Baitcasters

Mikench

Martin,

Exactly why I posted the picture. The line is blurred for you on that side of the pond. No such thing as a "multiplier" on this side of the penny really. They are all "bait caster" reels.

Chesters1,

The best of the best only hold about 70 yards of line.

Phone

So besides fixed spool reels what do you use fishing from the beach?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have a handful, including a little Calcutta that happily throws lures down to about 8g. I'm not convinced by the accuracy arguments and if I'm honest, they are a PITA to cast in the sort of restricted spaces that you find when wandering peg to peg on the river, where a fixed spool is much easier to use and certainly offers more control and a better drag system.
They are however fun to use and I often give them an outing on the canal in the springtime.
I also have one that lives on an 8 1/2 foot South Bend Trophy Tamer rod that I've used for barbel a few times. It gets a few odd looks on the middle Severn, especially as it's usually stood up in a sand spike style rod rest.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Chesters1,

Well, as for myself I'm about 1,100 miles from the beach.

Phone

So that 70 yards of line is going to fall quite a bit short then.

Technically if a spool (or flyer on a fixed spool) rotates faster than the handle its a multiplyer so most reels are just that ,what they cast immaterial so "bait casters" are multiplyers as are fixed spools and closed face or in some cases fly reels .

Those that are not are center pins and most fly reels and casting reels where the handle is not connected to the spool via a gear so the handle rotates when the reel is cast IE one rotation of the handle = 1 rotation of the spool

I have a prototype 8 to 1 retrieve intrepid that with any decent fish on would be impossible to start reeling in hence the reel reverted to its 5 to 1 retreive of the production models ,simply speaking if it rotates faster than the Handle its a multification of turns or a multiplyer

these (i have a few engraved beuties myself) look like multiplyers but infact are not the handles connect directly to the spool ,pretty to look at crap to use the only gear drives the line layer dooda which due to friction restricts the distance hence my note about disengaging them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Vintage-PFLUEGER-AKRON-Reel-ENGRAVED-MODEL-1893-Goood-Working-Condition-/232883325877?redirect=mobile

"Bait caster" is a bit of a silly term ,all reels cast a bait whether natural or not but i like most have caught fish on unbaited hooks ,bait is definately a better option! Even this i presume lol

https://www.amazon.com/OVERMAL-Wobble-Feather-Fishing-Tackle/dp/B07CZHZMY2

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Probably very long handles Mr Bush

Try it with a handle 2.5" long in a reel made in the late 60's with no bearings whatsoever

I had a peek at those abu multiplyers ,i wonder how hard it is to reel in a fish with all that gearing i guess you must have an left? Arm like popeye with all that pumping lol

A cast of seventy yards with that reel must be like pulling in a ship with a pushbike ! 21 gears aint going to make a difference when your standing on the pedals and nothing is moving

Edited by chesters1

Multipliers are not all limited in their use.

I used to occasionally trot a float after big roach and Chub on the Kennet back in the late 70s using my Abu 2100 Record multiplier (see pic below), after I read a chapter in Dave Stuarts Roach book (part of the Osprey Angling library of books) where he used this tiny multiplier for fun sometimes when trotting a bait for Roach.

I also used to use this multiplier on the Kennet when legering prawns after Chub too and it cast like a dream with its very light magnesium spool.

I haven't used it much in the last few decades though although I do still have it.

Other-Trotting-Reels600x450.png

The Abu Record 2100 sport Multiplier:

Produced 1945-73, hailed as Abus World Champion Tournament casting reel with many records set and broken by Swedish tournament caster Ake Dalberg.

Keith.

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

All,

At sanctioned United Kingdom Surfcasting Federation (UKSF) events, Danny Moeskops established three weight-category records, his longest cast being with a 150-gram (5.29 oz.) weight in August 2004 for a distance of 915.22 feet. He used a Century TT-R rod with a modified Abu Ambassadeur reel.

71S_2BfUbF_2BqL._AC_SL1500_150x150.jpg?v

$300

Phone

Edit: This reel has remained essentially unchanged since 1952 (maybe as late as 1955). Unchanged except the price. $10.00 originally (something like that)

Keith, I think Chesters1 should be able to tell you. Given a proper serial number the Record 2100 is a keeper.

Edited by Phone
  • Like 1

5.2 oz is sea fishing country ,try casting a 4" float and a couple of little split shot ,lol

"Modified" probably stripped of anything causing the slightest friction a simple center pin had distance records for many decades its like comparing a half ton racing car to a land rover ,they both have 4 wheels and one you steer with but it stops there!

The racing car may go fast and go round corners but it gets stuck in the mud easily

I have tried casting that float with tiny multipliers all that happens is you get a rebounding float in the eye because it cannot start the spool rotating ,others will try other ways and succeed life is to short so i use a closed face and keep my multipliers for the sea.

I get no amusement working to catch fish ,i would rather go fishless than try hense my centerpins stay in the loft fixed spools were not invented to be worse than center pins and closed faces were not invented to be worse than either ,all are limited in some way there is no perfect solution

I never had the gumption to master anything ,i am in the near enough camp ,i gave up with center pins when everone used centerpins i will never go back ,just as i wouldnt go back to a bicycle after buying a motorcycle ,engines were not built for no reason !

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1