Complete respect But!!

Martin56

When one joins the armed forces, which I know a lot of you on here were. 

Killing people & seeing people killed is all part of the job & what they/you were paid to do!!

Suicide rates & stress disorders in other walks of life are much higher.

Somebody will be Incensed by this - but it's true!! 

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin,

Strange topic -  but your first sentence intrigued me.  "When one joins"  - - - When I was service age you were invited without an option.

As to the second part of your post.  One in five U.S. adults reported taking a psychiatric drug, such abuys a prescription drugs for "problems with emotions, nerves or mental health.  Many of those take more than one medication.

One of my major issues the U.S. laws on gun ownership is that it is quite alright to take psychiatric drugs and own/ buy handguns.

It may baffle you to know 2 BILLION prescriptions are filled annually 

Lastly, You OK?

Phone

Suicide rates are quite high in ex forces, I've no idea of the ratios etc. Especially in ex front line troops or those who have seen action.

It's my understanding more have died since the Falklands war than in it, on both sides. That's one example and probably easy to look up.

Homeless people are also a large percentage of ex forces that fail to live with the stresses of civilian life.

PTSD is now a recognised illness, although going back a few years, WW1 it was cowardice, WW2 it was shell shock. I'm so glad we have moved on.

There is another thing that is rarely mentioned or understood.

Survivors Guilt. 

Fortunately I have a wife and family to help me, but theres rarely a day passes when I wonder why I survived and better men than me didn't.

• Like 1
If all else fails, follow the intructions.

23 hours ago, Phone said:

Martin,

Strange topic -  but your first sentence intrigued me.  "When one joins"  - - - When I was service age you were invited without an option.

Lastly, You OK?

Phone

"When one joins" was to mean For a professional  career in the armed forces, Not conscription!!

Glad I chose to go into engineering - worst ever happened to me injury wise was losing a middle finger on a Lathe.

Yes Phone I'm OK thanks  - Redundant just now but OK .

• Like 1

Phone, in the UK,

1) Live Ammo Hand Guns are illegal for the general public.

2) Shotgun Certificates can only be issued after police vetting.

3) Firearms Certificates (Live Ammo Rifles) can only be issued after police vetting.

4) Air Rifles over 12 Ft Lb's muzzle energy also require a Firearms Certificate. (Above vetting applies)

5) Air Rifles 12 Ft Lb's or under can be purchased over the counter to anyone aged 18 having provided verified proof of age & Address..

6) Any Mental Health issues Must be provided to the police between 2) & 4)

7) You can own a shot gun on a Firearms (full Rifle) Certificate, but Not a Rifle on a shotgun Certificate.

Certificate meaning License!!

Reckon we've got it about right (ish) over here!!

Edited by Martin56

19 hours ago, Cameraman said:

There is another thing that is rarely mentioned or understood.

Survivors Guilt. 

Fortunately I have a wife and family to help me, but there's rarely a day passes when I wonder why I survived and better men than me didn't.

Maybe Andy, you just under estimated your own courage & to a certain extent pure luck. Now't wrong with a bit of that bud' You did your bit & got away with it - unfortunately - others did not!! it's the luck of the draw in a bad hole!! 

You now have a little Grandson to teach how to use that single .410 hammer gun.

Won't be long before he's into a double 20 bore??

Bank of Grandad permitting!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Martin,

In the US Certain classes of people are not allowed to purchase guns. This includes felons, fugitives, minors under 18, the mentally ill, dishonorable discharges from the armed forces, those under a court order and perpetrators of domestic violence and more. Such laws are totally ignored.

From an old shooter.  Don't start a lad on a .410 (which is actually a .41 caliber).  Much more comfortable is a 20 gage.  I bought my 2nd grandson a 28 gage.  Big mistake - the gun is/was fine - finding ammo is a serious pain in the butt and very expensive.

Phone

Phone - 410 UK shotgun cartridges seem far removed from the calibre your're talking about.

We're talking Rabbits, Rats & birds here at close range (20 - 40 yards)

Edited by Martin56

21 hours ago, Phone said:

From an old shooter.  Don't start a lad on a .410 (which is actually a .41 caliber).  Much more comfortable is a 20 gage.  I bought my 2nd grandson a 28 gage.  Big mistake - the gun is/was fine - finding ammo is a serious pain in the butt and very expensive.

Phone

My kids shoot, son a 12g and shoots regularly with me. He's also ex Army and used to many calibres. Daughter a .410 but she used to shoot a 12g SxS and .22 rifle and 5.56 rifle as well as air guns. Oldest granddaughter uses a O/U 20g and is quite proficient. Next granddaughter a .410 SxS and still at beginners stage. Next one down, no interest at all. Grandson age 6, I've just cut down a Cooey model 84, .410, you may know the brand, even the gun as apparently they're extremely popular as starter guns in the USA and Canada. I think about 1.9 million made before Winchester bought them. He loves it but mainly on statics at the mo with 2" 9gram cartridges. 

The reason I choose. 410 is the low or zero recoil and noise especially as starters. We have 28g but the ammo is prohibitively expensive. Even .410 costs almost double my 12g. 20g also costs more.

I'm not a lover of 20g as it's too easy for a starter or occasionally someone using both to mix up. 20g into 12g could be fatal. Plus 20g cartridges can recoil more in a lighter gun than a heavier cartridge in my 12g.

I'd love to explore the ammunition available in the USA as we are limited to the types we can use here.

The law on ammunition is also complicated, for example, it's illegal to buy ammunition without a licence but legal to posses it. So...in theory, a licence holder may buy ammo and give it away to a non licence holder, and that's legal?

We are also just into the phasing out of lead.  A voluntary ban is coming in with a total ban on lead for game in 5 years. A ban already exists on lead for wildfowling or shooting over water.

It's an opinion only, that within a few decades shooting in any form in this country will be either unaffordable or illegal.

Edited by Cameraman
If all else fails, follow the intructions.

Cameraman,

I no longer shoot and don't have a single gun in the house anymore. Probably best, I never was a very skilled shooter.

I had an old (maybe 1950) Canadian Cooey. From memory, /.410 - 26 inch barrel. Truth of the matter is I believe it got beat to death from use.  Can't remember to be honest.

Ammunition - we are simply on different planets.  lead 12 gauge -  box of 25 is a fiver - - .  Most of my old pals were re-loaders.  Visiting at coffee the other morning it is getting harder and harder to find tall brass.

There is no chance the distribution and ownership of firearms and ammo, including shotguns, will diminish in the United States. Today - there are more than 3.5 TRILLION  rounds of ammunition in private ownership.

Phone