tarpon down to a #2 for brooklet fishing.

I had to learn to be reasonably proficient with all of them, but always concentrated on accuracy rather than distance, especially on the small freshwater waters I was brought up on.

For sea fishing with multipliers i prefer righthand wind, but for most freshwater work I use lefthand wind because the master hand (my righthand) is of more use in controlling the rod.

The odd one out is baitcasting - my smaller reels are of the " spincaster " closed-face variety with lefthand wind - but my larger ones are multipliers, and because they were purchased in the USA are righthand wind. It has never bothered me, I cast with right hand , and as the lure drops into the water I automatically switch the rod to my left hand to wind in righthanded.. Have always fished that way - each to his own preference

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I bought a Shakespeare baitcaster a few years ago & couldn't get on with it at all. (seemed like a good idea at the time for hol's)

I gave it away to a lad at work who can use them & he said you need a rod that's almost as stiff as a poker with large rod rings to get the best from it as it's more of a forward chuck than a cast??

It just wasn't for Me!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All,

Here is the 2019 model of Abu Garcia "Carpmaster"

100_0272_medium.jpg

This reel is the "centrepin" of carp fishing equipment. $175 and are purchased in sets of 3. Each year is a different color and they have been available for at least 30 years.

Bait casters are rarely used for live bait angling.

Of course all long cast distance records are held by "baitcast" reels (and - last I knew all Englishmen)

Bait cast reels , the really good ones, are made exclusively with lure fishing in mind.

"Really good ones" range $150 - $350

The one good thing about bait cast reels is that there is no way in god's kingdom you can use a parabolic rod. My experience with parabolic rods is that they are not made for fishing in the water, everywhere but.

Phone

Phone - the reel in your above post is in the shape of what we call a Multiplier.

This one below is typical of one that I/we would call a Baitcaster......

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiWmovLtLjlAhVKsO0KHaSiB5QYABAWGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2rRk1T71Q-B_5MYfTbI8_nAMOKZMMSgxx2I-WY3Xk2_zeoVfFTRfwwNBVZhKtMmNdEameoneC1GrJkM4_zNbV&sig=AOD64_1jhVNKJ5w_os42708CKL-qq2_UEg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwibsoXLtLjlAhXIiVwKHVZHAFoQ9aACCGo&adurl=

Did you swallow too much sea water swimming across the pond, inducing a level of delirium?? Lol.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I have often wondered why level wind reels dont have a system of disengaging the level wind on casting and reingaging it for retreiving .

The extra friction with it employed on casting must have an effect on distance ?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Martin,

Exactly why I posted the picture. The line is blurred for you on that side of the pond. No such thing as a "multiplier" on this side of the penny really. They are all "bait caster" reels.

Chesters1,

The best of the best only hold about 70 yards of line.

Phone