for those unable to find delivery slots

chesters1

Unfortunately its for Amazon Prime members only

Theres amazon fresh but the deliveries can be days away.

Try Amazon prime now ....

https://primenow.amazon.co.uk/onboard?sourceUrl=%2Faccount%2Faddress...,..

Pick Morrisons their list is bigger, careful when choosing each item can come from amazon or morrisons ,if you choose both you get two bills and two delivery slots!

Get the stuff in your basket then try and checkout typically theres no deliveries available ,BUT keep the page open and refresh every few minutes i just refreshed once and got a delivery tonight from 10-12 am!

A car will appear with your stuff ,if you need a job morrisons are hiring drivers for this system !

Strangely it thinks my postcode is in london ,i didnt argue it thought that yesterday aswell and i got a delivery!

Good luck

PS i thought it was because of that letter! I passed on the info to a neighbour that the government hasnt blessed and their delivery came dinnertime

Edit does it work just with morrisons ? Perhaps a buyer to far from one may get another supplier?

PPS treat your front door like an airlock wipe everything that could be touched with bleach solution or propan and chuck the bags then wash your mits!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Can't get a slot for love nor money from the major supermarkets.

Fortunately, I stocked up on all the bulky and heavy stuff at the end of January.

Fresh stuff is a PITA to find by the time I get home but surprisingly, my local Aldi seem to be okay for things like eggs and chicken.

On a rather tangential note, how long does your flour last once vacuum packed?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Most of its past its best before date anyway and tastes and looks fine !so long as its dry with a moisture absorbing bag in it i suspect its ok for years ?

New stuff should be even longer i suppose .

I think the drier it is on vacuuming it the longer it will last but google it ofcourse, pasta is pretty similar .

With oxygen absorbers it should last even longer but they are pretty expensive unless you are a "prepper" proper!

Been watching the delivery it looks like Mohammed started out from Woking and now is near Guildford ,bugger knows how morrisons are making money out of it? The last delivery came from Frimley considerably nearer

Going to have to change the way i order i wanted olivio spread (which started a flurry of we need this from the mrs) but clicked the dont replace box ,no 500grm but they did have 250 grm which ofcourse was rejected ,DOH!

I spotted the word 'tip' but didnt notice it buying the stuff so i presume you can add a tip for the driver? I will look for it next time ,cant even do it personally we havnt any cash the last time i went to the bank was on the 5th march and i used it on compost lol

Just had a peek the spelt best before is Aug 2020 so i would hazard at least 6 months past that 18 months if vacuumed and new probably 3 years? More than that i expect it "may" start declining it depends on how its treated ,from new you know so your not taking as much chance it wasnt treated aswell historically .

I have had some stored un vacuumed for 4 years and noticed nothing wrong with it ,i found a couple of bags rearanging the cupboard ! The slightest bit of mould is your enemy if you vacuum it it gets worse!

Remember best before is just a date the product may start declining its not a use by date!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Mohammed wasnt in a good mood, he left the stuff on the drive after he grunted something as i asked him if he found the place ok , i took two bags up by the time i returned he was gone . It was a long way luckily he didnt come from the south from hindhead or it would be even further!

Strangely the out of stock item was in the bag !!

Just hooked out one of the old bags from the bin we used last week it was unvacuumed and in a pantry not outside where the rest of the flour is stored its BBD was nov 2017 (not 4 years but close enough) it tasted fine ! Luckily unlike the last house this one is dry no mould anywhere .Dry food must be dry before vacuum sealing or it will perish quicker because your putting it in a mini greenhouse ! I used to put silicone gel packets in but realised they may not work properly as you have removed almost all the air theres no circulation of air to get the moisture to the pack of silicone for it to absorb .

If packing pasta pre wrapped in plastic i would stick a pin through the bag so you remove the air from that aswell but check before doing so its not packed in a 'protective' atmosphere (nitrogen or some other inert gas) not having any oxygen is better than vacuuming leaving a tiny bit in the bag ,in that case i would vacuum bag it without making a hole just to protect the pasta bag from damage.As with everything store it in the dark!

Sugar is another long lasting substance we always have a bag in the shed for emergencies ,it goes hard even vacuumed because it contains water in the crystals but never noticed it going off although we tend to use it within a year anyway then replace it ! Even got a vacuumed sealed emergency bog roll ,vacuum sealers are cooool!

If you dont have a vacuum sealer and buy one make sure you get embossed bags if you buy them online ,you can get plastic and especialy mylar bags which only work in a vacuum table machine (where you put the bag in a dome and its sucks all the air from around the bag ) not a kitchen one ,they CAN be used but you have to get inventive .Also get one that has seal only you can then reseal plasic bags from the freezer without the risk of sucking food into the pump if its trying to vacuum it.

Edited by chesters1

Thanks for that. As my brother stocked up, even as he was joking about Bat flu not being a big issue, I'd bought enough flour, rice etc to cover both myself and his family.

Good to know the flour will keep if stored properly..

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

If you want to go the whole hog ,put a bag of flour in a vacuum bag with an oxygen remover and vacuum it and it should last even longer.

The yanks put it in a freezer before storing to kill bugs but i have never seen a bug in packaged flour but then i have never really looked .

I would if i were storing grains though just in case .

Did you try the link?

I have also added to the post above to clarify a few points in it ,cant have you getting food poisoning and dying theres few members on here as it is! I thought i was typing on this post!?

Another tip i just picked up was for vacuuming damp food ,always had difficulty with it drawing moisture up the bag and the problem it may not seal properly ,spotted if you put the food in the freezer for an hour or so then do it the moisture is frozen and stays put! Fish are a bugger for being damp i think they live in water!

Vacuum bagging also lets you keep frozen food longer ,removing most of the air stops ice forming and freezer burn ,nothing worse than burnt chicken or veg with the water that was inside in clumps on the outside !

Edited by chesters1

I didn't but I don't have a Prime account.

I have some pasta in a blue food grade barrel and I've sealed some - and yes, I stabbed the end of the packaging before sealing it.

I just ordered a pack of bag rolls from China with 5x5m rolls of 28cm coming in at less than £17.35 - less than 70p per meter.

For dry goods, I always tend to cut the bags long so they can be re-used and re-sealed. When they get too short, I use them for meat or fish and then generally throw them away.

They're not just good for food. I may have a vacuum packed key secreted somewhere in the garden for emergencies.

I have old 80gb hard drives with my pictures folders on them in each shed they get updated every yearif the house burns down your memories have gone up in smoke ,they are also in the cloud but we know what 'secure' means it means the opposite they more companies insist its safe the more you know it isnt!,it was also called putting all your eggs in one basket!

Edited by chesters1

7 hours ago, Ken L said:

They're not just good for food. I may have a vacuum packed key secreted somewhere in the garden for emergencies.

I do similar with dismembered relatives! ?

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

39 minutes ago, Huge_Vitae said:

I do similar with dismembered relatives! ?

Good call. It was trying to flush them that lead to Dennis Nilsen getting caught.