Dreaming of warmer days and holidays

The Flying Tench

A youngster on here asked about baits for Barbel & I recommended ROBIN RED pre drilled 8 mm hard pellets on a hair rig.

A week or so later the lad posted on here that he caught a cracking 14 lb Barbel on the Trent.

They work best on a banded hair & better still IMO with the band pulled into the drilled hole with a thin hooked baiting needle. (The hole being a bit too small for a quickstop hair as most break in half) You could of course open out the hole with a slightly bigger drill for a Quickstop though. 

I've Quickstopped them by just pushing it in like a Bayonet, but some will still break in 2 whilst doing it.

You get loads in a 900 gram bag for about a fiver, so more than enough for Loose feed as well. (I believe in loose feeding in the same size as hook bait so as not to arouse suspicion??) Nearly all bites try to pull the rod in!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 2

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I've already planned and paid deposits for 4 holidays this year. I plan all my holidays around fishing. My wife's happy with that and it suits us both. I usually tow my caravan everywhere and pick specific campsites that have either fishing on site or fishing close by. There are several in Norfolk that I can almost fish from the caravan direct into the river. Plenty that are no more than 100 yards and 100s that are but a short drive. A lot of small sites have there own river frontage and generally it's either free or very cheap. Some stretches believe it or not are rarely fished and are fantastic holding areas in high boat season.

This year I've also booked a cottage on the river for 3 weeks in July. A lot of cottages that are advertised have there own bait fridges or tackle storage areas. Almost all have parking outside and fishing is inclusive in the price. It's nice to be on a private frontage as you can fish early, leave your tackle(hooks out of the water obviously) go have breakfast/lunch/ whatever and return later at a more productive time without having to re set up.

I often set up a bivi, just to zip up my bait away from ducks and geese while I go cook breakfast for us both. I also pack in fishing sometimes at the height of the boat traffic or trot down the margins. Occasionally ledger and back lead to keep things on the bottom if a lot of boats.

There are other places of course but they take a little more research and seeking out. I've just been recommend a site at Hubberts Bridge with it's own river frontage that I'm going to be looking into and a site at Ripon that has a noted Chub stretch either on site or close.

• Like 1
If all else fails, follow the intructions.

On 1/5/2020 at 2:56 PM, BoldBear said:

It was usually in the Autumn, and we usually fished for the Chub, Roach, Perch and Dace during the mornings and afternoons using breadflake, lively redworm, Maggots and casters; we also took peeled prawns and Luncheonmeat specifically for use on larger hooks for both the Chub and the Barbel.

Most of our larger Chub (over 4 and 5lb-plus) were usually caught on large pieces of breadflake or pieces of sunken crust, and peeled Prawn also caught us a few cracking sized Chub too.

The Barbel were usually caught in the late afternoons and into dusk and we usually stuck to Luncheonmeat when they came on the feed.

The decent sized Roach were not always caught on the smaller baits either. We occasionally had decent sized Roach on Luncheonmeat and a size 6 hook while we were targeting Barbel.

Keith

sounds great, thanks BB

john clarke

On 1/6/2020 at 8:02 AM, Cameraman said:

I've already planned and paid deposits for 4 holidays this year. I plan all my holidays around fishing. My wife's happy with that and it suits us both. I usually tow my caravan everywhere and pick specific campsites that have either fishing on site or fishing close by. There are several in Norfolk that I can almost fish from the caravan direct into the river. Plenty that are no more than 100 yards and 100s that are but a short drive. A lot of small sites have there own river frontage and generally it's either free or very cheap. Some stretches believe it or not are rarely fished and are fantastic holding areas in high boat season.

This year I've also booked a cottage on the river for 3 weeks in July. A lot of cottages that are advertised have there own bait fridges or tackle storage areas. Almost all have parking outside and fishing is inclusive in the price. It's nice to be on a private frontage as you can fish early, leave your tackle(hooks out of the water obviously) go have breakfast/lunch/ whatever and return later at a more productive time without having to re set up.

