Anglers corner...

Tigger

21 hours ago, Tigger said:

I don't recognise the picture Chesters but I like it !

Its a print of a drawing (or a drawing?) by someone called Carrell ?or Cannell? Of what is page 135 in Pike fishing in the 80's by N Fickling

Someone kindly pointed this out long ago ,i knew i had seen it before but didnt know exactly where

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 4:00 PM, Tigger said:

To be honest, to take a photo i'm happy with the pictures my phone takes, and I nearly always have it with me....just gott'a get a decent fish now!

After saying that, I do have a picture of my first actual weighed double on my float gear.

It was a wierd scenario that day as I kept telling  yself that my tenth fish would be a double, I won't go through the tale again as I told it on here a few years ago when it happened...it is a true tale though and my tenth fish did turn out to be over 10lbs!,

Here's a couple of the fish before I got the tenth one...

sept-27-barbel-5.jpg

sept-27-barbel-6.jpg

And here is the double...

sept-27-barbel-10.jpg

I have thought about having this picture enlarged and framing it since it was my first float caught barbel of over 10lbs.  Only snag is it's tail is coverd with grass and my  float isn't in the pic!

Nice chunky young fish. Mine was a bit of an old warrior and had a very unphotogenic steep angle on the nose. It was so recognisable that I was surprised not to be able to find photos of the same fish on-line.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

This was my second double caught on float gear, daft as it sounds I can't remember WTF it weighed (rather worrying that). Anyhow, it wasn't massive but a decent bit heavier than the first one.

june-24-barbel-fat1.jpg

This one was my third heaviest and I remember it's weight :), it was 13lb 3 or 4 ounces.

2017-06-26-14-54-10.jpg

I got a 13lb 7 ouncer 17 months back but can't find the pic of it.

I have had lots of doubles on the float now but mostly between 10 and 12lb.

This one was 11lb, I had a few around that weight from that same swim last summer...

2019-07-17-13-56-23.jpg

I have a modest pb on the leger also which at 14lb 8 ounces (caught over a decade ago now) is a tiddler compared to the fish being caught in other rivers throughout the country.  Unfortunately the barbel don't seem to get to be really large in my local rivers.  To be honest, I don't mind them not being huge fish as my pleasure is just catching them via the float and match rod.  

Edited by Tigger

The only barbel i have ever caught was in the 60's at iden lock on the medway ,i did have a couple of tries on the FAS water at reading to no avail.

Unfortunately since about 1995 my mrs medical condition means no more outings by myself and although she fishes a river isnt the place for someone who has fits out of the blue (and keeps getting in the way as we have to share the same swim) so the nearest thing to a river now is the Wey at tilford and waverley abbey and i have never seen a barbel never mind caught one on those stretches.

Caught a couple of honestly sick looking ones when attempts were made to put them in lakes but they certainly didnt look (and fight) as spendid as yours do.

Been keeping my eyes on the river here its VERY quiet even the annoying trout seem to have disapeared !

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

TIGGER,

You sure "those from the same swim" are not the same fish? That happens frequently with carp. Guess that's why I love to fish for them, we are well suited and equally stupid

phone

Morning Mr Bush

7 hours ago, chesters1 said:

The only barbel i have ever caught was in the 60's at iden lock on the medway ,i did have a couple of tries on the FAS water at reading to no avail.

Unfortunately since about 1995 my mrs medical condition means no more outings by myself and although she fishes a river isnt the place for someone who has fits out of the blue (and keeps getting in the way as we have to share the same swim) so the nearest thing to a river now is the Wey at tilford and waverley abbey and i have never seen a barbel never mind caught one on those stretches.

Caught a couple of honestly sick looking ones when attempts were made to put them in lakes but they certainly didnt look (and fight) as spendid as yours do.

Been keeping my eyes on the river here its VERY quiet even the annoying trout seem to have disapeared !

Shame that Chesters.

If you ever get an opening your more than welcome to fish up here, i'd do my best to put you on some barbel :).

6 hours ago, Phone said:

TIGGER,

You sure "those from the same swim" are not the same fish? That happens frequently with carp. Guess that's why I love to fish for them, we are well suited and equally stupid

phone

Deff'o different fish Phone, they were quite different when in your hand.  Not that it would stop you catching the same fish again, but they were all caught several miles appart from one another.

I have caught fish twice, infact way back on a few hours out  thread, I did and the pictures of the fish show without a doubt that it is the same fish, so as you say, it does happen :).

Edited by Tigger

19 minutes ago, Tigger said:

Shame that Chesters.

If you ever get an opening your more than welcome to fish up here, i'd do my best to put you on some barbel :).

Most probably the next trip over 10 miles will be in a coffin lol