Should we have left the EU?

John S

22 hours ago, big_cod said:

You mean you hope the EU is going to crumble but as predictive economics  forecasts say the country which is expected to have  the biggest fallout of coronavirus is Great Britain yes Great Britain.They are expecting our economy to shrink by around 6% but why Great Britain that’s the interesting bit ,but our economy was poor  anyway growth was flat investment flying out of Britain but why Britain that’s the question .

And as a government minister was asked exactly that question this morning he dodged the question and gave  everything but an answer .

Nonsense as usual.

It'll be China that suffers the biggest impact economically. Their plans for total control of global manufacturing are in tatters and now everyone agrees with what President Trump was saying throughout his 2016 election campaign about the dangers of being totally reliant on what is at best a competitor nation for essential supplies.

Both western consumers and African nations are unimpressed with China's blatant racism and that will have long term consequences too.

Huawei's involvement in 5G as well as Chinese involvement in Hinkley point and HS2 are now all in serious jeopardy and the same will be true of infrastructure projects around the world.

As for the EU: Burning EU flags has become a national pastime in Italy and one poll suggested that 67% of Italians want out - and with the government coalition collapsing and Salvini waiting in the wings, that is very likely to happen.

In France, Macron is a zombie president with zero legitimacy. Le Pen has already promised a referendum when she becomes president of France and the last poll I saw suggested widespread support for Frexit with "reprendre le contrôle" (take back control) resonating with people from across the political spectrum.

The EU is dead in the water.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

9 hours ago, Ken L said:

Nonsense as usual.

It'll be China that suffers the biggest impact economically. Their plans for total control of global manufacturing are in tatters and now everyone agrees with what President Trump was saying throughout his 2016 election campaign about the dangers of being totally reliant on what is at best a competitor nation for essential supplies.

Both western consumers and African nations are unimpressed with China's blatant racism and that will have long term consequences too.

Huawei's involvement in 5G as well as Chinese involvement in Hinkley point and HS2 are now all in serious jeopardy and the same will be true of infrastructure projects around the world.

As for the EU: Burning EU flags has become a national pastime in Italy and one poll suggested that 67% of Italians want out - and with the government coalition collapsing and Salvini waiting in the wings, that is very likely to happen.

In France, Macron is a zombie president with zero legitimacy. Le Pen has already promised a referendum when she becomes president of France and the last poll I saw suggested widespread support for Frexit with "reprendre le contrôle" (take back control) resonating with people from across the political spectrum.

The EU is dead in the water.

Interesting though ken most economic forcasts  say Britain will fare worse after this pandemic is over than most of our European partners. And when a government minister was asked exactly that question on breakfast tv  2 days ago he immediately  dodged the question .

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Ken,

""""Both western consumers and African nations are unimpressed with China's blatant racism and that will have long term consequences too """"

I too agree with your analysis that the EU is eventually toast.  It will be farther down the road, for you can't rebuild Rome in a day. It is much more difficult than most imagine to ramp up manufacturing of essentials much less trinkets. Also, it will be difficult for most EU countries to buy back their debt.  Immigration with or without the EU is going to continue to be a significant yoke and can very well end up as armed conflict. Underlying the entire mess is the continued rise of nationalism

Phone 

1 hour ago, big_cod said:

Interesting though ken most economic forcasts  say Britain will fare worse after this pandemic is over than most of our European partners. And when a government minister was asked exactly that question on breakfast tv  2 days ago he immediately  dodged the question .

Again, no. It will be southern Europe that will take the biggest hit - notably Italy and Spain.

You really should try to find news sources that don't hate Britain.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Britains booming ,chap at garden center taked to me this morning,the compost was delivered at a lower cost than usual the company trying to inflate prices was shown the door by the supplier .

He said if i want more grab it ,with all these people having more time in the garden hes selling much more than usual especially because those north of the bridge cannot get to his competitor (that works both ways but i nodded) hes already got orders for most of the plants delivered yesterday (the lorry from holland)

Must be a great time for delivery companies its a pity some companies cannot grasp online sales are just as lucrative as real ones and get into the 21st century ,if they fail its their fault the buyers are there!

Hes undecided about growing veg in his greenhouses if the virus disapears or the government lifts restrictions it could backfire against selling home grown plants that retail at a higher cost for the autumn rush

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

4 hours ago, Phone said:

I too agree with your analysis that the EU is eventually toast

It has to be for folks like Ken. If the EU continues to be a success then it is going to make Ken and his ilk look rather stupid. Unlike Ken, I am not a clairvoyant w9ith a crystal ball but I reckon the EU will be doing just fine while we are scraping ourselves off the cold hard floor of the WTO.

I hope you all have a twenty to thirty percent increase in disposable income. You'll be needing it to pay the tariffs.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I see we are importing thousands of Romanians to pick some of the fruit and veg harvest. I would have thought that all those whinging about them nasty Europeans taking their fecking jobs would be girding their loins with their new found sovereignty and dragging themselves out of their bed at half five in the morning, after all that is what the whinging gits voted for.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

4 hours ago, Ken L said:

Again, no. It will be southern Europe that will take the biggest hit - notably Italy and Spain.

You really should try to find news sources that don't hate Britain.

Uniquely Vulnerable

These are the facts but you can paint it up which ever you want if it suits you .

Take the fishing industry had a nice few boom years shellfish sales to Europe prices have been fantastic .Up to £25 kilo for lobsters  100-200 kilo that’s big days work for a small boat .Some very wealthy fishermen all put into jeopardy with brexit but very soon we will see what’s it’s about and many in fishing industry are in for one hell of a shock .

Britain looks particularly susceptible to an external shock thanks to three years of underinvestment in its industries and uncertainty about its political future. In the fourth quarter of 2019, the number of U.K. companies experiencing “significant financial distress” hit 494,000, an 81% jump since the beginning of 2016, the year the country voted to leave the EU, according to Begbies Traynor Group Plc, a London-based restructuring adviser.

Brexit could be all dressed up and nowhere to go . 

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Why would we have large increases Cory ,i already showed you the WTO has no teeth and you only have to look at america and china raising and lowering duties to see that the WTO has no influence in the modern global economy

We can have zero rates with anyone we choose if they fail to concurr we go elswhere unlike being in the EU

Its the dreaded thought we can compete and even undercut EU members is why they are so reluctant to let us go they have to obide by EU tarrifs on imports and exports its they who are paying more because the EU is anti competition amongst EU members they cannot import good at a cheaper price and undercut other members ,by members its germany and france ofcourse

The country could do well leaving but it wont do well the british disease is prevelant

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

11 minutes ago, chesters1 said:

We can have zero rates with anyone we choose if they fail to concurr we go elswhere unlike being in the EU

You have not showed me anything. You have made claims that you cannot substantiate.

You can have zero rates for the whole world or not at all.Where can we buy from now that we could not have bought from before?

Why would anyone offer you an FTA if they can dump sh!t here tarriff free? Why do you think any country would offer the UK a better FTA than they do with the other 27 in the EU? Oh I forgot, because you are bloody English and therefore it is your entitlement. The hubris is astounding.

I thought you'd be hitching a lift to the Vale of Evesham, I hear they are looking for asparagus pickers.

Edited by corydoras