I often set up a bivi, just to zip up my bait away from ducks and geese while I go cook breakfast for us both. I also pack in fishing sometimes at the height of the boat traffic or trot down the margins. Occasionally ledger and back lead to keep things on the bottom if a lot of boats.

There are other places of course but they take a little more research and seeking out. I've just been recommend a site at Hubberts Bridge with it's own river frontage that I'm going to be looking into and a site at Ripon that has a noted Chub stretch either on site or close.

Hey Cameraman

Sounds like you've got it well sorted. Have any of the places you've been to produced good roach or, in summer, rudd or crucians?

john clarke

20 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

Hey Cameraman

Sounds like you've got it well sorted. Have any of the places you've been to produced good roach or, in summer, rudd or crucians?

There's a match type lake, definitely worth a look, Cross Drove Fishery, near Thetford that produces some nice Roach and Crucians, it's hard to tell if the Rudd are pure. The lake contains huge shoals of bream as well as various sizes of Carp so targeting the Roach alone is difficult. I found a handful of hemp with a tare buried in the hook fished tight to the lilies or tight in the margins under branches picked out some decent fish, but it's hard to find a bait that the resident Carp don't snatch. Corn, pellet, etc produced Carp. Worm, catch Bream and Eells. I also had Wells on worm or cockles. I had a little success on bread flake and maggot but the F1s soon move in. Mid week its quiet so can take a roving approach if you talk to the bailiff. 

I also fish a stretch at Cold Harbour on the River Thurne, and another at St Bennetts Abbey on the River Bure, that's mostly bream but throws up the odd nice Roach and occasional wild Carp.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not cheap - but I highly recommend Anglers Paradise in Devon.  been there 3 times and booked up again for June this year.

and I'm going to keep going back until I get a 5lb+ golden tench :)

The wife and I also really enjoyed Cherry Lakes in the cotswolds, great for a chilled out couples break as you literally fish from the patio of your lodge.

Mat

• Like 1

Mat

Hi Mark

Good to hear re Anglers Paradise etc. I'd always assumed such places are mainly carp.Are there decent roach, rudd or crucians?

The trouble is I don't think my wife would want to come, so it would just be me. I imagine that would work out expensive

john clarke

My wife used to fish with me years ago but cant now. She still tells me to book where I can fish(or shoot). I always fancied Anglers paradise, but it does look expensive at first look. All things relevant, if you have good fishing you get your moneys worth then it seems cheaper.

Take my other pass time, shooting. Cheaper for the "gear" cheaper for the licence (£80 for 5 years). Bait and ammo is comparable, buy expensive, buy cheap, use what you use. No real add ons like floats or end tackle. But.........and it's a big but, game shooting can cost £1000 a day, I don't game shoot, I couldn't possible afford or justify it. You even have to pay the greedy farmers to shoot vermin, foxes, pigeons, magpies, etc. Varies from day to day, but they expect at least 20, better 50 and a bottle at xmas. Clay pigeon shooting varies from £15 a shoot to .35p per clay.

A days shoot with my son, while my wife and his partner enjoy the on site spa, easily over £500. 

A week at Anglers paradise or a cottage on the River............... it's what you make of it and the enjoyment level, memories.

I often come in from a bad days shoot, thinking I could have had a weeks fishing in the caravan for that. When I'm sat in the cold and rain fishing or blanking, I think I could be shooting instead of here.

When its sunny, I'm happy with either. Winter blues for me.

• Like 1

Anglers paradise has a mix of both "specimen" carp and cat lakes and mixed lakes. they also have some more exotic stuff that you can't fish for in many places such as the Koi, golden orfe and golden tench.

As for a couples holiday,  the Villas are very comfortable and you are about 8 miles from Bude,  but a car is essential if you want to do some sightseeing,  AP really is in the middle of nowhere! however the fishing is a short walk from the Villas and bar area.

I really love it there, couple of pics attached, but I do either go alone or with my (angler) brother. a non angler would probably get bored if they didn't have transport to leave the site while you are fishing.

Mat 

Catfish41lb.jpg

goldentench.jpg

Mat