Ticking noise when waggling rod....

Tigger

One of my hardy marksman supero 11ft avon rods makes a ticking sound when waggled.  However it only makes the sound with the guides facing down as you would normally hold it or if held with the guides facing upright as you would hold a sea rod.  If held with the guides facing sideways the rod is silent when waggled up and down.

So, if the rod is held normally and waggled from side to side there is no sound, if waggled up and down the annoying ticking noise can be heard.

The rod is two piece and the noise is coming from the top section.  It makes the noise when holding just the top section when detatched from the lower section.  

I've pushed a piece of one of the thin plastic covered core sections from a length of lighting cable down the blank to see of it catches on anything and the inner blank seems clear.

If the noise is coming from one of the guides I can't find which one it is.  When you listen to it ticking the sound can't be pinpointed to a particular guide or guides, no matter how much I listen with my ear next to each guide lol.

There is no visible cracks in the varnish on any of the guides or anywhere on the blank.

I've held each of the guide inserts in turn as i've waggled the rod but no joy, it still ticks.

I've held/pressed my thumb against the varnish and whipping on each guides foot and waggled the rod, but the ticking still persists.

I've bent the rod salarmingly to test it's integrity and it seems fine.

I would very much like to know what is making the ticking sound !

Has anyone got any ideas?

I bought a Shakespeare President 13' Match 40 odd years ago which had the same issue - it was from a catalogue so I returned it unused & was replaced straight away.

Here's a couple of Links with some plausible reasons?? 

https://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/index.php?threads/ticking-cracking-tapping-sound-on-a-rod-when-waggled.211644/

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/new-custom-rod-making-clicking-noise.78974/

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

That’s strange Ian and it seems that your not the only one that’s experienced the same symptoms on their two piece Hardy Supero Avon rod:

See ‘TrailBlazer’s post #8 from the first link that Martin put up

.The section still makes the noise but only when the guides are pointing down as when it is under normal fishing conditions or turned upside down with the guides pointing straight upwards.
If the rod is waggled side to side, or held sideways and waggled up and down there is no sound.....very strange. 

Hope you find out what it is Ian.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Tigger,

That has a name, I believe it is called "rod knock".  If memory serves me the problem is in the taper on the male end of the ferrule. It does not closely match the internal taper of the female end. How old is the rod? Good rods usually have a lifetime warranty against this problem. I believe, somewhere in the 70's - 80's I was told there is NO fix.

Phone

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phone said:

Tigger,

That has a name, I believe it is called "rod knock".  If memory serves me the problem is in the taper on the male end of the ferrule. It does not closely match the internal taper of the female end. How old is the rod? Good rods usually have a lifetime warranty against this problem. I believe, somewhere in the 70's - 80's I was told there is NO fix.

Phone

Taper bores are what I did for a living - only perfect will do in most cases!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Thanks Martin, the first of your links was my thread.  Trailblazer was me :).

Keith, i've not heard of anyone else having this scenario with their hardy rod, except Trailblazer (who is I) lol.

Phone, the ticking is on the top section when seperated from the lower section, there's no movement or sound from the spigot when fixed together.

I realy am puzzled by it.  

If it was the actual blank then i'm quite sure it would have long since snapped.  I can only put it down to one or more of the guides, maybe the foot moving slightly when waggled vertically....I just don't know.

Edited by Tigger

1 hour ago, *Ant* said:

That would drive me nuts! If you find out what's causing it please let us know. 

I'm glad someone realises how frusterating it is!

Ant, if I do ever get to the bottom of it I will deffo let you know.

I've fiddled about with it again today and just can't see where the tap/tick is coming from.  You would think it would be dead easy to hear or feel where it was coming from, but it really isn't!

I think it has to be one or more of the guides.  None of them move si it might be the rod tapping on one of them as it flexes?   Only other thing it could be is a liner moving but I can't find any that move.....very strange.

As I said, it isn't noticeable in use, just when fiddling with it.