Jigged lobworm

The Flying Tench

Has anybody had success with this? Any tips?  I've tried it a couple of times, but not enough to give it a fair trial. The only fish I had was a jack pike casting out with a float and towing back the lob mid-water.

I've had success lure fishing for perch in clear water, including ultra-lite with plastic lures moving very slowly on the bottom. I'm not too mobile now, though, but the thought occurs to me with jigged lobworm maybe I could stay in one swim and bait up with maggots. Might there be an advantage of lobworm, also, in this coloured water, that the perch would smell the bait? Though I know they mainly use sight rather than smell.

john clarke

Not 'jigged' lobworm John, but fishing 'sink and draw', has produced a variety of fish over the years. Perch, pike, and trout in particular, seem to like the movement, chub too, in the right swim. I just pinch on a swan shot, or a piece of tungsten putty, a foot or so above the hook, cast out, let it sink, then lift and lower the rod and vary the speed of retrieve. Bites can come as the bait falls, or more commonly, as you start to lift it. Casting parallel to the bank, especially past a willow, or casting out and letting the current swing it round, while still making it rise and fall, all work. 

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've caught lots of perch on drop-shotted lobworms. Jigging them would work too but you'd want a very light jig head so the drop back down is as slow as possible.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Off topic a little bit but; When I lived in Helston in Cornwall many years ago (when based at RNAS Culdrose) I used to put one or two no4 shot on 3lb line then hook half a worm on a size 14 hook and then let the current wash the worm downstream about 6 or 7 yards, then slowly retrieve it upstream along the bottom; my fridge and freezer always had a few trout in them for my breakfasts.

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Reckon a couple of Dendro's jigged on a quickstop through the middle would be more tantalising than just one lob worm?

Quickstops are great for worms - they can't wriggle off like they can from a barbless hook. They'll stay on till YOU take them off!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!