How is everyone doing?

gozzer

I, too, hope Vagabond is safe and well somewhere. 

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

On 4/10/2020 at 12:28 PM, Elton said:

I, too, hope Vagabond is safe and well somewhere. 

He's prolly fishing  on a canoe deep in some uncharterd territory :).

I think Dave would just shrugg C19 off like water off a ducks back!

On 4/12/2020 at 11:58 AM, Tigger said:

Mostly or reet thank's John.

Lets hope it all ends quicker than it started.....wishfull thinking I know!

Best of luck to all :).

Good to hear that you're keeping ok, Ian. My rod licence runs out at the start of November, and I'm hoping to get some use from it before it expires.

I must admit, I'm struggling a bit more than I thought I would. I think it's the not being able to see an end to it that grates.

We had a decent Easter, took the eggs for the grand kids round to my sons. They live in a flat, and after a scare the other week, have been isolated completely. They brought the kids down to the entrance, we left the bag with the eggs in, half way up the steps, and backed off. My grandson started to come down the steps towards us, ( he usually shouts 'catch grandad', and launches himself at me from the third step), but we told him to stop, and he reluctantly went back up to his mum. It was the first time he'd been out of the flat, for nearly 3 weeks, and was showing us his 'exercise' moves on the handrails. It was like he'd been released from prison! We had a multi face time session, where my daughter hid eggs in her garden, and took a panoramic shot , and we had to spot them. Then we did a 'scavenger hunt', and quiz for the kids, and one for the adults. It all worked out pretty well, and it might become a weekly event. 

I've spent more time in the garden, and sorted the shed. I found about a dozen rods that haven't been used for years. Mostly my old glass rods, including a Shakespeare international match, Sealey blue match, Milbro Enterprise, an avon type rod 'Octoplus' by Sealey again I think with brass ferrules, the very first glass rod I bought circa 1963/4 ( 4piece 13ft Japanese). A few that belonged to my dad, a greenheart pike rod, that I'd used boat fishing off Flamborough head, and a built cane with greenheart tip, float rod. Add to this a few odd ones I'd picked up from unknown sources over the years. As I laid them out on the grass, I thought to myself that there was over 100yrs of family angling history laying there, and each rod brought back memories of sessions, and angling companions, from years long past. 

I'm not too keen on this getting older lark, it seems like I've passed a cut off point. I was 70 last week, and according to some of the stats concerning Covid19, I had a better chance of surviving it the week before than I have now. I've had a call from my GPs surgery, asking how I'm coping, do I need any extra help, can I still manage call round for my meds etc, and then one today asking if I want my Shingles jab, because there has been an increase in chicken pox in the area, and they are advising all over 70s to get the jab. I was ok aged 69, but it's like something's dropped off, and I'm less able to function after my 70th birthday! :wheelchair: I'm not being ungrateful for the offers of help, and although I'll accept the vaccine, I think there are those who need the help more than I do. 

Stay safe everybody

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Keep safe we saw the 3 youngest grandkids saturday they stayed in the front garden and played whilst we chatted to the parents from a safe distance.

The older two biked over yesterday along the bridal ways, stayed for an hour or so then loaded with snacks and drinks cycled back

Not seen the daughters grandkids they live in town so dont need a car so dangerous getting here by public transport,no doubt they will make up for it when gran visits them after its all over

Strange how getting old makes doctors ignore the top of you and concentrate on the lower half not far behind you in years strange times we live in ,as i used to say to the old bloke two doors away i think his and our generation has seen the best of it ! Its downhill from now

I had a milbro enterprise and sold it ,loved the blue matches my mum used to get them for me from her freemans catalogues

Angling was big once ,every catalogue had some in it ,most big stores sold some and there seemed to be an angling shop e every mile or so

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

47 minutes ago, chesters1 said:

Keep safe we saw the 3 youngest grandkids saturday they stayed in the front garden and played whilst we chatted to the parents from a safe distance.

The older two biked over yesterday along the bridal ways, stayed for an hour or so then loaded with snacks and drinks cycled back

Not seen the daughters grandkids they live in town so dont need a car so dangerous getting here by public transport,no doubt they will make up for it when gran visits them after its all over

Strange how getting old makes doctors ignore the top of you and concentrate on the lower half not far behind you in years strange times we live in ,as i used to say to the old bloke two doors away i think his and our generation has seen the best of it ! Its downhill from now

I had a milbro enterprise and sold it ,loved the blue matches my mum used to get them for me from her freemans catalogues

Angling was big once ,every catalogue had some in it ,most big stores sold some and there seemed to be an angling shop e every mile or so

