Who Needs The BBC??

Martin56

13! What is it the 80's?

Our shiny (and climbable) new telephone pole arrived today (after a wait from july last year!) Now once the bt chap puts in the fiber cable we can stream lots of crap even faster!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes it appears aswell as your old cable a new one is installed that carries fiber .

I was paying the same price for "faster" broadband which just means they provide fibre to the nearest junction box (a mile a way ) this made the upload speed go from  about 2.5mbs to 11.5mbs but a local pointed out you can get fibre to the premisses for the same price!

Our pole couldnt be climbed it was old and a cherry picker couldnt get to it so we waited since last july for a new pole that came yesterday so hopefully BT will now install the new cable soon and whatever the box is that goes indoors to connect to the hub

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Getting the fibre optics going straight to your  house from the pole is a far better way of doing things. That's what I've got, so now the router no longer needs plugging into the telephone socket plus the tinternet speed is just about as fast as anywhere in the UK.

Speed Test.PNG

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

23 hours ago, chesters1 said:

13! What is it the 80's?

That album was late 70's :punk:

John S

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

1 hour ago, John S said:

Getting the fibre optics going straight to your  house from the pole is a far better way of doing things. That's what I've got, so now the router no longer needs plugging into the telephone socket plus the tinternet speed is just about as fast as anywhere in the UK.

Speed Test.PNG

How do they connect the optics to your router?

Saw a youtube vid showing a huge great box cupboard with two boxes inside it! our house hasnt a spare bit of wall big enough to bolt much more than a standard bt master socket on it unless it goes in the loft!

BT engineer coming on the 6th to install whatever it is?

This is it ,my wardrobe is smaller!

Edited by chesters1

9 minutes ago, chesters1 said:

How do they connect the optics to your router?

Saw a youtube vid showing a huge great box cupboard with two boxes inside it! our house hasnt a spare bit of wall big enough to bolt much more than a standard bt master socket on it unless it goes in the loft!

BT engineer coming on the 6th to install whatever it is?

This is it ,my wardrobe is smaller!

With ours, they run a cable (fibre) from the post to a box on the outside wall (that was visit #1), and then someone else came down to run a second fibre cable from that box into the house to another box screwed to the wall, and another cable connects that to the router (I don't think they're normal routers, probably a special type). Finally another cable connects to the computer. The last bit can be done via wi-fi or Bluetooth, but having it hard wired is preferable.

The box we have inside the house is a lot smaller than the one shown, not much bigger than the one he's holding in his hand.

John S

8 minutes ago, John S said:

With ours, they run a cable (fibre) from the post to a box on the outside wall (that was visit #1), and then someone else came down to run a second fibre cable from that box into the house to another box screwed to the wall, and another cable connects that to the router (I don't think they're normal routers, probably a special type). Finally another cable connects to the computer. The last bit can be done via wi-fi or Bluetooth, but having it hard wired is preferable.

The box we have inside the house is a lot smaller than the one shown, not much bigger than the one he's holding in his hand.

Thank goodness for that!

Been running CAT 6E cables everywhere to allow streaming off the cctv, satellite ,tv box  and pc  at high speed (hopefully its 1gb network on the router ?) And now all the cables are different colours so i know which one goes to who lol

Looking at the footage they are still using the original telephone cable from the pole across the field to the new one so i presume they have to install the fibre cable still? The line from the new pole to house is new and yes they plumbed it into the old cable the house end with a box on the wall by the gutter

Edited by chesters1

I hard wire everything that can be hard wired ,wireless is far to intermittant trying to get through all those fishing reels its even rubbish trying to get through a couple of walls and using an extender cuts the speed in half.

If i could connect the phones and tablets to cables i would and turn the wifi off!i am sure next doors using the damn connection as well lol

I had to install an 8 port gigabit switch why routers only have 3 or 4 network sockets i dont know ! Got a printer 2 satellite boxes ,2 streaming boxes ,the cctv box and 2 network cameras  ,the pc and both tvs plugged in via network cable and a 4 port switch for the above in the other room and a host of wifi appliances !

Then ofcourse the family turn up ..,.....,.,.......two people watching youtube and the broadband stops working hence i need more speed ,much more !

Edited by chesters1