Long or short ...

Adam247

So it’s been a while ... really long while ... since I posted here - had few changes happen in life and back on my feet so to say . But to get to the point of this post - for any lure anglers what would your preferred rod length be for a heavy lure setup? I currently have a 6-6 Daiwa jerkbait rod - stiff as a telegraph pole but a decent piece of kit matched with an Abu c3. And recently bought a westin powershad T which is 8-6 - heavier castablity >160g ... which I plan to pair with my Okuma Citrix. Or even my old Abu tournament. Waiting for it to be delivered . So my main question is this - is longer better for line pickup and presentation or is it more for casting range ?

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

Hi Adam,

""""" is longer better for line pickup and presentation or is it more for casting range ?"""""

A good choice would be a 7 1/2 rod because it is easier to pitch the lures.  However, a good look at the tip is important also.  It must have some flexibility. Most tournaments of any count ban 8 foot and up rods. In the US we are just now getting used to longer handles (distance).

For my money the "best" is the Shakespeare Ugly Stik MH (GX2) and the Daiwa BG SW spinning reel. This is an all-around outfit for either the most casual or experienced angler without breaking the bank.  You can easily spend double this setup without any improvement.

For a rod the Ugly Stik can't be topped IMO.  from 4 1/2 ft to 12 ft.  The only down side is that you shouldn't expect more than 5 or 6 years from a $30 rod.  I don''t have that much experience with the Daiwa but it is the hot reel for 2020

Frankly, you may need more than one rod.  You fishing brush and tree limbs , have a boat, do you often pitch lures, is your casting 75% at distance, is bait placement more or less important. 

Regardless of British tradition there is no better rod than the Ugly Stik at any price, 100% balanced for lure fishing

Phone

Have to wade in on this thread...Ugly sticks are good, however, for my money the Daiwa Heartland takes a lot of beating. I fish mainly for barramundi, be it in a river, dam, or sea and my heartland, at 5.6ft coupled to an ABU Record, or an ABU Ambassadeur 5600c4 has taken many big fish. Most of my fishing has been with lures, from small 10 gram metals to 6" barrabait lures and softies.

P1070362.JPG.53833694e7b2805361dab2579849a6e9.JPG

566849980_Picture010.jpg.ac210aa5e83ae39cdb061101cd959789.jpg

Most fish have been caught within 30 metres, so, why use 160 gram 'sinkers'?

And, yes, same rod, 10 years apart...

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Bob Is the reel in the pic the tiny Abu Record 2100 from the 1970s with the magnesium spool?

I still have one of these in my shed somewhere that I bought back in around 1974/75-ish

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

1 hour ago, BoldBear said:

Bob Is the reel in the pic the tiny Abu Record 2100 from the 1970s with the magnesium spool?

I still have one of these in my shed somewhere that I bought back in around 1974/75-ish

Keith

No, mate, it is the Record 60. Had to check, as it has been “put out to pasture” and  I thought it might have been my ABU Rocket. But the Rocket has not got a level wind.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I'll be the weirdo. While I like baicasters for lures upto a couple of ounces, I prefer a fixed spool outfit and a 7' rod for anything heavier.

Anything longer than 8' makes casting all day a chore. 

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Length of the rod I use would depend on the venue etc.  Very often i've used a 12ft match rod when fishing over a reed bed or a lot of marginal weeds.  I also use 11ft, 9ft, 8ft, 7ft and a 6ft dedicated lure rods of varying casting weights for various species and waters.  I think a 8ft rod is a decent all round length for lure fishing on a lot of waters.

Forgot to mention reels, for the biggest part I prefer a fixed spool reel but do use a baitcasre/multiplier on occassion, usualy with a heavy enough lure to cast enough distance.

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1