Near or far

Ken L

Ken,

He is now in Southern California. SAME reels - he was helping me out.  I'll call him, if he wants them they are his. To bad Chesters1.

You can find the same or similar post on Southern Paylaker

Phone

(Kudos - nice catch Ken - dead give away - I can't do pictures yet)

Edited by Phone

3 hours ago, Phone said:

Ken,

He is now in Southern California. SAME reels - he was helping me out.  I'll call him, if he wants them they are his. To bad Chesters1.

Phone

The make and series of the Quantum reel are visible so I thought I'd look for a better picture or schematic when a very familiar looking image popped up.

Nothing clever - and 5 year olds can beat me at "Snap".

Oh and I used to own a 440A. A god-awful reel with a completely unreliable dab bail - despite the line constantly bedding in, an ABU 506 was a much better reel for trotting.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

4 hours ago, Phone said:

Ken,

Phone

No problem Mr Bush the Dab bails were interesting but flawed even new about the only version worth keeping is the 800 series and thats to put on a shelf not use!

The other one is the usual over engineered for no reason reel designed to catch the angler not fish ,i can see why these reels came about in history (like the felton crosswind etc) but see no place for it today ,why change what works? Even the finger pick up was a design that occasjonally re appears why ? I have a couple they were used once then retired its a pointless feature

Mitchel had a flurry of The Dab bail models i even had one called the lightening cast but changing names didnt change the fact it was only ever good on a windless day and brand new once they got a bit of play in them they fired off for no reason and some refused to play the game completely losing fish when the bail opened or didnt close. History is full of failed prototypes i just wish bad humans went in landfill when they acted up but unfortunately they are allowed to pass their flaws on lol

Talking of FPU has anyone seen them in post 50's freshwater reels i have 2 but both are sea reels

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

On 5/25/2020 at 7:20 AM, chesters1 said:

It does! i use it every trip

Well not the centerpin i cannot abide them

I hate baked beans but Millions of others can't be wrong.

It's all down to taste!!

I can't do with line coming off the bottom!! but that's maybe a Northern thing??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I remember taking a 4lb hammer to mine in 1960 ,best thing i have ever done lol

If things were good why were better things invented ,i have a few they live in cardboard boxes !

Why dont you see center pins sea fishing ,Alvey are not the go to reel today like they were in days gone past ,i really cannot see why multipliers are used they may cast a long way but i like to reel in a lot faster than they can .

Fixed spools are the top of the pile but some like me like to be different ,you play with your centerpin i like my closed face ,we both choose to be different

The difference is do we choose to use our choice because we like them or like to be seen using them ?

Not implying in your case but all hobbies are full of snobs and tarts who love to feel superior and looking down their noses at others because they dont act or dress or use things they do .

If you enjoy using obselete tackle join my club i have been dong it since the 70's but i reservedly refuse to go back to the 50s lol

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

20 minutes ago, chesters1 said:

I remember taking a 4lb hammer to mine in 1960 ,best thing i have ever done lol

If things were good why were better things invented ,i have a few they live in cardboard boxes !

May be better to agree to disagree bud'. I'm not falling out over reels!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Haha 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

2 minutes ago, Martin56 said:

I hate baked beans but Millions of others can't be wrong.

It's all down to taste!!

Centrepins arn't to everyones taste, but the biggest reason (imo) for this is that most people arn't proficient at using them and loose interest.  Many people, even those that actually have a centrepin reel don't realise how effective they can be once you get the hang of using them.

Sadly, Alan Roe (a former moderator on AN) never appears to come on here nowadays but he was very helpful to me and he even went to the trouble of coming meeting me (which I will always be grateful for) and showing me his style of the wallise cast which then set me up to on to enjoy using a centrepin on both running and still waters.

Imo,  a centrepin reel gives the best results when trotting a top and bottom float.  For a waggler float which is fixed bottom only then a fixed spool or closed faced reel would be my reel of choice.

At the end of the day you use what you prefer and I think the majority of people prefer a fixed spool.

