Anyone Been Shopping Lately?

Elton

21 minutes ago, chesters1 said:

I bet the yanks are not laughing at the "preppers" any more lol

Got some serious shopping to do once its all over ,we have not shopped since the 5th and we have used about half of one of our 3 freezers .

I might get even more anal and start making lists so when we use something its replaced ,now where did i leave my desert bunker?

My sister says all the supermarkets near her have been stripped and i checked all the big ones for delivery slots and its at least a 3 week wait ,i couldnt panic buy if i wanted to

Nothing wrong with having 3 Freezers when you've always had 3 freezers chesters, It's those which have gone out & bought another this week with the sole intention of stripping the shelves bare, with NO consideration for others!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I panic buyed over many months lol

Most is down to living a mile from the nearest bus stop ,you cannot just pop to the shop if you run out of anything ! Saying that we now have a village shop but your pension wont go far shopping there!

With the bridge closed for a year they have not been buying new stock as the passing trade has gone ,i dont think they will last until it opens

Our biggest problem is we have something in one of our sheds that knaws boxes with food in but can eat the bait in two different electronic mouse killers and remove the bait from old fashioned mouse traps without seeting them off.one of the traps has 3 electric plates so it must be wearing tiny rubber boots!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

We've been buying a bit extra each week for the last month or so, we have enough tinned stuff, rice, etc to last us a few weeks. Both freezers are full, so it's just fresh stuff we need. We went to the shops on Saturday, and worse than the shortages, was the stupidity of many of the people. Coughing, sneezing, without any attempt to use anything to catch it, spitting, crowding people, (that was so bad, I had to shout at one bloke to 'Back Off', when he leaned right over me, with his face inches from mine). I'm not sure whether these people are stupid, or just don't have any regard for others, but they really pee me off either way.

I've heard so many saying that it's 'only flu', and only effects us oldies, I think they had better read up on it. When I've told them to research the after effects of having the virus, and the state of the lungs of many who have 'survived' it. The irreparable scarring of the lung tissue, can leave the patient with diminished lung capacity and open to many other infections, with less chance of surviving a 'second wave' of the virus, and that's regardless of age. 

We spent today in the garden, cleaning up more of the damage caused by the recent storms, and generally tidying up the place. I've been sorting my fishing gear out, as well as making a few floats. I've just finished off 18 assorted floats, and was testing shotting capacity, with a tench trip in mind, when the thought occurred that I don't know when, or if, I'll ever use them! 

These are scary, and uncertain times, take care everyone.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer, did you see on telly that the likes of you & I with copd etc are expected to self Isolate for the next 12 weeks??

Wondering whether to bother wasting £30 (I'm 63) for the EA License to fish with our Club. 

Edited by Martin56

I will be self isolating to a field this week the grass has just been cut and i may have left a roman hoard behind

The field nearer the house has been cut aswell but to get to it i have to go through the owners garden so i will skip that one for both our sakes ,pity i havnt been in that one yet!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

6 hours ago, Martin56 said:

Gozzer, did you see on telly that the likes of you & I with copd etc are expected to self Isolate for the next 12 weeks??

Wondering whether to bother wasting £30 (I'm 63) for the EA License to fish with our Club. 

Yes I saw it Martin, but I think the letters will go out to those with more serious conditions, such as MS, leukaemia, or those who have had heart surgery. It's a good idea to self isolate for as long as you are able though.

My daughter who works at St James hospital, gave us a good old 'dressing down' for going out on Saturday, saying that we should be more careful, and if we need anything that's what she's there for. We're reluctant to ask because we know how much stress the NHS staff are under, and even though she tries to hide it, it shows in her voice when she phones us. She a Radio Therapist, treating cancer patients, as well as seeing to the welfare of students coming through the system. They are trying to 'fast track' some of the latest intake so that they can be treating sooner than usual, but without compromising the treatments of patients. On top of this there have been Hazmat training sessions, and regular updates on new procedures, and then having to use less suitable PPE than that which they have been trained on. The trust have also decided that they will only be testing 'inpatients' for Covid19. Those that come daily for cancer treatments are being classed as 'outpatients', so are not tested.  

My EA licence runs from Oct to Oct, so I'm ok for a while. I haven't joined a club yet and not sure I will. I can see all 'unnecessary' travel being banned soon, and the actions of the mindless mobs causing parks, and National Trust grounds to be closed. I've already heard of many commercial fisheries closing, so there will be few, if any places left to fish, unless you have bankside frontage to your property. The long term future of angling could also be in in jeopardy, with the average age of anglers being fairly high, this virus could put a large dent our numbers over the coming year or so.

Cheerful sod aren't I? :D

Take care all

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Not sure how any bans could work! What is necessary to one isnt to another .

Besides bringing in draconian laws that may not be repealed once the disease has gone i wonder what else is being 'buried behind bad news' ?

The crims have seemingly been given free reign! police put themselves at risk coming within 6 feet of someone, police stations wont be having new 'visitors' for the same reason ,courts will be closed only martial law and shooting anyone seen can work and whos going to pick up the bodies?

I am glad the government shut all the borders when the virus came to be noticed .......no wait they didnt and they still are coming to finish the job! Yet boris tells us to stay at home yet cannot get the balls to tell foreigners to!

Edited by chesters1

Yes John, we won't be getting a letter as we won't be in the 1.5 million or so special needs people.

Wife & I some 3 years ago are eternally grateful for the several follow up radio therapy treatments she received due to breast cancer surgery.

Quite likely your Daughter treated my wife at Jimmy's.

Please thank her & the team from the bottom of our hearts.

Martin & Marilyn.

Edited by Martin56

36 minutes ago, Martin56 said:

Yes John, we won't be getting a letter as we won't be in the 1.5 million or so special needs people.

Wife & I some 3 years ago are eternally grateful for the several follow up radio therapy treatments she received due to breast cancer surgery.

Quite likely your Daughter treated my wife at Jimmy's.

Please thank her & the team from the bottom of our hearts.

Martin & Marilyn.

Thanks Martin, will do.

If not my daughter, then certainly one of the team. They are a great bunch, and I've had plenty of calls pleading for a lift when they've been stuck after a night out. Because many of them were only in there early twenties when they first moved to Leeds, we've always been there if needed, and are called 'adopted second parents' by some. 

My brother was diagnosed with prostate cancer about 6 or so years ago, and was treated there. Obviously my daughter wasn't allowed to treat him, but he said that the team told him that they had been warned to take special care, because they'd have to answer to Helen if they didn't :nono::D, he couldn't praise them enough. It saddens, and sickens me to see and hear what they, and the rest of the NHS staff are having to endure at the moment, often with little, or no appreciation from some that they treat. A simple thank you, can so often make a difference.

John. 

• Thanks 1