Who Needs The BBC??

Martin56

19 hours ago, chesters1 said:

I hard wire everything that can be hard wired ,wireless is far to intermittant trying to get through all those fishing reels its even rubbish trying to get through a couple of walls and using an extender cuts the speed in half.

If i could connect the phones and tablets to cables i would and turn the wifi off!i am sure next doors using the damn connection as well lol

I had to install an 8 port gigabit switch why routers only have 3 or 4 network sockets i dont know ! Got a printer 2 satellite boxes ,2 streaming boxes ,the cctv box and 2 network cameras  ,the pc and both tvs plugged in via network cable and a 4 port switch for the above in the other room and a host of wifi appliances !

Then ofcourse the family turn up ..,.....,.,.......two people watching youtube and the broadband stops working hence i need more speed ,much more !

I don't have satellite boxes or stuff, just a couple of computers hard-wired (only one permanently) and a tablet via Bluetooth, so all those spare network sockets are lost on me :D

You'll be surprised at the increase in speed though. For eg, a film from YouTube that would have taken a few minutes to download was done in just a few seconds!

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CHESTERS1,

I am so far out of my element this may be embarrassing.

You will need a new modem - https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/what-you-need-to-install-fiber-optic-internet

You are really preparing for 5G.  THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!!

All my chit is connected by fiber optic internet.  It really wasn't that difficult once the outside to inside box was installed. My responsibility was to write the check.

Phone

Chesters, just make sure you have a  Network Cable CAT5e (enhanced) cable to go from the new router to your computer.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

43 minutes ago, John S said:

Chesters, just make sure you have a  Network Cable CAT5e (enhanced) cable to go from the new router to your computer.

CAT6E ?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Its strange once i used that icon i can no longer write anything after below in a new line or after on the same line !me or the forum?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

We have SkyQ HD TV in 2 rooms, & can record up to 6 TV programs all scheduled at the same time & watch another channel as well!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Theres 6 channels worth recording on sky ?lol i wonder if they are up to their old tricks of scrambling free to view channels so you cannot watch them on your sky box free?

We had sky for the first year it existed or rather the first period it was free when it began (back in the early 80's) in 86 we invested in a 2mtr motorised dish and realised sky was nothing compared to what exists so never joined sky proper.Now you have streaming theres more channels you could ever watch inc ones on the less legal side showing people walking across the field of view in dodgy pirate ones!

Unfortunatly we are back to a puny 1 mtr motorised dish our bungalow is so small anything bigger would look daft and the field of view now far smaller than before  so its placement limited due to avoiding a tree!

Looking forward to friday fingers crossed the BT chap finishes installing the fiber broadband cannot abide the continual buffering trying to watch 4k (what there is of it i have never found anything in true 1080p yet!) Been waiting since july for the new pole that went up last week!

One of our satellite boxes has 4 FBC tuners so capable of pretty much unlimited recording but to be honest theres little worth recording that cannot be sourced on catch up or pre recorded

Edited by chesters1

Strangely we get slight buffering (just a freeze for a second now and again) on our 5mp cameras ,the box is rated to 4k output and up to 8mp cameras ,both the box and the camera are on cat6e cable ,the box is connected to the tv via hdmi (not wireless thats off on both) so that leaves the BT router so may look into its actual network speed its stupid having fast everything with the router slowing it all down.

Hmmm the router is rated to 1gigabit so everything including the 8 port switch is rated well above the theoretical line speeds of the equiptment plugged into it.

The only thing that could be problematic is a 10/100 mb 4 port switch plugged into the router but only switched on when the living room tv,streaming box and satellite is switched on when the grand kids visit to watch poxy peppa pig on youtube! Would the router slow down transfer rates to everything because a switch that isnt switched on but plugged in?

My setup is the bedroom tv ,streaming box,satellite and laptop ,printer and 2 network cameras are plugged into a 10/100/1000 8 port network switch into one of the routers imputs ,the living room tv, streaming box ,satellite and wii are plugged into a 4 port 10/100 switch in port 2 of the router and my pc directly into port 3 of the router ,the last port appears to be there to connect to the fibre ? Its coloured red not the yellow normal network socket?!! ,once the 3 remaining analogue cameras die i will need 3 more network sockets!

Edited by chesters1