Anniversary?

gozzer

I believe that Anglersnet is in it's 20th year, if so, Happy Birthday!

https://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/forum/3-coarse-fishing/page/1775/

Last month was the 14th anniversary of my joining, and looking back at the lively debates we used to have, (mainly about fishing believe it or not), it's sad to see what we have now. AN helped me through a stage when, for various reasons, I couldn't indulge in the pastime I've loved all my life, indeed I was on the brink of selling my gear, and packing in altogether. There are many names that have come and gone in those years, and I sometimes wonder what happened to them. There was a wealth of information, from anglers vastly more capable than me, but my input was discussed, and accepted, and was even found to be helpful at times. There were of course some disagreements, (mainly in the sea angling forum if I remember correctly), and threads were locked on occasion, but it was all reasonably amicable. 

I am as much to blame as most, for the lack of angling input, but now that I can get off more often, I find it difficult to post about the 'ordinary' results of my recent trips. I try to get off two or three time a month, but age has added different restrictions, to the ones I used to have, and my posts seem to turn into rants, or moans, (it must be an age thing:wheelchair:).

I used to be able to come on here, and talk with fairly likeminded anglers, but now, this Brexit thing has, IMO, caused many members to leave, and the animosity that it spreads, is depressing. It's taken over the whole forum, as well as the national media, so there is no escape, no respite, from it, and I admit my own part in continuing it, when I like an idiot, get 'suckered' back in.

I wonder if this place will exist in a few years time? I do hope so, but with more angling input, and a more friendly atmosphere.

So a big thank you to Elton for starting AN, it can't have been easy over the last few years, and a Happy Birthday to AN, with hopes for a happier, and healthier future for it and it's members,

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The iraq war thread was just as argumentive i think it at one time had thousands looking in through the day .

Theres always going to be argument even 2 people wont agree on everything but its sad people leave because they cannot get the fact not everyone agrees with what they say or believe ,it would be a sad lonely boring forum if they did,nothing but sickening self congratulation and fawning !certainly not a place i would enjoy.

From experience there ARE loud mouths (myself included sometimes,) but its nothing like some forums (especially american ones) where the slightest difference in opinion to the" ruling" cliche and you are banned and in some curcumstances followed about online and hassled (dont mention jews do the same as moslems to their male children on a particular one!) .

So apart from the odd 'hot' topic which if it offends someone just dont look at it (its a simple concept) theres plenty to talk about if you try .

It HAS gone from a busy friendly site and some sections rarely get a post in months but i blame it mostly on facebook etc (i dont use it so cannot see how busy the AN page is?) Hopefully it comes back to life but i think even posting disagreement is better than not posting at all and the forum die .

Surprised it still exists its not free for Elton and thumbs up to him keeping it going ,its my second home and hey despite our opposite opinions even cod is part of 'my' family lol

As to the other sections i used to but in to i no longer sea fish ,nor fish for carp ,not a bailiff any more and just occasionally fish a mile or so of crappy river so i can only voice an opinion on others posts my fishing is not exciting enough any more to start a thread of my own so i mustly live here being sad and bad but happy and snappy in reality in real life as a few who have met me will acknowledge lol

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hmmm "my family" came out wrong it gives the impression i am head ,perhaps 'our ' family ?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

3 hours ago, chesters1 said:

Hmmm "my family" came out wrong it gives the impression i am head ,perhaps 'our ' family ?

Don Chesters. :D 

If it is Anglersnets anniversary then Happy Birthday, and thank you Mr. Elton. :)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

You're right Ant, 20 years young!  I was one of the first to join, on February 19th, and almost immediately became a moderator. Technically I was 'involved' with AN before it even started. At the time Elton, myself, and many others were on the rec.fishing.coarse.uk chat group (ethernet?) where I'd be replying to requests on where to fish. Then Elton contacted me to ask if I'd like to manage the fisheries database on a website he's hoping to make. I agreed, and the rest is history.

• Like 3

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

49 minutes ago, John S said:

You're right Ant, 20 years young!  I was one of the first to join, on February 19th, and almost immediately became a moderator. Technically I was 'involved' with AN before it even started. At the time Elton, myself, and many others were on the rec.fishing.coarse.uk chat group (ethernet?) where I'd be replying to requests on where to fish. Then Elton contacted me to ask if I'd like to manage the fisheries database on a website he's hoping to make. I agreed, and the rest is history.

And thank you John and the rest of the mods. I've had my hands slapped on the odd occasion over the years, but I'm sure I deserved it. :hypocrite: :whistling:

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

22 hours ago, *Ant* said:

And thank you John and the rest of the mods. I've had my hands slapped on the odd occasion over the years, but I'm sure I deserved it:hypocrite: :whistling:

Definitely!  :bangin:   :bleh:

• Haha 1

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

1 hour ago, Phone said:

Ant,

I cannot remember his name?  The rather eccentric fellow who you defended with a passion.

Phone

Colin Furze ? Very eccentic guy we need more lol