Interesting Read Wood Burners

big_cod

Interesting....but I'm still using mine!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

They have a place but beware burning pine  ,nasty resin sits up your chimney waiting to burn your house down as you sleep.

We had a pot belly stove out of a canal boat in my computer room in the last house (the central heating was to expensive to run!), not really ideal except it kept a kettle hot to fill your hot water bottle to huddle against 6 feet away!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

12 hours ago, Elton said:

Interesting....but I'm still using mine!

We are the same Elon had ours for about  10 years now maybe longer  live on the moor no gas here in the village so it’s oil combi   Central heating .Come  to a head when we came back off holiday one winter Baltic well below snow knee deep freezing oil combo wouldn’t  work when I tried to fire it up so no heating all weekend till we got the part Monday  ,  we also have concrete floors here cold house really that made my mind up never again backup time we had coal fires here years ago  but did away with them for oil combo central heating but the log burner  fires the heat out when you really need it and plenty of wood to burn  around here .

Edited by big_cod
  • Like 1

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

First world problems.......

The amount of pollution produced by a properly set up wood burning stove in the right environment is insignificant - especially when compared to the state of some of our old mining belt towns (Ashby de la Zouch springs to mind) where they used to burn unsellable spill from the collieries and you could taste the air in winter.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

37 minutes ago, Ken L said:

First world problems.......

The amount of pollution produced by a properly set up wood burning stove in the right environment is insignificant - especially when compared to the state of some of our old mining belt towns (Ashby de la Zouch springs to mind) where they used to burn unsellable spill from the collieries and you could taste the air in winter.

I'm not in any part of the mining area, yet I remember going to school with a scarf around my face to keep the smog/fog/coal smoke out of my mouth and nose as a kid. It was just part of life and what you did. Steel works where big around here back then and it clung. Maybe I'm strange but I actually like the smell of coal and wood fires. My next door neighbour has a huge professionally installed log burner and I sometimes stand on the step at night breathing in the memories whilst the dogs do what dogs do in the garden.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

When the council refurbed this house they redid the gas supply ,unfortunately they removed the gas fire (no idea other than the servicing cost the gas bloke said there was plenty of spares and it wasnt uneconomical to run) ,i aked them to remove the liner up the chimney which they refused to do so now we have a hole in the wall perfect for a fireplace but no way of putting one in to heat the room if something went wrong with the gas supply or the 1970's returned and the unions decided to punish the masses again.

The fire also had a back boiler and being right next to the hot water cylinder was very well thought out! Now the boiler is 20 feet away so you fill half the sink before you gget even warm water! Not so clever!

Theres a hidden agenda to force people to use electricity because a tiny part of the population whine  but unless its generated by a carbon zero (an impossibility) generator your still not stopping the problem your just forcing people to put more money in the suppliers pockets.

If we hadnt already had a gas stove the council were going to remove all the gas system making future tenants have even less choice  (and ofcourse not have to pay for the legal neccessity to have it all inspected!) Not sure i would like to have an electric boiler its bad enough they refused to fit a shower system that runs off the hot water but an electric one so while we have a tank full of hot water we use electrically heated water despite a source of hot water an inch away (the pipes run next to each other in the loft)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

""""""""""""""""""Burning certain soft woods (such as pine) will cause creosote damage to your chimney.

While this myth has been around for ages, studies conducted by the University of Georgia found that the amount of damage wood left on the chimney was a result of low-temperature fires rather than a resin rich fuel source. While pine does contain more sap than other types of wood, this is no longer considered to be cause of creosote buildup in chimneys. Wood that does cause problems though is burning green wood or burning fires at low-temperatures.""""""""""""""""""""

Phone

Its difficult to find seasoned pine to buy as firewood so most will be unseasoned ,having burned the stuff by the ton (only stacked until the first winter) it certainly does build up in your chimney and it does catch fire going by experience .

If you leave it for a couple of years it burns to quickly but modern woodburners may have better air regulation than a flap thats either open or shut or an open fire with nothing at all

Pine has far more sap than most woods ,ask any fly in amber ,if you want to compare hit a beech an oak and a pine tree with an axe and revisit a month later!

Edited by chesters1

11 hours ago, chesters1 said:

When the council refurbed this house they redid the gas supply ,unfortunately they removed the gas fire (no idea other than the servicing cost the gas bloke said there was plenty of spares and it wasnt uneconomical to run) ,i aked them to remove the liner up the chimney which they refused to do so now we have a hole in the wall perfect for a fireplace but no way of putting one in to heat the room if something went wrong with the gas supply or the 1970's returned and the unions decided to punish the masses again.

The fire also had a back boiler and being right next to the hot water cylinder was very well thought out! Now the boiler is 20 feet away so you fill half the sink before you gget even warm water! Not so clever!

Theres a hidden agenda to force people to use electricity because a tiny part of the population whine  but unless its generated by a carbon zero (an impossibility) generator your still not stopping the problem your just forcing people to put more money in the suppliers pockets.

If we hadnt already had a gas stove the council were going to remove all the gas system making future tenants have even less choice  (and ofcourse not have to pay for the legal neccessity to have it all inspected!) Not sure i would like to have an electric boiler its bad enough they refused to fit a shower system that runs off the hot water but an electric one so while we have a tank full of hot water we use electrically heated water despite a source of hot water an inch away (the pipes run next to each other in the loft)

ahhh, forty years ago i fitted my own gas back  boiler, i was allowed to then, two showers, one up stairs and one down, both work on gravity, no running cost or anything to break down. My hot water cylinder is directly above the boiler with the storage tank above that. 13 radiators and always a double sized hot water cylinder full of hot water, never ever we have run out of hot water. We renewed the guts of the boiler 3 years ago apart from the cast iron heat exchanger and expect it to out last me that's for sure. But i am jealous, my daughter has a wood burner and i have tree cutting mates who i deliver her wood from. I also have mates who can't get rid of pallets quick enough, kindling. 

wish i thought about it all them years ago, i would have had one as well. Bring back rayburn cookers i say. 

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..