Near or far

Ken L

All,

This is a discussion I'm very experienced in. The outcome is as always, I CANNOT WIN!!

• Thill Lindy Pro Series Slip-Bobber Rig Kit

Thill Lindy Pro Series Slip-Bobber Rig Kit

I'm sure there are just TWO floats and bobbers. ONE is fixed the other is  slip.

Phone

• Haha 1

At least its not these! But i have used these with some success strangely i couldn't write underneath the ghastly red things so the images are backwards! Ghastly yours, bubble ok .i used to use them in various states of flotation (you can fill them with water Mr Bush) to cast crusts into lillies for carp having two holes they are slip and fixed lol

We have balloon shaped ones aswell with red tops very göod as indicators for free lined deadbaits etc i even see we have coloured ones now !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/three-medium-clear-bubble-floats/dp/B01JIS18FK?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_5

E61uq5REy7JL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

If I fish in amongst marginal lilly pads (I haven't done for years now) I don't use a float at all.  I  used a very small piece of peacock attatched via a rubber (if it gets caught on a plant it just pulls off easily) and used it to rest on the pads and suspend the bait at the desired depth.  Very often I have my bait literally hanging against the lip of the lilly, still half out the water!

Watching the bit of quill shoot off the pads is great.  I have used a split shot or two instead of the quill but sometimes the shot isn't quite so visible as the bit of quill.

I'm sure you could use coloured float stops etc instead of the quill or shot.

I also use tackle suitable for extracting the fish....stout enough so as not to allow the fish to take line and get snagged on the lillies.

• Like 2

The lillies i use the floats in were about 25 yards and more out .

The crus was less than a foot from the float so rarely hung down more than 6" when it eventually sank .

Cant ever remember getting snagged as the float tended to skip over the surface when retrieved .

For close up tench fishing i loved my hinged quills ,the tip started making ripples when the bait was mouthed then rose up and glided off ,brilliant!

An angler down the pond when bites were rare on hot days had a round bit of expanded foam about the size of a table tennis ball with a wire frame feeder stuck end on into it .he had the hook dangling about 6" below it and filled the feeder with groundbait with a bit of corn or bread on the hook and chucked it in ,boy he had some big rudd for such a crude method .

I think a lot of people get fixated about precision and small and foget crude and big have a place aswell but i wouldnt use a footlong zoomer (old name there lol) in 6 " of water so there are still boundaries

The hinged floats were just my copies of relatively expensive over the counter ones a 2" quill painted red connected to a 4" quill with a ring either end you just let the top float sit lying flat on the water .No doubt more surface tension on the float and more effort to pull it under but for finicky fish you could take a chance and strike before the float was vertical

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Last year, I had a good double figure barbel (no scales with me but it was closer to 15lb than 12) from the Avon at Fladbury and that was taken (on a feeder this time) right down the side.

I was fishing with my dad (who has never landed a barbel over 8lb in 50 years of fishing) and he has had a few things to say about crude tactics and braid hook-links before now but I pointed out that there's nothing "sporting" about leaving hooks in fish and showed him the two additional hooks that I had removed from the fish's mouth.

Earlier that day, after three hours without a tap, I'd spotted what could very well have been that fish feeding in the cabbages in front of me - a foot from the bank and in 9 inches of water and had set up one rod with a bobber and dropped a lump of meat into a hole in the weeds less than 3 feet out and bought the feeder in hard against the edge of the weeds on the inside line. I caught more fish on the float but alas, they were all eels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

3 hours ago, Phone said:

Ken,

Has always been a problem. I have resolved the issue - just personally - "they are after all, JUST FISH

Phone

True. Treat them with respect, handle them properly, look after their environment etc, but no names and no silly emotional attachments.

You should see the looks I get fishing for barbel on the middle Severn with an 8 foot baitcasting rod and a multiplier....

I have plenty of fixed spool outfits that will do the same job but I do love the indignant reaction and demands to see my licence from some sections of the community.

• Haha 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

11 hours ago, Ken L said:

True. Treat them with respect, handle them properly, look after their environment etc, but no names and no silly emotional attachments.

You should see the looks I get fishing for barbel on the middle Severn with an 8 foot baitcasting rod and a multiplier....

I have plenty of fixed spool outfits that will do the same job but I do love the indignant reaction and demands to see my licence from some sections of the community.

I regularly used to use my tiny Abu Record 2100 multiplier together with a split cane Avon rod on the river Kennet fishing for Chub a back in the late 70s and I also tried using this tiny multiplier for long Trotting after reading Dave Stuart’s book on Roach (from the Osprey Angling library of books) where he says he occasionally used this multiplier for trotting for Roach just for fun; and it was good at both trotting and for casting a light link leger.

Other-Trotting-Reels600x450.png

NB: Above is a picture of my closed face reel and small multiplier from one of my articles on long trotting with a Centrepin that I wrote several years ago which is why it has the large text below it.

I do quite a lot of long trotting and quite a lot of trundling amongst beds of steamer weed and close in along the near and the far banks using a Centrepin reel catching Barbel Chub Roach and Dace and also the very occasional Carp, and using my fixed spool reel with a small link leger once the light starts to fade.

I also occasionally use my Abu 506 closed face reel if I’m trotting for Chub, Roach and Dace on a gusty day although I wouldn’t choose to use this small Abu 506 closed face reel for larger fish like Barbel.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Ken,

Somehow I can see the glee you have when you are baiting anglers  "but I do love the indignant reaction"

In favoUr of angling in general in my final period of frequent sessions I believe I noticed fewer and fewer "holier than thou instructors". But you can usually spot them from a country mile.

BoldBear,

Why some anglers limit themselves to a strict "politically correct" approach is beyond me?  The protocol for respecting the sport and it's environment is unquestioned - but so is having a good time. Not exactly sure how or why we all sort of fell in line in the 1970's era of monkey see, monkey do.

Phone

Anythings goes happens but on rare occasions or bailiffs wouldnt be needed at all here but most fish are owned so rules apply by the owners and the rest strangely who insist the fish are not owned but strangely appear to belong to them (the EA) and they impose rules aswell,  overthere most are not i suppose as we see with bow fishing ,that could never happen here for many reasons despite it looking great fun but only for fish for the pot ofcourse!

We are a small country with finite places to fish so we have to covet them and the more they get caught some get harder to catch ,america is big ,probably most fish will never see an angler never mind get wary of them

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1