Near or far

Ken L

I thoroughly love using a centrepin for trotting on the small streams and rivers that I fish, but not in all swims; some of the swims are too full of streamer weed and cabbages to allow me to trot very far. Plus the smaller streams that I fish have a lot of bends and overhanging branches which can make trotting a float a very precarious pastime in some cases.

But the centrepin when in the hands of someone who really enjoys using it and who knows how to get the best out of using one is a tool that a lot of people just ignore; to their detriment in my view; however everyone is different and there’s nothing wrong in that at all, each to their own.

I also enjoy using a centrepin when I’m fishing the lift method after Tench not only because I like the feel of a fighting Tench on my pin but also because the pin comes into its own and out performs one of my fixed spool reels when I’m delicately tightening up to a float which is setup to fish the lift bite.

I much prefer to use a fixed spool reel when I’m fishing the link leger on my streams and rivers in tight swims and once the light starts to fade and at night. I also use my fixed spool reels on stillwaters (except when after Tench using the lift method) and the only time I ever use my closed face reel is if I’m float fishing at fairly close ranges on very gusty days.

I used to regularly use my Mitchell Match when I used to do a lot of Match fishing and I felt the dab bailarm was a treat to use and allowed me to cast a lot faster and easier when I needed to get my float out again fast..

So it’s horses for courses for me,  we all have our different likes and dislikes and different views, wouldn’t it be boring if everyone always thought the same.

As for floats; Perhaps if one spent a couple of days with a master like Ivan Marks or Billy lane or Keith Speer you would learn to appreciate the different types of floats out there and could take advantage of using different types of waggler or top and bottom floats, both types of which I would be totally lost without. But then again if you are happy with just using the same type float all of the time on both still and moving water then there’s nothing wrong in that either even though that’s not my ideal.?

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 4

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Gott'a admit I nearly always use a top and bottom fixed float  usually an avon bolo in various sizes, but mostly 3, 4 and 5 gramers. Obvious reason for that is because I mostly fish running water and usually use a pin.

I have used a waggler and attatched it via rubbers top and bottom wich miraculously transforms it into a stick float :).

• Like 1

If I were fishing very close up virtually under my rod tip on a Stillwater then I don’t think the type of float that I would be using would be that relevant other than it needing to be fairly small. ?

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I use a 4" quill as its less likely to break how i use it ,its crude method and in essence the float just provides momentum to the bait 6" under it ,no weights so the float just gets pushed along in the current .not sure a centerpin would even start turning its so light dropping 6 or 7 feet straight down before it hit the water

Its ringed both ends with a half turn locking it in position ,lots of streamer weed so its best the bait bounces over it than try and trundle it along the bottom when you cannot actually see it never mind try and control it

Another method is even cruder i just poke the rod out with a chunk of bread and let it go for a few seconds and cross my fingers ,the bites though are hard and unmistakable!

Its probably why i get so many trout they are suckers for bread but theres nice perch and chub lying about if i dont spook them

My favourite hole is now unusable a little tree has fallen in at the start of it and a big big bramble stops me dropping directly into it ,next bit of heavy rain it should be gone

The only bit of the mile or so i have scattered about the village i can fish traditionaly is being lost mandy the owner is selling the field ,its a brilliant spot at the confluence of the north and south wey ,haven for poxy trout though!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Might be worth you using a piece of peacock quill fixed either end via a rubber?

I've freelined exactly the same chesters, I found fly line to be a good indicator of a bite being easier to see than normal mono.

Also floated a lump of bread and peered round the undergrowth watching for it to be engulfed.

I found on a couple of trips the band breaking so whipping on another ring a 2 minute job and just as quick to use .

Talking of crude but good i watched a chatty to the point of annoyance angler use a golf ball sized bit of polystyrene with a wire feeder jammed end wise into it the hook dangled down about 6 inches below it .

Chatty guy baited the hook with a big bit of bread and stuffed the feeder with groundbait and lobbed it in (on those hot days when bites are not there!) The 'float' bobbed about and moved here and there and suddenly shot under the water ,,chap played the fish and it was a 1lb plus rudd every time ,obviously it saw the tiddlers knocking the groundbait out and noticed the bait and grabbed it before they spotted it .

Bread is a vastly overlooked bait not much refuses it especially in hot weather

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson