Old mitchell reels

Tigger

• Thanks 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Chester's, that's a useful site with the parts diagrams.

My tiny little problem is that one is a Chinese copy and the parts are "similar" but not identical. A small and I mean really small retaining clip/spring (watchmaker small) is missing. It actually makes little difference in use but if I was to swap spools whilst fishing I could loose the inverted V.

I've managed to downsize the picture enough on my phone, you can see the size against my finger tip. Tiny. Maybe pinhead size or a touch smaller. 

20200112_082930.jpg

Edited by Cameraman
Auto correct spells wrong
If all else fails, follow the intructions.

Is it similar enough to file the original to fit? Or fit the originel and use originel spools?

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The thing is all the reels are in working order, so it would be wrong to canibilise one for another at this time. On the original the inverted V is a permanent fitting just a drop of oil needed once a service. On the copy the V has a slightly larger hole and a tiny retainer possible a circlip to hold it. I'm toying with the idea of some line maybe as little as 8lb or less thick to replace it and a soldering iron to blob the line ends together. Failing that I know a chap who does jewellery and watch repairs and I'm sure we'll come up with something. It's just a matter of putting on the thinking head and not the rushing head.

Maybe the 8 Lb Line or Fuse wire & a Blob of Epoxy?? Or solder if Fuse wire.

Get the wire out of a 13 or 5 amp Fuse (the end caps come off easy with pliers) if you don't have any loose on those card coils. Remember, back in old Fuse Box days!!

A 40 amp wire might be better??

There are some 2 & 3 mm StarLock washers on the Bay which may do the trick?? They pop over the end so grip just like a circlip!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Thanks 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Thanks Martin, all good ideas and worth a try. 

I do have some card with fuse wire on, in one of my 'might come in useful' boxes stacked in the garage. 

I'll have a look at those star washers.

I'd even thought of enlarging the head with either a blob of solder or epoxy.

I've even considered cutting it off and drilling it out carefully and replacing with a cut down pin, nail or even screw and holding in place with glue on the stem. 

Once fixed in place it'll be there for life, with an odd drop of oil to lubricate.

If the hole in the starlock washer is too small to SNAP over (Note they are starlock & not just star) the hole can be eased out with a round diamond coated Needle file till it does. It won't drill because the slots will jam up the drill bit.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:00 PM, Tigger said:

Hats off to Martin :).

Twas really an easy decision to let them go, I've all the reels I need to see me out.

Nice to see them go to a good home & for them to be used again in anger. :fishing:

I can tell from meeting him, Andy will look after them for me.

Especially the 300 with all the paint chips Andy - that one was my late Dad's , the best thing is the knowledge it'll be used again. That, for me will celebrate his life just right!!

Enjoy with my pleasure Bud'.

Fixed Spools were at first called "Casting Reels".

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1