Eyed or spade end hooks....

Tigger

Yes Ian I agree one can tie just as quick if not quicker by hand.

I think one needs to also be able to tie by hand especially when tying direct to main line on the bank as using a hook tyer can be a bit more tricky when fully tackled up.

This Tyer is like the one I had in the 80's & much simpler to use than the one in that Vid', except mine had a little brass pin to loop the line around it which I'm not seeing here? Probably upgraded over the years & wasn't Drennan.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiB4Ky8ypDmAhUNsO0KHWglCU4YABATGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2pUhgyf3anCjAV7JaV5dWIBH0RW-Kd_sQeThhmFd6aBn0C4WVgVGbp985m1rqnLmTsCuo911pJhL7a6Ox2z3v&sig=AOD64_3_5e6OJX9_ZWt2u98eCW0s_3zC3g&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiX1qa8ypDmAhW1SBUIHSsRBTgQ9aACegQIDRBm&adurl=

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

No ones mentioned it's still possible to use a spade end and a hair rig, I do. From about a 16 up. I also often tie an eyed hook with spade knot after passing the line through the eye. Depends what hooks are available and what I'm doing at the time. I also have way too many hooks.

Put that in the other forum to add to the fun. (I don't use any other forum for my fishing but here)

I use an old matchman hook tyer in plastic but have just ordered, well about two months ago, one made in gold coloured metal from wish. (Just in case I drop it and can't see it, i tell myself)

I still use a 50 year centrepin for Carp fishing as well as trotting, but wouldn't even consider using a 50 year old cane rod.

It's what works for you on the day.

• Like 2
If all else fails, follow the intructions.

The suicidal trout down the river wouldnt care if you used an anchor if theres bread involved ,as to the rest (and theres few course fish anymore) if they dislike granny knots in ringed hooks i dont really mind ,fish are not the end game when i fish

I have boxes of a 100 spade hooks bought in the 70 probably rusty now ,i used to tie them but now its pre tied if i need an excuse if the knot slips

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've had a look at the thread on the forum, and some of the member seem rather anal with their comments. AN is the only forum I'm a member of, as I don't think I would last long on any of the others, unless I bit my tongue, and sat on my hands.

As to the actual subject, I use spade hooks up to size 8 with no problem. I prefer a larger fine wire hook for fishing bread flake for roach, and it gives the option of pulling to straighten the hook if you latch onto a nuisance carp. I use a method of tying that the late Dick Walker suggested in an article years ago. I've no idea what it is called, but although I can't tie them in the dark as Dick Walker suggested, I do find it very easy to tie. My fingers aren't as nimble as they once were, but I can still hold size 12 and bigger in my thumb and forefinger, for smaller hooks I grip them in long forceps, and grip those between my knees. The thing I like about this knot, is that when tightening up, you pull the tag end, not the main hook length, and thus ensure that there's no chance of a 'pigs tail' on the hook length. As cameraman says, the tag end can be used as a hair if you want it. Whether I use a spade or eyed hook is basically down to the target species, the bait being used, the nature of the swim, as well as the clarity of the water, and presentation needed.

Since getting back on the bank the other year, I have bought some ready tied hooks, mainly for convenience, but have found that the Kamasan hooks were prone to unravel if you have to use a disgorger a few times on them. It could be a bad batch, or the type of disgorger, but I'm wary of using them now. 

John.

PS, I also prefer the line coming off the inside of the spade, and don't recall having any problems with it.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

As you said with the line coming off the inside,  it pays to chop and change and a variation in presentation can result in a fish on a difficult day, or fool that shy Roach.

I've lost count of the number I've retied due to a pigs tail. But that's my bad and no fault of the hook or lines.

The one thing that puts me off ready rigs (pre tied) is I often tangle them taking out of the packet. I also sometimes need to cut down the overly long length or retie the loop. I also always pull on the hook to test the knot strength. Surprisingly how many fail a simple pull. Some brands worse than others.

• 2 weeks later...

Just shake the line & keep everything slack, don't PULL anything, you'll see the loose loops & will hardly ever tangle it.

Never Ever had a problem with Drennan  re un raveling. 

I love the Drennan Red Hooks - Ready tied in size 20, 18, 16 & 14.

I'd go for a 12 to 15 inch hook length all day long for the shy Roach.

Reckon they can otherwise see the loop to loop link if shorter?

Fish are pretty stupid but they do learn!!

I would Defy anyone saying they could tie a hook BETTER than Drennan.

£2.50 for 8 - whats not to like!!

Edited by Martin56

7 hours ago, Martin56 said:

I would Defy anyone saying they could tie a hook BETTER than Drennan.

I've never had a problem with anything Drennan, my best rods are Drennan Red range.

I have had problems with NGT  and Aitken, NGT in knots pulling and massive tails. Aitken in tangling. 

I also find NGT are sized wrong, you often see 16 & 14 identical and others too and generally they're a least a size wrong compared to Drennan. 

Having bought NGT in bulk across the range I'm stuck with them for a while. I guess not all bargains are bargains. I'm not a match fisherman so can afford the few minutes to check and re tie on the bank.

Edited by Cameraman
Auto correct spells wrong
  • Like 1

I also have quite a stock of NGT's across the size range off eBay a few year ago & only used a couple of times.

I'm not impressed at all with them so have just put them away never to be used again. :bye1:

• Like 1

All,

Best of the best for trotting.  Also available in spade end(disclaimer, often in American fishing lingo "spade end" can mean "hook point)??

Also, I thought I'd throw in the footwear of the future

Phone

image.jpeg.abb2f511b7872082bdb4841cf184836e.jpeg

Shimano American Corporation
Flats Wading Boots

ICAST 2016 Best Footwear

Edited by Phone
added boots
  • Haha 1