Unemployed !!

Martin56

I've socks older than the kids who work at the job centre who say I need  to get another job!!!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Watch the buggers they dont need much of an excuse to get even on an older person (or any person) and "fine" you for the slightest infringement of the rules!

Bite your tongue and check everything they say they will tell you anything to get you out of the door going by experience then when you say another employee told you it was ok deny it is.

When you give someone power but little money they will use as much of that power as they can!

Best of luck but I know you have other irons in the fire?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

8 hours ago, Martin56 said:

I've socks older than the kids who work at the job centre who say I need  to get another job!!!!

I gather from your earlier post that you were made redundant Martin, I can empathise with you, I'm a veteran of 7 bouts of redundancy over the years. The ones when I was younger, although pretty traumatic financially, were easier to handle than those in my 50s and later. The later ones in particular took a toll on my health, my sanity, and my confidence. The cycle of trying to find work, while trying to appease the jobcentre staffs requirements, and keep at least a small amount of dignity, slowly ground me down. I was fortunate in that my usual bombastic 'adviser' at the jobcentre, took ill and I got a different one. He actually spoke to me, not at me, and advised me to see my GP, and explain my situation. My GP put me on 'sick' for a while, and the 'time out' did wonders for my personal wellbeing. I went back after a few weeks, and attended a course on IT, but eventually got a job back in my old trade. Unfortunately after a couple of years, I was made redundant again, but by then I was near enough to retirement age to not have them pressure me as much.

Keep your chin up, and try not to get too angry with the staff, (it's hard, I know). If they offer you a course, and you fancy it, I'd advise you to give it a go. It might not lead to a job, but it gives you something to focus on, and you get out of the house and meet a few people in similar situations.

Good Luck

John. 

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Thanks John, chesters & Phone.

At 63 & 1/4 now I could actually retire & we'd be OK.

It's now more about taking that leap of faith & what will I do. ?

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All,

Sorry Martin - my response was a language issue. But I do have some experience with your dilemma.

Two places that are always looking  and are easy pickings with the right fit.

Teacher's Assistant

Teacher assistants (or aides) work under the supervision of a licensed teacher to give students extra attention and instruction. Estimates for job growth of 8% between 2016 and 2026. About a third of teacher assistants work on a part-time basis, and in most school systems, you’ll get your summers off.

Adjunct

Part-time faculty (“adjuncts”) accounted for a significant portion of the instructional faculty at nonprofit colleges and universities – and you don’t need a Ph.D. to snag one of these teaching jobs. While the pay is generally low – perhaps only a few thousand dollars per course – many retirees find the work fulfilling. Plus, once you’ve taught a course a couple of times, you won’t have to devote as many hours to class prep. Trade schools are always looking.

Phone

I did a stint at both just for the heck of it and it was an enjoyment (never 5 days a week)

Phone

Edited by Phone

Just retire early Martin, once you've convinced yourself it's the right move, you'll wonder when you found the time to work.

Mid week fishing in deserted spots, Grandkids from school, all those little jobs you've been meaning to do for the last 25 years.

Retirement is a full time ocupation

• Like 1
If all else fails, follow the intructions.

Martin,

Cameraman is right.  BUT - - I have to tell you it's not as easy as he lets on.

In retirement you get ZERO days off, not even bank holidays. I "retired" at 62 - now 80. Eight grandchildren and six great grandchildren.

I traded six figure income for the best and happiest 18 years of my life.

Phone

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Phone said:

Martin,

Cameraman is right.  BUT - - I have to tell you it's not as easy as he lets on.

In retirement you get ZERO days off, not even bank holidays. I "retired" at 62 - now 80. Eight grandchildren and six great grandchildren.

I traded six figure income for the best and happiest 18 years of my life.

Phone

Everything Mr Phone says is true.

Absolutely.

Except I wasn't on 6 figures unless you included the pennies.

• Like 1
If all else fails, follow the intructions.

I agree with both cameraman and phone, it can be fantastic, but would advise a degree of caution. 

I would talk it over with your wife, check your finances, and how much early retirement would impact your final pension. I don't think you drive, so check where you can get to a water either on foot, public transport, or have a fishing friend you could travel with. I didn't have transport, having had the use of a company vehicle for so long. I bought a car to enable me to go fishing, and carry my grandson, (who was born a month after my retirement), to the many hospital visits he needed in his first couple of years. Without my grandson, or the car, I think I would have stagnated at home, but they got me moving, and gave me something to focus on. My wife is one of the 'waspies' that got stung over her retirement age, and is still working. I run her to work and back each day, but she has the option to retire this year, and is undecided whether to go part time, or retire completely. It's partially the money, but unlike me, she loves her work, and the social life with her workmates. That's another thing that I would consider, whether you would prefer to take a small part time job, to ease you into retirement, it's worked for a few people I know. We are all different, and have different needs, and lifestyles. I, for instance, have always been a bit of a loner, with just a few people that I would call friends, and I was mostly fine with my own company. Over the years, I have lost contact with many people, especially angling friends who chose a different 'commercial' path to me. I now find that I sometimes miss having them around, it's probably an age thing.

I might sound all 'doom and gloom', but I've known many people over the years, who have longed for retirement, but found that the idea, and the reality, don't always match. They have found themselves 'lost', and have fallen into depression. Some have eventually found something to focus on, be it part time work, a hobby, and in the case of a widower neighbour, a new lady friend. Other have not been so lucky, and have deteriorated both physically, and mentally, into a 'different' person.

I hope it doesn't sound like a 'trying to teach my grandma to suck eggs' thing, I genuinely believe it's not always an easy thing to adapt to.

Whatever you decide Martin, I hope it works out well for you, and your missus.

John.

Edited by gozzer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John