Wife Fed Up Of Holding Spool & Pencil??

Martin56

Keith, I too have a charcoal stick hand warmer from the 70's - The issue these days being the Asbestos Matting inside the case where the fuel stick goes!! :busted_cop: (I'm surmising It can only be Asbestos - given from that time?)

May be still safe to use being woven, but not worth any risk IMO. (ie blowing on the fuel stick when in place & dislodging/Inhaling any loose Asbestos Fibres)

Hopefully, we all got away with it.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I'm seeing now - could be actually Glass Fibre & Maybe not Asbestos after all as I first suspected?? (Though some were)

Better safe than sorry. 

• Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I'm

seeing now - could be actually Glass Fibre & Maybe not Asbestos after all as I first suspected?? (Though some were)

Better safe than sorry.

Martin It doesn’t look like asbestos in the ones I have; it’s more like a woollen material.

When I first joined the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy and did Aircraft Crash Rescue, I used to wear a fire proofed white headwear/helmet and a two piece thick woollen outer suit which we had to fire proof ourselves by soaking our fire suits in two chemicals and which allowed us to rescue the pilot and observer which could mean us having to walk through the flames, although it would only be completely fire proof for a few minutes so we had to be fairly fast.

It could be a similarly proofed natural material like our fire suits.

I would still rather use the more modern battery driven hand warmers though.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

15 hours ago, Martin56 said:

I'm seeing now - could be actually Glass Fibre & Maybe not Asbestos after all as I first suspected?? (Though some were)

Better safe than sorry. 

Mine doesn’t look like it’s Asbestos material that’s being used. It looks like it is a softish woollen material.

When I first joined the Fleet Air Arm branch of the Royal Navy many years ago and worked in Aircrew Fire Rescue; we had to Fire proof our thick woollen body suits by soaking them in a chemical solution to allow us to be able to walk through the flames when rescuing the pilot and observer; although our suits were only fully fire proof for a few minutes so we had to be fast.

Maybe the hand warmers use a similarlarly proofed woollen material in them.

I would still much rather use one of the modern battery Hand warmers though.

NB: I ended up serving in three different branches during my service career also including the Photographic branch and the Meteorological branch)

Keith.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)