Ticking noise when waggling rod....

Tigger

Perhaps its the ceramic liner in the ring?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Tigger,

Don't be so hardheaded. call Hardy if you must.

The Fishing Rod: Parts & Terms | Fishingnoob.com

the female ferrell will sound just like a cricket.

Martin can tell you the tolerances I bet. I know they are in some outrageous small numbers (maybe 1/64).

You might want to call Hardy anyway or ask a rod builder which Ferrell Hardy uses 

Phone 

7 hours ago, Phone said:

Tigger,

Martin can tell you the tolerances I bet. I know they are in some outrageous small numbers (maybe 1/64).

You might want to call Hardy anyway or ask a rod builder which Ferrell Hardy uses 

Phone 

Phone, it's deff'o not the ferrule because when I seperate the two sections and waggle the top section the noise comes from that.  I can only think it must have something to do with the guides and whipping.  Maybe it's something to do with the varnish/ apoxy around the guies.....I just don't know.

At the end of the day it must be something very simple as there's hardly ewt to it, just a length of rolled carbon, guides, whipping, and varnish....me yeds in a shed with it ?

If you can fill the blank with water try it then it maybe just a bit of plastic rattling inside

And yes despite the costs rods are just plastic reinforced with carbon or other weaves ,still waiting for silk reinforcing

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

7 hours ago, Phone said:

Tigger,

Phone 

It will be Next to Nothing!! certainly within 0.0004" or better over the length of taper. That's Four tenths of a Thou', or 0.01mm (ten microns).

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

11 hours ago, Tigger said:

I have, still no joy :(.

You could check the Taper fit by drawing lines along the Male ferrule with a softish graphite pencil. Insert it in the female & twist it round, Pull it out & look to see if it's smeared/smudged.

Don't ram it in!! Just put it in as you would when fishing.

If it's smeared all the way down then the taper is good (where it isn't smeared is where the taper is out) 

Shining a torch down the bore should also show the Graphite Transferred.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

It's the top section when no fixed to the lower one that makes the noise Martin.

When the two sections are put together the spigot/joint is perfect.  Obviously the ticking is still there but only from the top section as when the two sections are appart.

Tigger,

GOOGLE "rod knock" in the ferrule of a two piece "fishing" rod  

CURIOUS does the top section contain the female section or does the top section slip into the butt end?

It is rod knock and it is obviously in the top section. The "fix" is to send it back no matter the age.

Phone

1 hour ago, Phone said:

Tigger,

GOOGLE "rod knock" in the ferrule of a two piece "fishing" rod  

CURIOUS does the top section contain the female section or does the top section slip into the butt end?

It is rod knock and it is obviously in the top section. The "fix" is to send it back no matter the age.

Phone

Phone, the top section is the female.....just a hollow taperd tube with guides  attatched.

The bottom section has the spigot.  It's 100% not the spigot.