Is it time to close the airports yet Dave?

Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

If you believe our so called 'experts,' it seems the leader of china has the virus!

Our 'experts' say uninfected people should not wear masks ,he is so according to their quack ideas he MUST be infected.

I think anything you do (despite what the 'experts' say) is worth trying so long as you realise its far better not to mix in places you could get the virus!

My opinion is if you dont want to die of coronavirus in italy or china DONT frickin go to italy or china and secondly (and far to late) dont frickin come back here and infect me because of your selfish choices!

Your selfish disire to travel will have consequences in my world once you leave this country you shouldnt be allowed back in and you can visit your foreign chums for ever and infect more of them until they are all gone

We can make our own diseases thanks we dont need to import foreigners ones but the government by not closing the borders after ww2 (you know we had to pop over to france along with the yanks to sort their problems out) obviously dont give a crap for those that employ them to serve us!

The government is desperate to kill us off so much so they considered a third runway at heathrow so more foreign diseases could be let loose on the population didnt they learn with TB and foreigners ? What do we pay these waste of skin in the first place!

A linky for cod ,he ownly believes things if theres a link ,probably wont believe one to truth he likes opinion and only opinion the same as his! Even if its based on fairy tales

Rhttps://www.nhs.uk/news/medical-practice/tb-rises-in-uk-and-london/

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I find it a little odd that the reported death rate around the world of those infected seems to hover around the 2-3%, yet in Italy it's being reported at over 7%. Is it a case that the Italian authorities are being truthful and other countries around the world are, cynically speaking, playing it down a touch?

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

I think its difficult when you have an underline medical condition or old did the virus do it or the medical condition worsen because of it and you died abit easier?

Boris was bold he came to the point that death will come many fold ,he could have closed the borders last year but he told you straight your gonna die!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

7 hours ago, *Ant* said:

I find it a little odd that the reported death rate around the world of those infected seems to hover around the 2-3%, yet in Italy it's being reported at over 7%. Is it a case that the Italian authorities are being truthful and other countries around the world are, cynically speaking, playing it down a touch?

The median age in Italy is higher than in China and we know that age is a factor.

At some point, the 32 poor sods who were on the Diamond Princess and who have been in a serious/critical condition for two weeks are going to be taken off support so that the kit can be made available to others and that will push the death rate among those infected aboard above 7%.

Finally, people are realising that in a rapidly expanding epidemic, where most of the identified cases are in the first week of illness (before complications start), the apparent death rate will be much lower than the actual death rate if you only look at deaths as a percentage of known cases - and this article was released this week without fuss while the media bleated on about Donald Trump and football cancelations:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30195-X/fulltext

This is not the flu or a cold with attitude. This is a killer.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Is it worth starting a dedicated coronavirus thread? We are hyjacking your Ebola one.

Been stock taking today (taking the governments talking in mind ) whilst not in my 70's the mrs and i do have underlying medical conditions (me especially) i found it amusing that advice about long term self isolation for the over 70's could be released in weeks! (We could all be dead by then ) but we thing prevention is better than cure not that there is one!

We last went shopping over 2 weeks ago so out of harm as no signs of having it showing but its mentioned it could be advised it may be 4 months!

This prompted me to stock take (and found some long overlooked but still fine to eat food stashed away in my mrs shed) we could llast that and longer (bar milk we only have 2 bags of dried) but by then end it would be hard rashions only !

If the power goes its down to hard rashions earlier but we could drag it out for 6 months if we needed to without outside help!

My fear is dying choking trying to get oxygen ,making your own oxygen maker is not feasible and they are expensive but ofcourse without power useless !two leisure batteries and a 500 watt inverter isnt going to help my tiny solar panel can only keep them topped up in the brightest sun once an ounce of power is used it wont keep up ,pointless having a generator i cant pinch enough fuel to keep it going (not allowed on the bus lol)

So we decided best safe than sorry and tell everyone we not coming out to play ,have (hopefully if they are not out of stock) a hundred weight or so of food coming from the near date suppliers i use but i think even then they will be out of stock soon .

Theres online shopping in the supermarkets ofcourse but if suddenly everything gets worse maybe they will stop.?

On the bright side my "told you so" has annoyed the mrs enough to make stock piling worth it .lol the "preppers" in america must be smirking aswell lol

Another thing to think about is medication we have many (many) prescriptions on repeat so i emailed the doctors have they thought about letting people order their meds a month early so they have a months buffer whilst the suppliers may have reserves they may not be able to transport them if the drivers are ill and we get ours delivered so if Judy (we call her our drug dealer lol) gets ill will they arrive?

