How is everyone doing?

gozzer

ALL,

I've been meaning to do this scientifically. Rather than that I ask a bunch of fellow lying fishermen

My understanding prior to covid19 was that an "antibody" was a good thing since that's what provides immunity after having a bout of the disease or a vaccine jab.

Now my question - when testing for corvid19 are they testing to see if you have the pathogen or are they testing to see if you have any antibodies?  If testing for antibodies wouldn't a positive outcome be a "good thing" and testing for the presents of the virus a "bad thing"?

So - - - - - - - - - what the 'ell are they testing?

Phone

I could be totally wrong, but from what i've seen and read they are working on tests for antibodies at the moment. I think the big unknown seems to be that if someone has had covid19and recovered, do they have antibodies and if so how much protection do they have and for how long is that protection going to last. 

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Ant,

I agree - begs the question why isn't a POSITIVE outcome a good thing. I know the jury is still out on susceptibility for re-occurrences and to what extent the asymptomatic covid19  are a danger to society. They do have the active virus.(disease) Lots of unanswered questions.

Phone

And ofcourse the government will leave a lot of unanswered questions aswell.

Guess apon guess ,hints apon hopes and misinformation because of it depending on how you want it to appear to be. Those involved in research and testing want more money the government dont want to spend anything ,industry will use any excuse to raise prices or demand hand outs and the population sits at the bottom of the pile clueless to the truth and paying the bills,if its not disease its frost floods or lack of rain money is at the root of it mismanagement makes it happen !

Its now the start of the 3rd month in the village ,we hear the shop went bust because trade stopped because the bridge still isnt repaired (typical English heritage meddling) you would think the increased trade because of covid would help but it appears not!

It will be strange when normality comes back my shopping trolley hasnt been in action for 2 months!i wonder how many of the older workers at sainsbury will still be alive and the perdominately elderly customers who use the shop compared to the big store further out?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The initial tests were all PCR tests to look for the RNA of the virus itself. These are done with a swab of your nose and throat. A positive result told you that you actually had the virus, whether or not you were displaying symptoms BUT if you'd had the virus and your immune system had already dispatched it, there would be no virus to detect and your result would be negative.

The antibody test looks for the antibodies that your body starts producing a day or two after encountering the virus and will typically be a pin prick blood test. This will test positive if you have the virus and will continue to test positive after you've beaten it, making it much more useful for assessing the prevalence of infection in the population and the extent of so called "herd immunity".

Both types of test can produce both false positives and false negatives but the aim is to get the proportion of these down as low as possible.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I actually went to saisnburrys yesterday my son took me ,mostly to see how my finances were doing (thinking of online banking now) and to get some cash as the piggy bank was empty after 2 months.

I wore a mask and boy they are hard work i had added extra filtration in the form of part of a hepa filter and carbon filter puffing away like a grampus i spotted a few masks on others (userly the elderly) and some sporting cycling dust masks but in the main most were acting as normal.

Difficult the first time out to see how things operate queue wise and the modern etiquetteof plague living but managed to buy the mrs a much needed scratch card a newspaper and her blimmin national enquirer and home son says tesco is far more regimented but thats far far away in aldershot so perhaps another 2 months time.

I was banned from wearing my positive ventilation mask i made ,my son refused to be seen with darth vader ,perhaps it will get an outing in the second wave of death?

One surprise was (son said it happened) that the trolleys handles were not cleaned going back to the store storage area ,the kit appeared to be there but the nearest employee seemed more interested in his phone ,perhaps looking up instructions how to operate a hand operated spray gun ? Had i known i would have had some propanol and done it myself

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

We don't leave the house without hand sanitiser chesters, my missus is almost obsessive about it. Half way round the shop, before and after check out, even more so if using the self service check out, when I take it out of the trolley, and again after putting it away at home. Anti bacterial wipes for trollies if the staff don't do it, and even a good wipe round in the car if we use it, (still got over 3/4 of a tank left after filling up over 6 weeks ago). Shopping is strange now, if you've not been for a while. The advantage of having transport, is that when we need a bigger shop, I drive first to Morrisons to see if there is a big queue, if there is, it's a short run to either Asda or Tesco, and finally our guaranteed quiet shop, a small M&S, a bit pricey and smaller selection, but never crowded, and the staff are always wiping the equipment down. We've been lucky the last couple of times in finding Morrisons devoid of queues and pretty quiet, we've got to know when the quiet times are. I also go to a local petrol station shop for fresh milk, bread, my wifes Saturday morning paper, and the lotto if I feel like doing it. Apart from that, we rarely venture out of the garden. We live in a semi urban area, that over the last ten years or so, as seen a massive increase in buildings, both residential, and industrial. I'm not too keen on  taking a walk through a mile or so of housing or industrial estates, before reaching a decent area of open country that isn't private land. 

I see that the interview with Baroness Altmann that I mentioned earlier has got the attention of the powers that be, in regard to using criteria other than just age, when suggesting permissible movement during an easing of lockdown. A good thing too!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I just forgot to take mine ,i asked son if he could take me and he said yes and away we went!

Big order from morrisons this morning using prime now pretty good app and you can see the driver getting closer like the other delivery apps!

The only downfall was the packer packed dishwasher tabs not washing machine ones but larder and freezers full again ready for the next 2 months

All,

Our local distillery, as a gesture to the community distilled about 4 or 5 hundred gallons of methanol, as opposed to ethanol. In half pint bottles their concoction was distributed no charge and as many bottles as you like.  For those interested the "recipe" that came from reliable health authorities is 80% alcohol - 15% hydrogen peroxide and 5% glycerol's. It had to be properly FDA labeled.

Works a treat

Phone

Get some and drink it anyway Phone, just add some cheap aftershave to it for flavoUr. ? ? ? 

• Haha 2

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."