How do you decide where to fish when the rivers are up?

The Flying Tench

On 11/25/2019 at 1:31 PM, Dales said:

I would opt to play safe and go to the lake :)

All my fishing is confined to (commie) lakes these days sadly, I'd readily swap for a river in flood or not but for lack of my own transport.

Maybe I could cut down on tackle & start going back to the river on the bus?

I still have my late Dad's Wicker basket seat box, some decent centrepins (Ian would be happy to use if pushed) & trotting rods.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin, I just take hooks, shot, disgorgers, scissors/snips, headlamp and a tub of maggots. Folding anding net goes on my back or in my hand with the bucket of bait and my rod and reel goes in the other hand.  I don't bother with a seat or anything like that. If your on public transport you could get a multi section travel float rod from Youngs or a shakey one.  The6 sell for little money on ebay.

• Like 1

Got the Shakespeare 4 piece float rod and it's half way decent.

Aldi do a basic folding landing net from time to time but I bought a slightly bigger one with rubberised mesh for about £23 and it's my main net except when I'm deliberately targeting big fish.

Of course, fly and/or lure fishing are the ultimate in travelling light.

I do plenty of fishing trips by pushbike and most of them are further that the couple of kilometres between you and the Calder.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.