Forum Upgrade - Next Step

Elton

5 hours ago, Phone said:

All,

As for the site. - - I am in the same boat as ayjay.  It's the "unread content" that's extremely slow in both directions

Phone

That does seem slow but then i only just clicked it for the first time.you have to take in account though the poor person that has to see whos wanting to read the unread content then skim through thousands of posts to see if Mr Bush has read them

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

19 minutes ago, Phone said:

19 minutes ago, Phone said:

All.

0700 and the site is operating at light speed this morning.  I believe Chesters1 did it.  Thanks

Phonebush

A slip back in time there mr bush

F

This sites weird i pasted a link and it showed the contents of it in part!?!?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 4 weeks later...

Eventually got around to having a play with the functionality on the blog - loving the new headline feature - will start using that a lot plus the fact yiu can upload pics directly no more need to find somewhere to host pics...

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• 7 months later...
On 12/4/2019 at 8:39 AM, ayjay said:

Is the forum upgrade now finished?   Is it ever going to speed up? 

It's currently the slowest site that I use: my bookmark is set to the Non-fishing section and from there I click on *Unread Content* it can take up to two minutes for that page to open, and it's not much quicker when I  use the back button in my browser page.

It did get better for a while, but it's now worse than it was  before, the *Back* button in particular is so painfully slow I often give up now and just shut the tab down.  The tab/bookmark itself opens in a couple of seconds, (which is still slower than most others).

9 hours ago, ayjay said:

It did get better for a while, but it's now worse than it was  before, the *Back* button in particular is so painfully slow I often give up now and just shut the tab down.  The tab/bookmark itself opens in a couple of seconds, (which is still slower than most others).

Do you mean the back button on your browser? If so, that is local to your machine and doesn't send a request to the server - it uses your own cache.

This site is now on an extremely capable server, ridiculously over-specced (sp?) for what it needs. I've never used the 'unread content' feature that Chesters mentioned until just now, when I tried it in a few forums and it loaded in a split-second in each one. 

I'd love to find the fault this end (there are some cache settings that Mike, the guy handling the server, is tweaking), but I can't replicate any of the issues mentioned.

If you aren't already, try using the navigational links on the forum itself to get around and clearing the cache. If this doesn't help, please report back here and I'll ask Mike to take a look through this thread next week.

In the meantime, I'll see if the Google analytics we get can offer any further information. For reference,, this is the info they provided today:

First Input Delay
Time it takes for the browser to respond when people first interact with the page
5 ms
GOOD
Largest Contentful Paint
Time it takes for the page to load
1.8 s
GOOD
Cumulative Layout Shift
How stable the elements on the page are
GOOD

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I notice nothing realy bad now ,a new tablet with 6gb of memory and 140mb download speed helped.

I do though notice strange things going on ,if i try to use a icon in the drop down dooda (smiley face etc) the whole reply locks and the box stays on the screen and wont go away.

The other one is trying to fix a spelling mistake makes the whole page (as in your page not mine) goes to the top of the page and you have to go back down to the reply box and try again.Also if i start a reply and imput a few lines then go back out changing my mind ,next time i reply (to anything) the same text is there! And i have to delete it

Could be you perhaps a flaw in mine and android 9 but outside that the wait for the page to open long gone

Good things the search feature works again ,bad thing you can no longer use a mobile version by default and you cannot see whos online at the botfom of the open page looking at it

Edited by chesters1

11 hours ago, Elton said:

Do you mean the back button on your browser? If so, that is local to your machine and doesn't send a request to the server - it uses your own cache.

This site is now on an extremely capable server, ridiculously over-specced (sp?) for what it needs. I've never used the 'unread content' feature that Chesters mentioned until just now, when I tried it in a few forums and it loaded in a split-second in each one. 

I'd love to find the fault this end (there are some cache settings that Mike, the guy handling the server, is tweaking), but I can't replicate any of the issues mentioned.

If you aren't already, try using the navigational links on the forum itself to get around and clearing the cache. If this doesn't help, please report back here and I'll ask Mike to take a look through this thread next week.

The *Back* button is indeed a feature of the browser (Firefox 77.01) and it literally just takes you back one page, or you can expand the button with a right click of the mouse  and select which page to return to, it works perfectly well on every website I use except AN.

I've just tried using AN from the main forum page and it is quicker, although having read a couple of topics I then clicked on *Unread Content* and it just whirred away for a good minute or so before loading the page.

Which cache are you suggesting I clear - is that the DNS cache?

The back button works fine on my firefox running on android 9 ,dont use the unread dooda but i will have a go

Bugger just finding and clicking the unread dooda seized my tablet up lol

Is it different if you (presuming your on a tablet? Or phone?) Hit the 3 dots on the top of the firefox screen and ticked or unticked the "request desktop site"?

I appear to get two versions of the site unticked bugger if i try and screenshot the unticked version it goes to the last post and copies that!!!

It wont let me paste the link to the picture ,it comes up with select all ! Bugger knows whats happening

Edited by chesters1

3 hours ago, chesters1 said:

The back button works fine on my firefox running on android 9 ,dont use the unread dooda but i will have a go

Bugger just finding and clicking the unread dooda seized my tablet up lol

Is it different if you (presuming your on a tablet? Or phone?) Hit the 3 dots on the top of the firefox screen and ticked or unticked the "request desktop site"?

I'm using a desktop PC.

I  can't for the life of me understand how anyone can use a forum on a phone, I've looked in here and at others a couple of times when I've been away, but it's all just too small and cramped for me.

There's no three buttons on my screen anywhere, nor on the main forum index page.

• Like 1