Can 'vulnerable people' fish?

The Flying Tench

Tench,

VULNERABLE refers to an emotion where an individual feels responsible for some action or inaction that is perceived as having negative results. 

The vulnerable part is expressed as a conditioned emotion. In other words ,some people are conditioned to feel GUILT. Certain factors may make it more likely a person is vulnerable. For example the guilt might include "guidance" from their culture, family, or religious upbringing.

Is it OK to fish? I don't know, is it OK to eat bugs?

Isn't the answer going to be grounded in a cultural context from the contextual perspective of ways to be express human behavioUr and emotion?

From my point of view - it is OK to fish if you leave the surroundings as you found them.  In my case a "fair" playing field for the fish is important. Take what is "fair" for the pot.

You understand in all cultures you can't pick on just old ladies - un-ethical. But morality is locality - do what is socially acceptable

Phone

As you already fish having the vulnerability then its only the chance of catching the virus thats going to stop you .

If you keep away from others ,sanitise your hands after touching anything others could have touched i cant see why not .

I metal detect when i can although its far to dry now i have been out a couple of times after checking with the owner (something to remember) if its ok and am still alive (no doubt to the disapointment of some) .

No guarantee from him upstairs he will look after you?

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You know what the risks are and what sort of activities might increase those risks, so ultimately, it's your decision.

My father and his mates in a fishing club have worked out a system for everything from drawing pegs to weighing in so that nobody comes into contact and they can fish fun matches with the risks minimised to the greatest extent possible. It's not 100% but the guys weighing in are wearing masks and gloves, so its as good as it reasonably can be.

At his fly fishing syndicate, they've locked up the clubhouse and are phoning in the catch reports.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

vulnerable
/ˈvʌln(ə)rəb(ə)l/

adjective
  1. exposed to the possibility of being attacked or harmed, either physically or emotionally.
    "we were in a vulnerable position"

f a person) in need of special care, support, or protection because of age, disability, or risk of abuse or neglect.
    • "the scheme will help charities working with vulnerable adults and young people"
    • BRIDGE
      (of a partnership) liable to higher penalties, either by convention or through having won one game towards a rubber.
      "the authors advise a variable no-trump opening bid which means weak non-vulnerable and strong vulnerable"
Edited by Tigger

On 6/13/2020 at 3:01 PM, The Flying Tench said:

Like a number, I suspect, on AN I am over 70, and I also have a heart issue, so I'm counted as a 'vulnerable person.' How do others interpret the guidance? Is it OK to fish?

Hi.  Like yourself I (and my wife) are classed as 'vulnerable' as we both have differing heart conditions and she is mixed race.  The guidance for fishing is now quite simple.  Yes it is ok to go fishing.  Angling clubs have imposed their own rules in order to open safely to their members, so it would be worth checking with any clubs you may be associated with.  Added rules apply to night fishing for many clubs too.

The Angling Trust have some good information if you have not seen it

https://joinanglingtrust.net/angling-support-hub-phase-one/

Although we are all allowed to go out and fish, we need to abide by rules in place and make sure to look after ourselves and others by keeping to social distancing rules, washing hands, not touching metal gates and railings where possible and being aware of any symptoms.

Guidance

Guidance for the public on the phased return of outdoor sport and recreation in England

Updated 1 June 2020

From 1 June, you can now exercise alone, with members of your household, or with up to, but no more than 5 other people from outside your household while keeping 2 metres apart at all times.If you are classified as extremely vulnerable on health grounds, you are advised to continue shielding to keep yourself safe by staying at home and avoiding gatherings or, if individuals wish to spend time outdoors, to take extra care to minimise contact with others by keeping two metres apart at all times 

Tench,

I took your "vunerable" exactly as you posted. However, with very little research I found the above. Your concerns lead me to my other post.  It stands on its own merit. You had a reason to ask

PHONE

Only just seen this, my wife is on the highly vunerable due to a reduced immune system and other things. I'm on the vunerable. We've been isolating since the beginning of lockdown, however our daughter who's our registered carer has been visiting occasionally also the district nurse. So I guess I can give an honest opinion for you as before I do anything I take medical advice.

During lockdown I was given permission by the Police to travel to my shooting permission for the purpose of crop control, shooting crows, pigeons and other vermin. Doctors agreed it was ok as I was on my own and before I came home completely de sanitised. On entering home, showered dogs, showered myself before touching my wife or anything else. I chose to carry on shooting as permissions are hard to come by and easy to loose, this was discussed with mainly my wife, but also my family, doctor the police and landowners. All my permissions beyond a 15 minute drive where given up. I kept just one. Fishing during this time No, as non essential.

During this period of who knows what's allowed, same as above, but I'm allowed to interact with the farmers as long as I keep the 2m.

Fishing I was told was ok, provided I kept 5 to 10m away from others as I would be sat in the company of others - possibly. If the pegs showed "much use" avoid. If a carp puddle you can spit across avoid. Generally I was told by the Doctor bank/river fishing would be better as more space, (She didn't know it was still closed season when she said this). No contact with bailiffs whatsoever as they are in contact with unknown sources.

Basically that's it and that's what I'm sticking too. I'm also allowed travel with my daughter, her partner, my son and his partner as they all have to  come in contact with me anyway.

I hope that's some help as its advice taken from our local GP in the best interest of keeping my wife safe yet getting fresh air and some limited exercise.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.