Have we all gone a bit soft compared to yesterday’s Angler?

BoldBear

BS where do you get the idea fresh water is below freezing ? I think in the south pole theres a lake that is but its under great pressure so different to usual.Freshwater in the uk is not freezing air temperatures are colder than water ,if you have some idea its not warm even if the surface is frozen whats ice fishing about? Maggots get warmed in your mouth and wriggle more in the water because its warmer than in the air . perhaps not for long but enough to catch fish if the movement is spotted.

Perhaps you should try it ,at least when your mouth is full you wont be mouthing off ! I think having seen the videos maggots are probably cleaner than some food bought from dodgy sellers so i have no problem popping them in my mouth ,perhaps your mouth is full of ****s ?

If lakes were the same temperature as the air they would freeze from the bottom up and rarely thaw .just because it differs from your view does not make it wrong as we have seen in the past!

Are we going to get the straw man cop out ,you know where you dont have to provide anything different to counter a post? Its a straw !man no need to explain why you think its wrong

PS why do you think some people call mayflies maggots ice crawlers ? Because they can hatch at 3 degrees and come out and walk on ice ,if water was so cold maggots didnt wriggle how could they do that? Yes they are more used to it but our mouth warmed maggot isnt going to stop wriggling the second it hits the water is it? It will continue to wriggle until it gets cold and that will happen far slower than in the cold air above the ice where they lie inert in their box

Have you ever actualy tried or are you just mouthing off for the sake of it like our whitby chum,its strange we never hear of your fishing escapades ,,it is primarily a fishing forum even more evidence your related to our whitby chum

PPS the lake is lake vostock i think I caught out Newt several years ago as its liquid at minus figures

Would you like to answer in french? ,that will show how clever you are !poor poor cavilling cory

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

8 hours ago, chesters1 said:

BS where do you get the idea fresh water is below freezing

Where did I say that it was? You are a blethering half wit.

Mayfly don't have maggots. They have nymphs. They look like this.

image.jpeg.de55dc7d0b4d6ae249019b5e16869dae.jpeg

YOU are the one making the claims. YOU bear the burden of proof, and no I have not tried it. I have not drowned a maggot since I was a kid.

Here is my answer in French. Va te faire foutre!

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Perhaps before dismissing YOU should try it!

As to the mayflies i was using it as an example things (besides fish) can live in cold water not instant stop moving the second the outside temperature goes below zero.

If water isnt warmer than the outside air it would freeze solid whats to prove its seen everytime ice forms on a lake.

Maggots warmed in the mouth wriggle because you warm them up from the temperature they are in where they are unmoving because its cold FACT (they become dormant in cold temperatures thats why you keep them in the fridge and they last longer)

They continue to wriggle in the water Because its not as cold as the air the rest are in FACT

Whats so hard to understand ?

Not sure theres going to be a video on youtube showing maggots wriggling in water with ice on top so there we go and it certainly isnt BS ,just because you dont think it so does not mean its untrue

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

What's so hard to understand is how you think they will keep wriggling once they have been in cold water for a few seconds. If you cannot demonstrate your argument holds water, DON'T make it. The cold makes them df]ormant after all and your fridge is only 4 degrees C. You contradict yourself.

I know one thing. If keeping maggots warm was such a great idea, I could think up much better ways of doing it than keeping them in my gob. All you are doing is proving that some anglers are/were clatty b@stards.

What is so hard about that?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

All,

A general fyi on maggots and fishing water

In maggot debridement therapy, germ-free ("disinfected") larvae of therapeutic fly species ("medical grade maggots") are used to treat and manage wounds in a procedure known as "maggot therapy." The maggots are applied to the wound for 2 or 3 days within special dressings to keep the maggots from migrating. The FDA allows up to 5% maggot content in cherry jam. Maggots in general by species have a chemical assist to delay freezing.

As for water, it’s strange stuff. Fresh water sorts itself out so the coldest water can only be is 39 degrees minimum on the bottom regardless of the air temp. LONG story and probably deserves a thread of it’s own.

PHONE

14 minutes ago, Phone said:

The maggots are applied to the wound for 2 or 3 days within special dressings

PHONE

At first glance I read that wrong and pictured maggots in frocks. :D I guess this lockdown is starting to get to me. 

• Haha 1

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

11 hours ago, corydoras said:

What's so hard to understand is how you think they will keep wriggling once they have been in cold water for a few seconds. If you cannot demonstrate your argument holds water, DON'T make it. The cold makes them df]ormant after all and your fridge is only 4 degrees C. You contradict yourself.

I know one thing. If keeping maggots warm was such a great idea, I could think up much better ways of doing it than keeping them in my gob. All you are doing is proving that some anglers are/were clatty b@stards.

What is so hard about that?

Are you pretending to be stupid or is it natural ,the hint is MOUTH you take the maggots which will be inert because the air is cold and you warm them up so they start wriggling then you put them on the hook ,they dont instantly stop wriggling just as they dont instantly stop wriggling when you put them in the fridge .

They will wriggle until they get cold enough to cease wriggling which will be enough to get the attention from a fish compared to a cold one ,the point you miss is the action of warming them up unless ofcourse you make tiny little vests for yours?

You may not like to put them in your mouth thats your choice ,but experience that appears to be vaster than yours sees maggots still wriggling slightly after 10 minutes in ice covered water compared to one on the ice dropped by accident at the same time ,the ice ON the water means the air is colder than the water so maggots will wriggle longer in it than out of it!

Put a maggot in your fridge it will wriggle for hours until it gets cold it doesnt stop wriggling the second you shut the door!

Edited by chesters1

So I cast in two rods. Same rod, same reel, same line and end tackle. I cast them in within inches of each other. One has a mouthed maggot. One has a maggot out my bag. How much longer will the mouth maggot wriggle? The water temperature is four degrees. C.

Water is a much better conductor of heat than the air in your fridge.

Try this. Stand naked in a walk in fridge at four C. Then immerse yourself in water at four C. See what you can tolerate the longest.

Experience has got bugger all to do with it. Experience is guilty of remembering the hits and forgetting the misses. Got any DATA?

Yes you can try that if you wish but warmed up maggots wriggle longer than ones comatose in the coldness of your bait box

I am not prepared to buy two and walk to your city and wait for them to go to sleep in your fridge then prove it unfortunately