Near or far

Ken L

Makes one wonder why the Splash of a feeder is a Dinner Bell at some venues but spooks them on others so respond better to the Pole??

Is it to do with stock levels & first up - best dressed (Fed)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

On 5/2/2020 at 12:28 PM, Martin56 said:

I now very often cast the Method feeder onto the actual bank down the edge, then tweak it into the water just inches from the bank.

It's a method I adopted by accident from a few mis casts. :fishing:

I hardly ever fish the middle, but I also fish as hard up to the far bank as I dare which of course is another margin.

Just don't fall for the old, "Thermos in one hand & sandwich in the other trick" !!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Very different to the canals hereabouts then. Local canals are only about 8m wide, have vertical walls dropping down between 50 and 100cm, with a central trough and boat traffic usually keeps them coloured to some degree. When they drop clear in the winter, the fish are looking for shade and often, that means that they are hard against the inside bank - they're there in summer too but with a little colour on the water, you can't see them.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I much prefer fishing close in than at a distance, for several reasons. The bite detection is usually more sensitive, it's easier to bait up accurately, you can usually use simpler rigs, and I believe that fish tend to follow margins, for cover and food. This is more obvious when the river is up, and/or coloured. 

Many years ago, I was introduced to a 'friend of a friend' who regularly fished the River Nidd, the smallest of Yorkshires main rivers. I thought he was mad, when I first saw him fishing with his float actually on the bank! He would fish with a small float set at10 or 12ft, in a swim only 2 or 3 ft deep. He would cast slightly downstream, then let the bait swing into the bank, and lay the float on top of either the bank, or sometimes the bankside weed. Gentle feeding down the line, would bring the fish upstream, and the float would just slide into the water to show a bite. There was little if any resistance, that there would be if legering with a quiver tip, and no disturbance caused by a float trotting through. I adapted the method to suit different swims, both moving and stillwater, and it won me a few matches, where others fished at a distance. It accounted for roach, chub, barbel, dace, bream, tench and especially perch, as they foraged up and down the bank. 

I can see Keiths point about bankside disturbance though. I brings a pleasure session on the R Wharfe at Easdyke to mind. I was fishing a sandbed swim, that had a drop off from a few inches, to 3ft, about 6ft from the bank, using the method with the float laying flat close to the bank. I'd had three barbel to 6lb plus, (big for the time), when a mate of mine decided to visit me. Instead of walking to above me and approaching from behind, he decided to take a short cut past where my float was. The big cloud of silt/sand that arose from my swim told it's own story, and that mate was very nearly sent in to investigate the damage that he'd done. It took me a couple of hours to get the fish back and feeding again, I was not a happy bunny!

John. 

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

On 5/3/2020 at 8:57 PM, Ken L said:

But it doesn't have to be the far bank..

Of course you are quite correct Ken. I sometimes used to set a rod up, engage the freespool on my reel and walk the baited hook down the towpath about 20yrds or so and just drop it in next to my feet. It's not something I tended to do until after dark when all was quiet and still, i'd just scatter a few free offerings in every now and again before giving it a go. 

• Like 1

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

ALL

Near or far - is a relative question. FAR is about 30 meters and even then I feel like I'm fishing over the top of my quarry.

What astounded me most the first time in England was that "groundbait" was a routine part of the process. When fishing a commercial lake in the US I used a "packbait" as does everyone in the pot (gambling). "Paylakes" are the equal of dirty overstocked Puddles in the UK

Phone

16 minutes ago, Phone said:

ALL

Near or far - is a relative question. FAR is about 30 meters and even then I feel like I'm fishing over the top of my quarry.

What astounded me most the first time in England was that "groundbait" was a routine part of the process. When fishing a commercial lake in the US I used a "packbait" as does everyone in the pot (gambling). "Paylakes" are the equal of dirty overstocked Puddles in the UK

Phone

That reminded me of a quote that may have came from yourself Phone, or maybe Newt. 

"A hundred years is a long long time in the US but not in the UK, but a hundred miles is a long long way in the UK but not in the US"

*or something along those lines. 

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

If i drove a 100 miles i would have a weeks holiday before returning ,my sister is the opposite, she drives as its part of her job ,loves it and is very good at it.

I dont like driving cars (i dont mind scooters) and dont have a car but i can see the benefits but i only went out once a week as the norm but popped out other times as necessity .Now its a 800 yard walk to the bus stop hoping one comes ! It does save money though lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

On 5/2/2020 at 11:36 AM, chesters1 said:

Carp especially are not stupid they follow the ducks when the ducks see an angler packing up they want the bait chucked in, the carp follow as seen in this documentary

I have always if possible fished infront of the swim next door ,the carp will venture in when it gets quiet

Chesters, that is the most amazing video! Do you know where it was filmed? They don't look like UK carp, some more like skimmers?

john clarke