The country could have pills a mile high but if the supply chain breaks we are buggered!!

Be safe

Edited by chesters1

I'm 70 in 3 weeks, and with having COPD I'm in the high risk group. I had an episode a few months back where I couldn't get my breath. I was alone in the house, and it just started. I can understand your fear of it chesters, it was unlike anything I've experienced in my life. I imagine it's like when you're drowning, you've no control, and all I can really remember was thinking, 'no, not like this'. I ended up in a heap on the bathroom floor gasping for air for what seemed ages, but was probably only 3 or4 minutes. I suddenly managed to force a deep breath, and started breathing, shallow at first, then gradually deeper, until I started breathing more normally. Instead of breathing automatically, I started being aware of my breathing patterns, and felt I had to concentrate to keep breathing. This became worse when trying to sleep, and as I was dozing off, would snap awake in case I stopped breathing. It became so bad that I had to either have a few drinks, or take sleeping pills. I saw my doctor who suggested a complete health check to try and settle my mind. My ECG, blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood tests all came back as normal, but psychologically I still struggled. After all this time, although I'm much better, I still struggle to sleep at night, and usually get by on 4, or on a good night, 5 hours sleep. That one episode has completely change my outlook on life, and I often see things in a different light. Sometimes it's like I'm seeing familiar things/events for the first time, at other times I see them with a kind of retrospective regret. I'm a different person in many ways, although still a moaning old git, eh Phone?

Like you, this is the thing I dread the most, and if the published figures are to be believed, then the odds against it actually happening are not very good.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

4 hours ago, gozzer said:

I'm 70 in 3 weeks, and with having COPD I'm in the high risk group. I had an episode a few months back where I couldn't get my breath. I was alone in the house, and it just started. I can understand your fear of it chesters, it was unlike anything I've experienced in my life. I imagine it's like when you're drowning, you've no control, and all I can really remember was thinking, 'no, not like this'. I ended up in a heap on the bathroom floor gasping for air for what seemed ages, but was probably only 3 or4 minutes. I suddenly managed to force a deep breath, and started breathing, shallow at first, then gradually deeper, until I started breathing more normally. Instead of breathing automatically, I started being aware of my breathing patterns, and felt I had to concentrate to keep breathing. This became worse when trying to sleep, and as I was dozing off, would snap awake in case I stopped breathing. It became so bad that I had to either have a few drinks, or take sleeping pills. I saw my doctor who suggested a complete health check to try and settle my mind. My ECG, blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood tests all came back as normal, but psychologically I still struggled. After all this time, although I'm much better, I still struggle to sleep at night, and usually get by on 4, or on a good night, 5 hours sleep. That one episode has completely change my outlook on life, and I often see things in a different light. Sometimes it's like I'm seeing familiar things/events for the first time, at other times I see them with a kind of retrospective regret. I'm a different person in many ways, although still a moaning old git, eh Phone?

Like you, this is the thing I dread the most, and if the published figures are to be believed, then the odds against it actually happening are not very good.

John.

Best of luck if you get sick theres not enough ventilators to go round (as Italy warned) i already wear a cpap mask at night but because i am fat not ill but occasionially still i find i cannot get enough oxygen .

It hardly shows on a oxygen meter on my watch so its not bad enough to be of concern i think decades of smoking (both fat and smoking are my fault i make no excuses)  has made my lung capacity small i get out of breath just breathing!

It must have been terrifying thinking you were going to die you really dont think lack of air could kill you but i think its down to that with coronavirus or a heart attack because of trying! i am just behind you age wise but probably older physically i dont get enough excercise now i have given up being a bailiff something else i admit is my fault lol

Been working with my parents for weeks to get them stocked up for themselves and their dogs and gradually acclimatise them to the idea that social interactions and activities might have to change radically.

They are getting it slowly and I have enough supplies in for me to last a good while if needed.

Not happy with commuting on a train but if I decide that it's a choice between my safety and keeping a job, I'll find another job - but we're not there yet.

The biggest worry is the talk of aiming for "herd immunity". If even 1% of the 40,000,000+ people getting infected that would be required to achieve it die, the death toll will be on a par with combined British military and civilian deaths in WW2 and as the lancet article above points out, it might me much, much higher than 1%.