Have we all gone a bit soft compared to yesterday’s Angler?

BoldBear

After reading another post on here I thought I’d ask a question:

You should see the food that Ive occasionally eaten when I’m out fishing. 

Ive eaten food after handling maggots several times; and handling lug worm and garden worms and slugs and other things like that and not felt ill.

I think I might have built up a resistance over the years as (so far) I haven’t suffered any ill affects, or I may have just been lucky.

And I remember when I was a lad; I accidentally ate some maggots when I had blindly placed a ham sandwich on the grass next to me after my float went under; I thought the sandwich was a bit gristly and after swallowing a few bites I noticed that my maggots had been spilt onto the grass and had crawled inside my sandwich. I wasn’t very happy about it and I started gagging a bit but I didn’t feel I’ll or anything.

It is a well known fact that  some anglers up in the midlands and the north used to place maggots under their tongues on a cold day to keep them wriggling.

Perhaps we are a little too careful and paranoid these days, and some people these days don’t seem to have the same resistance to germs and viruses that we used to have; because of this? What do others think, are we a bunch of pansies today?

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Haha 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I've always thought that kids these days should get some muck under their nails (& even eat bogies)

It builds resistance in later life IMHO.

We've all done it!!

• Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Not only resistance kids are getting so sheltered they dont mix with adults outside the family so cannot judge the difference to what they say and what they mean .

I found out what kiddy fiddlers were by experience in the 50's lol now they do it from the comfort of their homes then get into trouble!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

May have wandered a bit off track there Dave??

We were talking about getting down & dirty - but not like that!!

Playing with Gas Tar on cobbled streets, poking earwigs from fence holes, making dens & starting grass fires!!

I used to go home smelling like Joan of Arc more times than enough!! I was about 7.

Edited by Martin56

I've always instilled with my kids & grandkids that if a stranger offers you sweeties - Get some for me!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I remember as kids my brother putting maggots in his mouth to warm them up and make them wriggle. We jumped him and poked and tickled him to make him swallow them. :D He only did it the once. 

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

14 hours ago, *Ant* said:

I remember as kids my brother putting maggots in his mouth to warm them up and make them wriggle. We jumped him and poked and tickled him to make him swallow them. :D He only did it the once. 

Some men will take anything in their mouth.

• Haha 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It was how it was done at the time ,if you braved ice in your rings you needed maggots in your mouth lol

I went on a club trip to a maggot farm in the 60's eye watering smell and disturbing seeing parts of animals moving by themselves !must be like a modern meat processing plant i guess.

Amusingly they all were given names! Maggot! Call one they all came

Once they came out of the shed they were very clean ,most probably the opposite of modern meat processing plants when theres no inspection going on

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

1 hour ago, chesters1 said:

It was how it was done at the time ,if you braved ice in your rings you needed maggots in your mouth lol

I went on a club trip to a maggot farm in the 60's eye watering smell and disturbing seeing parts of animals moving by themselves !must be like a modern meat processing plant i guess.

Amusingly they all were given names! Maggot! Call one they all came

Once they came out of the shed they were very clean ,most probably the opposite of modern meat processing plants when theres no inspection going on

You can gob maggots if you like, me not so much.

Tell me something did the mouth warmed maggot keep wriggling once they were in the cold water? Critical thinking is not strong in some.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Maggots in the mouth isn't nice (search for "oral myiasis" if you're brave enough) but it was the chrysoidine used to colour them back in the 70's and early 80's that was more likely to do you serious harm and it was common to see anglers eating their lunch with bright orange hands.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.