Tobacco!

*Ant*

Yes i'm an unPC dirty and smelly smoker, i'll get that out of the way 1st. 

I've been a smoker for many many years. I don't really enjoy it, apart from maybe the first smoke of the day and after a meal, but i'm addicted to the dreaded weed. 

But because of this lockdown, a few weeks ago I started looking online and browsing the relatively few online tobacconists with the thought of rolling my own and seeing how I get on. My only experience of pipe tobacco was the amazing aroma coming from an old uncles pipe when I was a wee nipper. I've over the last weeks sampled a few, and even though I know how bad it is for me, I must admit i'm enjoying smoking again. The vast varieties, flavours, cuts, blends and nicotine hits are a real joy. I guess it's not the "proper thing" to be smoking pipe tobaccos in hand rolled cigarettes, but shop bought cigarettes are just plain bland in comparison. In all i've thoroughly enjoyed tasting the ones i've got hold of, and experimenting by making my own blends. The unknown to me before, much lesser tax on pipe tobacco is just a fabulous added extra. 

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

The only thing I would say Ant is, that if you've been a Ciggie smoker. (as I am) One is NOT meant to inhale Pipe or Cigar tobacco.

Pipe & Cigar smoke is meant to be  enjoyed just in one's mouth. Difficult to adjust to for a Cigarette smoker IMO.

Chewing Bacca's are also available !! (popular with coal miners where lit bacca was barred for obvious reasons - methane gas)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

20 minutes ago, Martin56 said:

The only thing I would say Ant is, that if you've been a Ciggie smoker. (as I am) One is NOT meant to inhale Pipe or Cigar tobacco.

Pipe & Cigar smoke is meant to be  enjoyed just in one's mouth. Difficult to adjust to for a Cigarette smoker IMO.

Chewing Bacca's are also available !! (popular with coal miners where lit bacca was barred for obvious reasons - methane gas)

Yes i've read that Martin. But i've been doing just fine inhaling it. :thumbs: 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, *Ant* said:

Yes i've read that Martin. But i've been doing just fine inhaling it. :thumbs: 

Licorice papers might do it even more?? I used to smoke Moore's, 40 odd years ago. 

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

39 minutes ago, Martin56 said:

Licorice papers might do it even more?? I used to smoke Moore's, 40 odd years ago. 

I did order and have a packet of the Rizla Licorice papers. I've only rolled a couple with them as yet but they seem ok, the licorice flavour is very mild and barely noticable but good. 

Surprised anyone can afford to smoke any more ,i gave up several years ago now and had always smoked rollies! i decided to buy my son a pouch for doing a job for us and nearly had a heart attack when the women behind the counter said how much it was.

I gave up using Champix and it was surprisingly easy ,i had tried patches and zyban before, will power had no chance! My mrs just stopped overnight which was annoying

I tried pipe tobacco as a youth in the first stages of working out how to look to the laadiees ,yuk so i put rollie baccy in a pipe until i realised pipes were even then an old blokes scene.I had amagined sitting holding a churchwardens long stem pipe attractive or sitting in billowing smoke from a meerschaum pipe sophisticated ,perhaps in 1862 not the 1960's even when it was a funky time and anything goes or is that went?

Edited by chesters1
  • Haha 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

6 hours ago, *Ant* said:

I guess it's not the "proper thing" to be smoking pipe tobaccos in hand rolled cigarettes,

That's been my way for a good few years now, ever since my workday pipe (a metal stemmed Falcon) and baccy was stolen by the feral  scum at Turlin Moor Junior School.

St Bruno in Liquorice papers  is my chosen poison:  the EU screwed things up a bit back in about 2011 when they decreed that pipe tobacco should be cut to a minimum size of 1.5mm instead of 1.0mm, but I've found ways around that.

7 hours ago, Martin56 said:

Chewing Bacca's are also available !! 

Whilst in the Army I served with Yanks a few times, the first time we went into the American PX, its like our NAAFI there was loads of chewing tobacco on sale with names like Indian Chief and stuff. Aged 17, never smoked I decided to try a packet (big western fan) all my mates did too. I managed maybe 20 seconds before I gagged and spat it out. Even the hardened smokers couldn't get through a pack. Smells gorgeous tastes like camel ?

The things you try at 17........

• Like 1
If all else fails, follow the intructions.

8 hours ago, chesters1 said:

Surprised anyone can afford to smoke any more ,i gave up several years ago now and had always smoked rollies! i decided to buy my son a pouch for doing a job for us and nearly had a heart attack when the women behind the counter said how much it was.

I gave up using Champix and it was surprisingly easy ,i had tried patches and zyban before, will power had no chance! My mrs just stopped overnight which was annoying

I tried pipe tobacco as a youth in the first stages of working out how to look to the laadiees ,yuk so i put rollie baccy in a pipe until i realised pipes were even then an old blokes scene.I had amagined sitting holding a churchwardens long stem pipe attractive or sitting in billowing smoke from a meerschaum pipe sophisticated ,perhaps in 1862 not the 1960's even when it was a funky time and anything goes or is that went?

The cost was a big thing in me trying rollies. I was smoking a 20 packet of regular cigarettes a day, which was costing me between £60-£65 per week. EEK!  :blink: 

Buying dedicated hand rolling tobacco would cut that down by around 50% easily. And then because pipe tobacco isn't taxed as much as handrolling tobacco I can cut that price down again by around 50%. As Ayjay says, pipe tobacco can't be cut finer than 1.5mm otherwise it's classed as handrolling tobacco. I also read a disclaimer on one of the online tobacconists I use, that it's actually illegal to use pipe tobacco in a hand rolled cigarette. I'm not sure how that is enforced exactly, lol. 

8 hours ago, ayjay said:

That's been my way for a good few years now, ever since my workday pipe (a metal stemmed Falcon) and baccy was stolen by the feral  scum at Turlin Moor Junior School.

St Bruno in Liquorice papers  is my chosen poison:  the EU screwed things up a bit back in about 2011 when they decreed that pipe tobacco should be cut to a minimum size of 1.5mm instead of 1.0mm, but I've found ways around that.

I've got a small electric blender/chopper gadget that I used to use for chopping boilies, crushing pellets and making crumb mixes etc for fishing. After a good clean it's doing a great job of cutting and blending pipe tobaccos. :D