anyone with a lathe?

chesters1

Thanks and now you have one

All this googling has made me aware of rivnuts! I know whats on my shopping list on ebay this week! The hours they would have saved bodging the crap body work on my daughters last scooter after some clot knocked it over and buggered off!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 11:09 PM, chesters1 said:

Thanks and now you have one

All this googling has made me aware of rivnuts! I know whats on my shopping list on ebay this week! The hours they would have saved bodging the crap body work on my daughters last scooter after some clot knocked it over and buggered off!

Have you heard of "PLUS GAS"??, the best penetrating fluid ever - will un- seize the rustiest fasteners. 

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Yes ,liquid spanner is also not bad .some chap on youtube does shoot outs and compares various brands of things  but ofcourse most are american brands but entertaining .

Heat is the best theres now a bit of kit that uses electricity to heat up a stuck bolt but to expensive for the tinkerer

Thanks to Martin56 my problem is solved but bolt removing gossip welcome

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2020 at 8:49 PM, chesters1 said:

Thanks to Martin56 my problem is solved but bolt removing gossip welcome

Hi Dave, remember those Bolts I drilled for you before Lockdown?? 

Well, I've just seen you can get "Left Hand Drills" used in reverse rev's so there is a Very good chance that the broken screws will come out  on the end of the drill!!!

Watch this till the very end ......

Here's How to Drill a Bolt through the Centre for a Drill guide (Dave) without using a Lathe!!  I'm unable to do anymore as I'm now retired.

It's in the 2nd part of the Vid' after the Lathe Demo' ......

Edited by Martin56

Here's a nice set of Left Hand Drill bits, (Run Drill in Reverse) Loads on Amazon & eBay. Will remove/unscrew broken screws in a lot of cases without further tooling!!

Not a Limited use - also use to drill normal holes - just in Reverse Rev's. (Check that your Drill has "Reverse", My Old Black & Decker Mains one Doesn't!!)

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiY2NO46oz0AhU2R5EFHa_rAi4YABAKGgJscg&ae=2&sig=AOD64_3tp0cWlwyFqrFvh6UGUUjVjS7ljw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj32ci46oz0AhXGN8AKHWreDUMQ9aACegUIARCMAQ&adurl=

Edited by Martin56

I have a set of left handed cobalt drill ready for seized bolts .I got you to kindly make the drill guides because my pillar drill cannot run anti clockwise 😢 The pillar drill wouldnt need the guides  ofcourse the drill comes down absolutely straight .The only way i can use them would be with an ordinary drill and you (i) need the guides to make sure my trembling hands get the drill not only vertical  but in the middle so the threads the bolt screws into on the item are not damaged .

Whilst i have a set of thread inserts they are not ideal and getting it done properly the first time better ,i remember the hassel of damaging the hole on the exhaust of my honda trying to drill out the stud and wandering off center 😢

I wangled 3 sets of these for £2.99 a set ,strangely they are no longer available on amazon uk ,the drills in them are cobalt ! They flew through stainless and brass etc i found many underpriced items from the sellers and grabbed them even reverse osmosisis systems for a tenner i grabbed two the filters themselves are more than that! I suspect the sellers are uk based chinese dropshippers and not only English is their second language but our monetry system aswell ! Probably houses with a couple of illegal chinese with rooms full of chinese imports ,whether its more lucrative than chinese run hash filled houses i dont know (they lost a lot of money dealing with me lol)

https://www.amazon.fr/Cocoarm-réparation-Filetage-Ensemble-dinserts/dp/B08TZQSWZV

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p222nfhutjtwgb0/screenshot_20211110-134630.png?dl=0 i bought one saw it was ok then grabbed 2 more

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eetx9htms24zzs0/screenshot_20211110-135217.png?dl=0 same here except the priced went up to £13  🙄

Having experience of unknown make drills being as blunt as rock and bending at strange angles i now invest in known makes its easy to complain ,trying to get a refund from some chink when you discover their drill are crap 6 months down the line when you first use them ,i save the standard drill for my mrs and son to break and i keep my millwaukee and sealy cobalt ones for me 🤫

I have been musing about buying one of those cheap drill stands for ordinary drills ,they wont be as good as a pillar drill but it would mean the drill drilled verticaly

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cds3-drill-stand-with-vice/

It would be nice if they had a way off drilling at an angle but most things i want have not been invented yet for the amatuer at a price for occasional use 

Your drill link is confusing M2 steel doesnt have cobalt as far as i can make out!?! And any covering on the drill is pretty pointless it wont be on the cutting edge which is the bit that counts ,shades of those titanium coated drills being hard enough to drill anything! I can coat mild steel with titanium it doesnt make the drill better lol lost count of blunt titanium coated drills i chucked away before i bought decent ones

Edited by chesters1

OK Dave, so for Drilling at an Angle, you need a Slot Drill which will give you a nice Flat Face from which to start your normal twist drill.

Slot Drills cut on one edge first, then progress until both edges are cutting to produce a flat bottom face.

Slot drills are expensive - I'd have "Borrowed" one from work should the timing have been better lol.

Edited by Martin56