My first glass rod came from a catalogue run by my mates mum, back then it work out about £1 per foot, not cheap back then. I'd used my dads old rods until then and they were all about 11 ft, so my first 13ft match rod was a revelation. It lasted me quite a while, and won me a few matches over the years, until I started work and extended my 'armoury'. One rod I found and forgot to mention, was a 10'-6" leger rod I bought from Woolworths. I bought it when I started fishing more matches on the bigger rivers, it had a beautiful action, and it was still in use until a few years ago. I liked the Enterprise, but had to add lead to the butt to balance it, it seems so heavy now. It was relegated to still water float fishing for tench, bream and carp, where it stayed in the rests until needed. The Blue match was a very light rod, again 13ft, but the butt section got damaged, so it was shortened and is now about 11ft, and used on small waters, or fishing close in. Tackle shops are practically non existent around here now, I used to have the choice of a half dozen within a mile or so. I now use Bobco, it's a massive place, and a bit overwhelming at first, but it has the friendly feel of the old time shops once you get used to it. Only trouble is that it's across Leeds and about 5 miles away, it's saving grace is that it's on route to most of the places I fish.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

33 minutes ago, gozzer said:

My first glass rod came from a catalogue run by my mates mum, back then it work out about £1 per foot, not cheap back then. I'd used my dads old rods until then and they were all about 11 ft, so my first 13ft match rod was a revelation. It lasted me quite a while, and won me a few matches over the years, until I started work and extended my 'armoury'. One rod I found and forgot to mention, was a 10'-6" leger rod I bought from Woolworths. I bought it when I started fishing more matches on the bigger rivers, it had a beautiful action, and it was still in use until a few years ago. I liked the Enterprise, but had to add lead to the butt to balance it, it seems so heavy now. It was relegated to still water float fishing for tench, bream and carp, where it stayed in the rests until needed. The Blue match was a very light rod, again 13ft, but the butt section got damaged, so it was shortened and is now about 11ft, and used on small waters, or fishing close in. Tackle shops are practically non existent around here now, I used to have the choice of a half dozen within a mile or so. I now use Bobco, it's a massive place, and a bit overwhelming at first, but it has the friendly feel of the old time shops once you get used to it. Only trouble is that it's across Leeds and about 5 miles away, it's saving grace is that it's on route to most of the places I fish.

John.

I may have the same woolies rod ,a dull orangy brown colour? Lost 6" off the tip and reringed many times ,it lives in the loft with my some old favourites in a locker in the loft some may tickle you ,i am an avid list maker! Many more in tubes and holdalls but not got round to listing them yet

abu atlantic 402
abu 5 star graphite. ss100 4m
abu ferralite mk7 13 ft
abu enticer 13ft match
abu caster 152 zoom
abu atlantic 483 zoom x 2 one needs tip eye
abu atlantic 403 zoom
shake omnimatch 12ft
intrepid boat
intrepid spin ledger 9ft
intrepid 12ft float v1 x 2
intrepid 12ft float v2 x2
intrepid fly rod
intrepid beach caster 2nd version
intrepid beachcaster  1st version
chapman the shelford
martin james 4 piece glass in tube
13ft granger taperflash
13ft taperflash
sealy black arrow
webley 10ft super carp
shake? match 13ft
pdq tag barnes super pike
10ft essex surfmaster solid glass
auger tiger 8ft
spindrift damaged ferrule
taperflash
chevron match
sowerbutts ru-lite 16ft
milbro reliant
auger romney
b james b&w mk1V f/glass compound taper
hardy victor 12ft needs tip eye
daiwa moonraker supreme 9200e 12ft

The woolies one must be in a tube ,some of the above are solid glass but dont have the heart to chuck them

Dont start me on reels i have untold numbers only the intrepids are listed!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

3 minutes ago, chesters1 said:

I may have the same woolies rod ,a dull orangy brown colour? Lost 6" off the tip and reringed many times ,it lives in the loft with my some old favourites in a locker in the loft some may tickle you ,i am an avid list maker! Many more in tubes and holdalls but not got round to listing them yet

abu atlantic 402
abu 5 star graphite. ss100 4m
abu ferralite mk7 13 ft
abu enticer 13ft match
abu caster 152 zoom
abu atlantic 483 zoom x 2 one needs tip eye
abu atlantic 403 zoom
shake omnimatch 12ft
intrepid boat
intrepid spin ledger 9ft
intrepid 12ft float v1 x 2
intrepid 12ft float v2 x2
intrepid fly rod
intrepid beach caster 2nd version
intrepid beachcaster  1st version
chapman the shelford
martin james 4 piece glass in tube
13ft granger taperflash
13ft taperflash
sealy black arrow
webley 10ft super carp
shake? match 13ft
pdq tag barnes super pike
10ft essex surfmaster solid glass
auger tiger 8ft
spindrift damaged ferrule
taperflash
chevron match
sowerbutts ru-lite 16ft
milbro reliant
auger romney
b james b&w mk1V f/glass compound taper
hardy victor 12ft needs tip eye
daiwa moonraker supreme 9200e 12ft

That list reminds me of somebody’s signature on here in the distant past, “My only worry if I die is that my Wife sells my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it”

• Haha 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

There are a few absentee chaps that also come to mind, Sportsman in France and Captain Cojonos in Spain to name two.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

1 minute ago, Huge_Vitae said:

That list reminds me of somebody’s signature on here in the distant past, “My only worry if I die is that my Wife sells my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it”

The most quirky one in the list is the ru-lite light it isnt ,very thick walled glass and the butt end must be 3" wide ,not come across any old adverts for it but i would guess late 50's still in its bag