Dreaming of warmer days and holidays

The Flying Tench

This is the time of year when I (we?) dream of holidays, but I'm a bit short of ideas for 2020. I got the Anglers World brochure, but for European coarse fishing they mainly have ads for B&Bs and chalets, and it's hard to evaluate or decide where to go. Has anyone had any good fishing breaks away from where they live in the last few years, or even good times fishing when on a family holiday? I guess I'm thinking UK, Ireland or continental Europe.

I note there are quite a few Dutch fishing guides on the web, mainly for jigging for predators. A bit expensive for one person, or perhaps they will fit you in with a group? Has anyone had any experience of them?

john clarke

Or closer to home you could also spend a few days staying at a guest house alongside the river Stour at Throop mill (near Bournemouth in Dorset).

I used to regularly do this with a couple of friends staying at a guest house next to the river, but haven’t done this for years.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

8 hours ago, BoldBear said:

Or closer to home you could also spend a few days staying at a guest house alongside the river Stour at Throop mill (near Bournemouth in Dorset).

I used to regularly do this with a couple of friends staying at a guest house next to the river, but haven’t done this for years.

Keith

That's interesting BB. I'm planning to have a short trip to the south coast this year, and could well include Throop. What time of year did you go, and what did you catch? I suppose you can't remember the name of the guest house?

john clarke

@The Flying Tench, A bit more to that photo. I was fishing with a couple of youngsters this morning and one of them knows the bloke in the photo. Seems he was just walking along the bank and saw the fish further along the bank, dead. He reasoned that it was from hot weather????...And reasoned that it was 50 kg.????? So, it made the local news

Most likely caught and kept out of the water too long, while taking photos. As to size, I reckon 35 kg would be a lot closer.

BTW,  Kinchant Dam has an impressive record for barra.

https://kinchantwaters.com.au/

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

16 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

That's interesting BB. I'm planning to have a short trip to the south coast this year, and could well include Throop. What time of year did you go, and what did you catch? I suppose you can't remember the name of the guest house?

I can’t remember the guest house we used but I got the address from ads in the Anglers Mail.

We caught some cracking Chub up to just over 5lb and a few Barbel and quality Roach and the guest house used to do us a hearty breakfast, packed lunches and an evening meal if we wanted one and it had refrigerators to keep all our bait in and decent rod storage in the garage.

My biggest Barbel from Throop was just over 11lb and my biggest Chub was 5lb 6oz but there are bigger fish in there.

We always had a great time and it was great being just across the road from the river.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Interesting, BB. Barbel are great fish, but the problem is that in so many places you only catch them at night or at least dusk, so if you're on a fishing break there's the problem of what to do in the day. But roach and chub allow more flexibility. What time of year did you go? I remember someone saying that on the Stour you need to go in winter when the weed has washed away? Did the roach take big baits when you were chub and barbel fishing, or did you target them specially?

Thanks

John

john clarke

It was usually in the Autumn, and we usually fished for the Chub, Roach, Perch and Dace during the mornings and afternoons using breadflake, lively redworm, Maggots and casters; we also took peeled prawns and Luncheonmeat specifically for use on larger hooks for both the Chub and the Barbel.

Most of our larger Chub (over 4 and 5lb-plus) were usually caught on large pieces of breadflake or pieces of sunken crust, and peeled Prawn also caught us a few cracking sized Chub too.

The Barbel were usually caught in the late afternoons and into dusk and we usually stuck to Luncheonmeat when they came on the feed.

The decent sized Roach were not always caught on the smaller baits either. We occasionally had decent sized Roach on Luncheonmeat and a size 6 hook while we were targeting Barbel.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear