Fair weather fisherman

Cameraman

1 hour ago, gozzer said:

Mmm, one of my replies on this thread seems to have disappeared, lost in transit I guess.

That's possible. Either that, or it got washed away.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

15 minutes ago, Phone said:

Gozzer,

Go for it - I can tell you are weakening .....  "I'd enjoy the chance of catching a few F1s"

Phone

I know you would Phone, but I'm a bit more particular in my angling goals.

I've been and got my bait Phone, and had a look at the canal and river. The river looks fishable, but is still rising, the canal looks pretty good, with an almost zero chance of an F1 making an appearance. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, it's the canal then.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

On 11/15/2019 at 4:53 PM, Tigger said:

John, you could try targetting the other species other than F1's?

Even propper carp, they put up a decent scrap and might keep your blood pumping and keep you warm :).

Those enquiries about the pond I mentioned  Ian, led me to believe that there is very little in apart from F1s, and a few commons in there. When I asked around only a couple had ever had anything other than F1s, the occasional common and the odd small roach and perch. 

I ended up going to the canal today. My first choice swim was taken so I had to try a new stretch where it's about 60 to 70 ft wide, and 10 ft deep at the rod tip. I struggled for most of the day, with prolonged heavy rain showers, and the local rowing club constantly going up and down. I nearly packed up a couple of times, but decided to stay under the umbrella and dry. There was intermittent flow as the locks were used, and on one occasion the float 'dragged' under only for the maggots to be missing on inspection. This happened a half dozen times and despite changing float, hook, depth, and varying the timing of the strike, I couldn't hit them. The rowers stopped at about 2-o-clock, and it coincided the rain stopping and the wind dropping. For about an hour I started getting very shy bites, and had a dozen or so roach, and a couple of perch, up to about 8oz. Then the rowing crews came out again, and the resulting 'chop' on the water made seeing bites difficult, I struggled on for a few more roach, then lost my hook on a snag, so packed up. As I walked back to the car, the boats stopped, it was flat calm, and the roach were topping all along the length, which left me thinking, if only...

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi John, Roundhay Park Waterloo lake is now Free Fishing, with some Big Perch, Big Roach & the odd tench. (& No F1's that I've heard of)

I fished the "Perch Wall" 5 or 6 years ago which is round the first corner past that outdoor swimming pool you could see looking down from the lake path.

Fished it most Sat's & Sun's as a Lad.

Waggler with Maggot/caster & especially Bread usually do OK. I doubt it's changed very much since then & it takes a lot of water. Can even use a keepnet in cool weather.

An option for another day maybe??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

1 minute ago, Martin56 said:

Hi John, Roundhay Park Waterloo lake is Free fishing, with some big Perch, Roach & the odd tench. (& No F1's that I've heard of)

I fished the "Perch Wall" 5 or 6 years ago which is round the first corner past that outdoor swimming pool you could see looking down from the lake path.

Waggler with Maggot/caster usually do OK. I doubt it's changed very much since then & it takes a lot of water.

I've fished Waterloo Lake at Roundhay for over 50 years Martin. It was bad enough when Leeds had it , but now it's not the safest place to go, especially if you're alone. The Lido went over 20years ago, and it's now a carpark. The dam wall has been completely rebuilt after it sprang a leak. The level went up and down by around 10 to 15 feet many times over the years, until a new sluice was built and the wall reinforced. The fishing was great when the level was low. My wife and I had a walk round the park, and both lakes, a couple of weeks ago, and there was just one guy fishing, dead baiting for pike. There are also some big carp, and large shoals of decent bream in the lake. 

I did think about going there, but thought better of it.

John.

Gozzer,

Have you considered a longer trip out. NW Sheffield,  Dam Flask. Massive. It has huge shoals of bream, roach, perch, many pike, some chub a few other species including the odd huge trout. Absolutely no carp whatsoever and the fish in there don't even know what F1 means. Less than a fiver a day, £3.40 I think if you're retired.

Tackle shop about 2 miles away that organises the Pennine reservoir championship or something, I  don't match fish but the owner talks to me about it as I know it well.

I've fished it on and off except when I was in the Army for over 50 years and have had some spectacular days, some blanks too.

Nice little cafe/post office in the village of Bradfield if you fancy a walk with the Mrs.

If you decide to try it, I'd be more than happy to show you which I consider the best swims.

It's rarely fished now, 1, cos it's got no carp, and 2, cos people like nice flat swims with fish bubbling under their feet.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

14 hours ago, Cameraman said:

Gozzer,

Have you considered a longer trip out. NW Sheffield,  Dam Flask. Massive. It has huge shoals of bream, roach, perch, many pike, some chub a few other species including the odd huge trout. Absolutely no carp whatsoever and the fish in there don't even know what F1 means. Less than a fiver a day, £3.40 I think if you're retired.

Tackle shop about 2 miles away that organises the Pennine reservoir championship or something, I  don't match fish but the owner talks to me about it as I know it well.

I've fished it on and off except when I was in the Army for over 50 years and have had some spectacular days, some blanks too.

Nice little cafe/post office in the village of Bradfield if you fancy a walk with the Mrs.

If you decide to try it, I'd be more than happy to show you which I consider the best swims.

It's rarely fished now, 1, cos it's got no carp, and 2, cos people like nice flat swims with fish bubbling under their feet.

Thank you very much for your offer, if I do make the trip over it will be in the summer, when we have longer days.

It must be 25+ years since I fished Dam Flask, I don't remember how it fished, but I do remember the size of the place. It was pretty daunting to a river angler like me. Although I have fished a few reservoirs, Hill top at Slaithwaite being the most often, I'm a river angler at heart, and feel more comfortable, and confident on moving water.

John.

• Like 1