Duckweed

wotnobivvy

I was clearing the duckweed from my pond a lot of which was entangled in the oxygenating plants. I did not finish it in one day as I got a bit knackered. When I checked the next day the fish were coming to the surface and eating it. Never seen them do that before so I am leaving them to it !!

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

On 4/13/2020 at 10:22 PM, wotnobivvy said:

I was clearing the duckweed from my pond a lot of which was entangled in the oxygenating plants. I did not finish it in one day as I got a bit knackered. When I checked the next day the fish were coming to the surface and eating it. Never seen them do that before so I am leaving them to it !!

Just curious, but what plants are not oxygenating?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

All the oxygenating plants are working. it was the duckweed that was covering it and was difficult to skim off. I had to work it loose and it floated around the pond where the fish started to and still are eating it.

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

• 3 weeks later...

WOTNOB,

I missed this thread.  Submersed plants are the best oxygenators, as they release oxygen (O2) directly into pond water Hornwort, anacharis or elodea, and eelgrass are popular examples of submerged pond plants.

Duckweed in very fertile nutrient pond can be troublesome.  Duckweed can eat a lot and propagate quickly. I'm not sure what "entangled" means?  There's nothing about duckweed that could entangle.

Generally speaking carp(ish) are about the only fishes that eat duckweed and that won't be by choice

I guess by now you have it sorted

Phone