• Like 2

I only ever use top and bottom i am not into these modern bottom only floats that go under at the slightest excuse once the line is tight.

I tried zoomers once but didnt like them so on went the float caps to turn them into normal floats.

Having fished in the late 50's early 60' s and only owning center pins i knew how to get the best out of them but an uncle giving me his old fixed spool soon showed me the best wasnt the best possible!

Bought many what you may called "top end" fixed spools and centerpins of that area and tried them all but they are flawed ,perhaps a centerpin with gears similar to a gear fly reel but with selectable if the gears are engaged would be better so you could retrieve it faster would make me happy but then it would have to be a pillar or turncast reel so it could cast further would make it better ,wait isnt that a fixed spool reel!

If i tried using the worlds finest centerpin where i fish with elbow to ear high bramble infested banks with shallow twisty bends full of streamer weed the reel would end up on the other bank it certainly wouldnt be coming home!

You could wallis cast to your hearts desire and only catch himalayan balsam lol

I fish most of it by poking out a 14ft rod and letting the float provide the resistance tagainst the water to let the bait go down stream ,i control it with one finger and its that finger thats the indicator of a bite i cannot even see the float unless i am looking directly downstream from the bank .the other times once the vegetation is dead i use a 6ft spinning rod and the same fixed spool to thin out the trout that turn fishing into a pointless task when they are newly stocked

I have never understood why a few wealthy anglers can spoil hundreds of yards of water they dont own nor can use by introducing fish no-one else want that eat the fish they do then the fricking EA come along and remove the good fish to big for the trout to eat but put back the trout!

Edited by chesters1

I'm not trying to teach my granny to suck eggs here, but....Chesters, your wrong bud.

If fishing a parrot cage swims as you describe, you simply cast straight out (rod pointing forward, or at any angle) and wally your float/ lead, whatever out.  You don't have to cast from the side, or from the back to wally cast.  Infact, casting with a centrepin is easier and more accurate up to around 30 or so yards out than of using a fixed spool reel.

Alan showed me how to perform the cast needed for a constricted swim also.

Just for reference, I very often fish in seriously overgrown swims and very often on smaller rivers where wading is completely impossible and I can only fish from the bank.

These are examples of very overgrown spots where taking a picture was very difficult and everything was perched precariously...

2019-06-19-14-48-46.jpg

received-1861275957525079.jpg

received-1861275850858423.jpg

oct-17-dace-2.jpg

oct-14-little.jpg

Edited by Tigger
Put two of the same picture up
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its not the casting but trying not to get the foilage tangled in the reel ,even a fixed spool gets tangled and my close face justs makes it!

I am in a field with 3 feet of eye height weeds between me and the river ,i could just batter all the undergrowth down but then because the river is so thin 10-12 feet wide if its a pool 4ft if theres overhanging weeds both sides it spooks the fish away because i am against the sun and a big chap so blocking out a lot of sun ! If there was cows in the field no problem they would demolish everything and drive the fish off! But to any remaining hard fish i am just a harmless cow!

I lift the rod over the top hopefully bring it down between the weeds then drop the float and bait (no weights just a float) into the water letting the line constantly slide over my finger ,i may not even be able to see the water most places as its 3 feet below me ,if i feel the line twitch its a bite (mostly) i then play the fish up to me and poke a net under it (the nets pole lowered like the rod and the net net sits on the bottom after striking

Theres no monsters anything over 1lb most probably a trout so expendable ! The owner likes this barrier on his bank it stops his kids accidentaly falling in so doesnt encourage the grass cutting chap to mow it.

In the winter its a different ball game all thats left is brambles so i can press up against them and spin up the stream but as theres few straight bits its just flicking the spinner sideways hopeing it doesnt catch the bank and reeling in .

I can see your method works by your pictures but my bit of the Wey isnt going to be suitable i could see me using a centerpin trotting downstream On some 100 yard 20ft wide trot but where i fish you cannot even trot 30ft if your lucky lol

When it comes to fishing ponds i am afraid the advantage of a centerpin is non existant in my eyes so i use the closed face

Edited by chesters1