A Big Strike

Bobj

When I lived in Yorkshire some 56 years ago, I seem to remember there was a big strike in one of the big shipyards, Harland and Wolff, or, Cammell Laird that occurred because 2 men, a welder and his offsider argued as to whose job it was to lift the chalked string to mark a steel plate in order to cut it.  I remember that a lot of jobs were lost due to that insignificant act.

Can anyone shed light on the incident, please.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Probably one of hundreds of incidents we went on strike for 3 days because the wrong person carried mail up a flight of 6? steps lol

• Haha 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

8 hours ago, Bobj said:

When I lived in Yorkshire some 56 years ago, I seem to remember there was a big strike in one of the big shipyards, Harland and Wolff, or, Cammell Laird that occurred because 2 men, a welder and his offsider argued as to whose job it was to lift the chalked string to mark a steel plate in order to cut it.  I remember that a lot of jobs were lost due to that insignificant act.

Can anyone shed light on the incident, please.

Hi Bob, I too remember hearing about this when I started my apprenticeship in 1965.I was never sure whether it was a true account of the strike, or had been embellished over the years. Your post prompted me to do a bit of digging, but I haven't found much as of yet.

Some of the stuff I've read seems to point to the strike causing the delay in completing the 'Pendennis Castle', which was launched on 24/12/57,  handed over in Nov 58, with a maiden voyage in Jan 59.

http://www.theyard.info/ships/ships.asp?entryid=1558

I can't seem to find out about any particular strike, but maybe if you try on this forum someone will be able to help you

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,73380.165.html?PHPSESSID=d3ccf88dfe295ba0618d8540e8d1296a

I found a few interesting things during my searches especially this one about the first apprentice strike at Harland and Wolff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/belfast/harlandmemories2.shtml

Just had a thought, didn't Fred, (clifftop) work in the shipyards in the north east? Maybe he would have heard something about the strike. He hasn't been on for a while, I hope he's OK, what with the fires in his area.

Good Luck, let us know if you find anything, John.

Edit, I got so engrossed in the history of Harland and Wolff, that I forgot to post about Cammell Laird :wallbash:

The main thing that I found was this from Hansards

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1956/may/17/cammell-laird-shipyard-dispute

No mention of chalk lines though, I'll keep digging.

Edited by gozzer
  • Thanks 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Excellent! Many thanks for that info. I do remember that there was some dispute re the 'Pendennis Castle', but didn't attach the two incidents.

Will certainly dig deeper as your info has whet my appetite!

Bob.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.