Mango Time

Bobj

16 hours ago, Ken L said:

Muppets in Darwin planted mango trees along the streets. When I was there a few years ago, the flying foxes were in town and making a hell of a mess.

Nothing the local Air rifle fraternity couldn't sort!! ;)

Yes they are a protected species but dispensation can be given to cull given extenuating circumstances!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Haha 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

20 hours ago, Phone said:

Bobj,

It's well to hear summer and fruit stories.  Arce-hole deep in snow -5.5c 

Phone

Living in a deep freeze isn't good for the arteries, Phone...Much prefer 35 C to -5.5C

• Like 1

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

18 hours ago, Martin56 said:

Nothing the local Air rifle fraternity couldn't sort!! ;)

Yes they are a protected species but dispensation can be given to cull given extenuating circumstances!!

When you see about 20,000 of the stinking, evil creatures take about 15 minutes to fly past, it gets that you need a barrage of 12 gauge shotguns. Absolute decimation of backyard mango trees. Yesterday, Mum and I cleaned up my nextie's garden (he has 2 new hips), we threw a wheelbarrow full of kensington pride mangoes into the rubbish pit. That was one night's foray by the blighters in one garden tree...

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Persimmons come in two species - American and Chinese.

American persimmons are small and always astringent. They are however very hardy and they are often used as rootstocks.

Chinese persimmons are generally bigger and come in both  astringent and non-astringent varieties. The Japanese "Fuyu" and Israeli "Sharron" cultivars are among the best known non-astringent varieties and both are fairly large.

The astringent varieties are good but they need to be very ripe before eating.

The UK is borderline for growing persimmons but I have one in the garden.

Rarer and hardier than persimmons are pawpaws - a proper "tropical" fruit that is fully hardy in the UK. I currently have three trees but they are a few years away from fruiting.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

When you see about 20,000 of the stinking, evil creatures take about 15 minutes to fly past, it gets that you need a barrage of 12 gauge shotguns. Absolute decimation of backyard mango trees. Yesterday, Mum and I cleaned up my nextie's garden (he has 2 new hips), we threw a wheelbarrow full of kensington pride mangoes into the rubbish pit. That was one night's foray by the blighters in one garden tree...

A Sea Witch will sort that problem for you.

• Like 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."