Still fishing?

Peter Waller

During the present lockdown is there an official ruling on angling? In my case I have the great good fortune to have a tidal water at the end of my garden, meaning that I don't have to travel, at least not far and then across my own land. From bed to swim is about 110 yards, lucky me. Seems to me that the formal restrictions are on travel rather than the activity itself. It would seem to me that there are many anglers who live near to fisheries and would be able to meet the social distancing rules with ease. I rather suspect that this year's June 16th will be a non event as we strive to survive but I am talking angling!  

Not sure excercise is a moot point probably the biggest factor is it your land you are crossing and what would the owner say?

I have the ok on one of my detecting permissions but the field nearest the house is out of bounds until its all over ,hes using it as an excercise field .

Then theres the chances of getting caught by the rozzers they will most probably warn you if you act innocent if ofcourse theyre  about to catch you !

I could get to the field unseen and play in it unseen and theres been no sign of any cops for 6 months the nearest they get appears to be pulling speeders on the elstead road going by the occasional siren

Fishing is excercise for the body and soul and chuck in the mind for good measure ,finding untold numbers of ring pulls is the opposite!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

1 hour ago, Peter Waller said:

During the present lockdown is there an official ruling on angling? In my case I have the great good fortune to have a tidal water at the end of my garden, meaning that I don't have to travel, at least not far and then across my own land. From bed to swim is about 110 yards, lucky me. Seems to me that the formal restrictions are on travel rather than the activity itself. It would seem to me that there are many anglers who live near to fisheries and would be able to meet the social distancing rules with ease. I rather suspect that this year's June 16th will be a non event as we strive to survive but I am talking angling!  

Lucky you indeed Peter - make the most while ever you can get away with it!! & good luck mate. :fishing:

Maybe you could even remind us all what a fish looks like!!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Peter - I fall into a similar category to you, where I could with no doubt at all fish safely, 100% without standing any chance of compromising someone else - it's bloody frustrating, to say the least. The (tidal) riverbank, controlled by the club (where I'm a committee member, and bailiff) is a 3 minute walk away from where I live. Likewise, the nearest club lake is a similar distance - both can be accessed along a short section of dead-end road, passing just 3 properties en-route, on a pathway at least 25 metres away from garden boundaries - we pass each other every day walking dogs as a matter of course, and the section of road, being a dead-end, sees virtually no foot-traffic or vehicles at all, even at 'normal' times.

In a typical year, I MIGHT see a half dozen people in total fishing the river, and most times would expect to have the lake to myself - if it's VERY busy there will be maybe 3 other anglers on there, with 36 fixed pegs to fish from.

I can walk there, and around the lake or along the river every day if I choose, with the dog, my lads, other half or any combination of them, within current guidelines.

I can sit on any of the benches should I choose, to take a rest - sometimes a necessity (presumably, I could also put up my fishing chair, much more comfortable on one of the pegs for the same reason, carried by a willing son).

As it happens, with the correct paperwork in place (which it is), I can legitimately do this several times each day should I choose to do so, or if it is necessary, all within the government guidelines.

Put up a rod and fish? WHAT????? In all honesty, in the context of fighting this bloody virus, what is the difference?

Should I choose to do so, it would cause ructions, vilification, and no doubt being ostracised by the holier-than-thou brigade afterwards (which would be a major loss, not - I'd be able to fish in peace more often ?  )

Under the circumstances I choose NOT to fish, in  part to set an example to the idiots who ARE still trying to fish the lake (so far, all chancers / non members, who shift smartish when they see me approaching) - and I think, therein lies the problem.

IF a few of us - those who CAN genuinely fish safely, choose to do so - everyone else will simply jump on the band-wagon, with potentially dire consequences - most of the ones I've bumped off the lake are not only fishing when they know they should not be, but are often fishing two to a peg (or 4 in one case - a couple of guys - evidently experienced anglers, too, mum, and a young lad!)

On a similar subject, can anyone please explain to me the logic of allowing cyclists out to play - you know, that sweaty, spitting lot who ride on footpaths for preference, while keeping us indoors? I've lost count of the number of couple I've seen pass our house on shiny new bikes - she having no idea how to use the brakes or change gear, and him no better - and both definitely acolytes of the great God, McDonalds, rather than regular, keen cyclists?

Martin, best bit of advice yet! Whilst I appreciate Philocalist's self imposed fast I rather suspect for many anglers it will be a case of 'where there is a will there is a way' and I for one won't blame them, provided that they keep heir distances and fish responsibly and legally.

I have a footpath running down the side of my garden and likewise have seen a sizable increase in cyclist and walker numbers. 

I believe as philocalist, and chesters, have said, it's not you going fishing that's the problem, it's the idiots that use it as an excuse to meet up with mates and have a session that are. I've read reports, and seen photos of anglers bivvied up for the weekend, some had put tape at a 'safe' distance around their pitch, others were fishing two to a swim. Some commercial fishery owners have put up videos of them and their families fishing their own lakes although the fishery is closed to the public. I suppose it's a form of advertising, to keep it in peoples minds. I think the rule of thumb is that, if you have access to fishing from your own land that's a part of your garden, ie, river bank, lake etc, then it's ok to fish it. If on the other hand you have to travel a distance, or enter/pass through other peoples property, public land, use a public footpath, or if the owners of the land, or fishery have said the water is closed, then it's no fishing. I can appreciate the comments about cyclists, having witnessed groups of six or more riding in what can only be described as a 'peloton'. No rider is more than a few feet away from another and they are chatting away, spitting, as they ride down the road. They seem to think that because of the drop traffic in numbers, they can act as a rolling road block. These are the equivalent of those that will see you fishing, and go out of their way to approach you to ask 'caught anything?', or think 'if they can do it, so can I'. We then end up with shoulder to shoulder idiots along the bank. 

At the moment, I'm treating it as an extended version of the old closed season, with fingers crossed that there will be at least a partial easing of the restrictions around mid June. I believe that any lifting of the restrictions will be a phased one, and I fear that those of us of a 'certain age', (old gits) will be amongst those that are 'advised' to stay home for longer.

As a footnote, our self appointed 'Lords and Masters' have spoken on the subject,

https://www.anglingtrust.net/

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

ALL,

What I found specific to the question

The Environment Agency has closed most of its offices, with only four, Horizon House in Bristol, Quadrant 2 in Sheffield, Temple borough in Rotherham and 2 Marsham Street in London remaining open to essential staff only.

Fishing is not classed as a daily exercise by Government

You are exempt if you are at your private residence (with access) does not mention "owmership"

Phone

To be honest, amongst all this comotion and uncertainty I really wouldn't go fishing even if I legally could.

We have another three week lockdown so i'll wait and see what/if any rules the government relaxe after that.  

Fingers crossed things do slacken off.

• Like 1