Book swap or recommendation?

*Ant*

Are there any book readers amongst members? I am myself and like to read "weird" stuff. I've just had my interest tweaked by Behold a Pale Horse by Milton Cooper, I think that will be my next indulgence. 

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read quite a bit, mostly  sci-fi, fantasy or thrillers, but I also like to pick up an autobiography every time I go to the library,  I don't look for celebrities, I like them to be about ordinary people. I think the most interesting that I've read recently  was *Long Shot* by Azad Cudi.

I think i put down a science fantasy book called Alices World once after a few pages ,i dont mind science fiction but some go to far in science fantasy!

My most loved "normal" book (which i just rebought as a gift to a neighbour in death row in a nursing home) is First Overland by Tim Slessor ,tales of daring do which made me as a 9 year old to get a land rover which i did in my 30's unfortunately the book lasted longer than the land rovers (over hyped crap) and was probably better off road aswell.

I havnt read any books for 20 years old age has made me question why am i reading little more than sugar coated opinion on "celebrities" who become celebrities for nothing more than knowing someone for a few fleeting seconds and newspapers for 10 years for pretty much the opposite doom and gloom appears to sell stuff only fit for starting fires

These celebs dont wait a lifetime to air their dirty washing they get some ghost writer to write bile whilst in their early 20's because they know in five seconds they will have faded and no one will know who they were!

The moon is a baloon mind you is an excellent read by what was a true celebrity and a great read

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Graham Hancock's books are a very good read and recommended. One of the best reads in years for me was Our Occulted History by Jim Marrs, a very thought provoking book if you have an open mind and like the idea of "what if". 

1 hour ago, *Ant* said:

Graham Hancock's books are a very good read and recommended. One of the best reads in years for me was Our Occulted History by Jim Marrs, a very thought provoking book if you have an open mind and like the idea of "what if". 

You mean the ancient civilisations chap?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

All,

I have no tolerance any longer for fiction. Thus, I've given up reading political fish wraps. It is likely I'll be reduced to children's rhymes and dirty jokes by month's end. 

I maintain my staunch resistance to turning on any TV.

Knock knock

Phone

7 hours ago, *Ant* said:

Yep that's the fella Ken. 

Seen some of his presentations. They're good yarns but fall flat when you look a bit deeper - and of course, a basic understanding of the Columbian exchange and human nature kills his theories dead.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

7 hours ago, Ken L said:

Seen some of his presentations. They're good yarns but fall flat when you look a bit deeper - and of course, a basic understanding of the Columbian exchange and human nature kills his theories dead.

I'm not so sure Ken, and some of his research goes back way way further than the Columbian exchange, in some cases thousands of years. I'd never say i'm a firm believer in all he says, but I do have a fascination with the "what if", and have an open mind to alternative theories. One thing that stuck in my mind was that a "lost" tribe that were discovered in the Amazon in the early part of the 20th century, who had had no contact with the outside world, knew that Sirius was a binary star system and they referred to it as the mother and child star. I just love quirky mysteries such as that. :)

For sci-fi, The Bobiverse series by Dennis E Taylor are very good, with a 4th and 5th book (actually a large 2-parter) coming out sometime. Well recommended.

Also Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I'm not going to give away any spoilers, but in the very first sentence the Moon breaks apart.....

The Martian by Andy Weir is one of the few books I've read then immediately started reading again and enjoyed it just as much the second time!

Any book by Terry Pratchett.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.