anyone with a lathe?

chesters1

Been watching a few youtube vids on removing snapped bolts and studs and one enterprising chap has come up with a very good method of making sure your drill goes down the exact center of the bolt so you can peel out the old thread.

Having done a couple in the past thats definately how to do it with the least problems like the drill wandering off line and you hitting the threads of the thing the bolt screws into

My problem is i need some bolts drilling on a lathe which i dont have nor the means of drilling an exact hole on a pillar drill .(got one of those but not the skill to drill exactly)

Is there anyone out there that could make me a set of bolts with a hole right through in the exact middle? Say 13mm down to 5mm with the hole half the diameter of the bolt  .in theory if you have a few threads showing you screw in the guide bolt and drill the old one ,bit more tricky if its snapped off flush but every thing helps!

Not expecting it for free both the expenses of doing it and sending them to me would be covered thanks

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

1 hour ago, chesters1 said:

Been watching a few youtube vids on removing snapped bolts and studs and one enterprising chap has come up with a very good method of making sure your drill goes down the exact center of the bolt so you can peel out the old thread.

Having done a couple in the past thats definately how to do it with the least problems like the drill wandering off line and you hitting the threads of the thing the bolt screws into

My problem is i need some bolts drilling on a lathe which i dont have nor the means of drilling an exact hole on a pillar drill .(got one of those but not the skill to drill exactly)

Is there anyone out there that could make me a set of bolts with a hole right through in the exact middle? Say 13mm down to 5mm with the hole half the diameter of the bolt  .in theory if you have a few threads showing you screw in the guide bolt and drill the old one ,bit more tricky if its snapped off flush but every thing helps!

Not expecting it for free both the expenses of doing it and sending them to me would be covered thanks

Have you tried bolt extractors chesters, that's all I've ever used. The hole doesn't have to be dead centre for them to work. A squirt of WD40, or sometimes slight heat helps the more stubborn ones.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolt-extractor-set-5-pieces/1112V?kpid=1112V&ds_kid=&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&msclkid=b46e5d4879f816651a1e034f94206014&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PX | Shopping | Tools&utm_term=4583520379910419&utm_content=G - Power Tool Accessories&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=CJGNq_DH2eYCFUO_Gwod52IA2g&gclsrc=ds

John

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I have gried them but i find the bolts are harder than the damned extractors and after one or two attempts theres no thread left on the extractors .

I also have a duel ended set which are very good one end is a drill the other the extractor

But in both of them you really need to drill out the exact center because most of the time the snapped bolt end isnt perfectly flat and the drill wanders off center even when you use a punch to mark it!

I remember completely buggering up the cylinder on my honda trying to drill out a snapped exhause stud the alloy threads totally shagged when the drill hit them.

Just bought a set of cobalt left hand drills which in many occasions unscrews the stud just drilling them but again you must drill the exact center of the bolt which these adapted bolts should help with

Just finished watching a chap snap sockets trying to undo a wheel lock on a bmw some arese had pounded them in so had they had deformed and he snapped every one of them trying to undo them he ended up drilling them with drill guides but these are designed for the job not bolts or studs as small as tinkerers use .

If my sister turns up with a stuck wheel lock nut i will show her the exit!

F

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

https://www.google.com/search?q=BURMAX+-+49+HEMING+RD%2C+REDDISH&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-m

?

I think they sold out?

Edited by chesters1

Cannot see any drilled bolts  but trying to find the company took me to this!

Rather than a drilled bolt a stand off or connector could achieve the same thing if the stud has snapped leavinf a few threads open to rest it in

https://www.pts-uk.com/products/nuts/round-connector-nuts

Cheers

Blimey for that price i could get some bloke to drill things out for me about 10 times!

1 hour ago, chesters1 said:

Blimey for that price i could get some bloke to drill things out for me about 10 times!

chesters - see your PM.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!