phone! clothing related topic

chesters1

Being a fat git i cannot control my trousers as my waist was last seen decades ago this isnt a problem in every day life a quick tug and all fine so long as your not tugging your trousers outside the school!

I find the problem metal detecting  or fishing or gardening and its knee related ,i stand up trousers remain behind! I decided braces wdre the answer but we are not a braces culture our silly things are held on with spring clips which fly off under the slightest stress or very expensive 'city' braces where handsome dudes with beards use them as fashion ..

In chesters1 fashion i fabricated 'real'  braces out of very tough 4mm stainless fittings and loops which go through a belt ,real tough to adjust ,impossible to break but you have to unclip the belt from the !oops to undo them.

Mrk 2 got lighter out went most of the metal work but i had to adjust the 38mm braces clips i found with another bit of strap so they could be fitted to the 50mm strap of the braces

Mrk3 has now been finalised i found 50mm braces clips (you try!) But a problem still remains the buttons are crap are you americans weaklings? I can pull those silly non sew buttons apart just breathing! ,i can pull them straight through fabric (why is the nail head so tiny?) Even if i put leather behind them it just breaks ,how and why the hell do you wear them ?

So now the braces themselves are ready but the problem is now the buttons ,metal shank ones sown to thick leather (or rather a square of leather is sown to the inside of the trousers and the button sewn to that) do last a week but the thread just wears out because the clips rub on them ,the other strange thing is even the supplied non sew buttons just pop out of the clips just bending over  ,the metal shank on buttons i have sourced break ,there must be a cure!

A i lose weight and find my waist

B Americans  are not telling the truth and they pretend to use braces clips

C where are real mens unbreakable buttons found strong enough not to break and big enough (35mm buttons pop out the clips) to not look like clown buttons ,i have spent hours trying to source these things perhaps a yank can solve the problem?

I would ask Newt he looked the braces type but hes disapeared so being our only one the weight falls on your shoulders

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You should get some decent braces from an army surplus store, leather ends for buttons.

Then just stitch some decent buttons on your trousers.

Phone won’t know what you are talking about unless you substitute ‘pants’ for ‘trousers’

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Clothing-Footwear-Workwear-Work-Suspenders/N-5yc1vZcl3e,

https://www.suspenderstore.com/shop-by-style/work-suspenders/

Hugh is right - I had to look up all those strange words.  A brace is used if you had polio.

All through my life I was surrounded by rotund relatives.  The key, according to my mother, a great deal of the problem is in the fact clothes are not made to  FIT the wearer in the first place.  She always shortened the rise, made the legs from the knee down more fitted.

It is really difficult for me to say.  Some of my kin had big waist and skinny legs. One uncle always wore a man's girdle. They are quite popular just now for certain body shapes. Don't overlook the back support devices. The suspenderstore has indestructible buttons

If I can help with suspenders and or belt  or girdle  or any of that stuff, feel free to put me to the task.

(US suspenders)

a pair of straps that hold up a pair of trousers, which are attached to the waist of the trousers and stretch over your shoulders . WHAT do you use to straighten crooked teeth???

Phone

9 hours ago, Huge_Vitae said:

You should get some decent braces from an army surplus store, leather ends for buttons.

Then just stitch some decent buttons on your trousers.

Phone won’t know what you are talking about unless you substitute ‘pants’ for ‘trousers’

My braces are far superior to any on earth its the buttons that are the weak point .

I did have an army greatcoat once with metal buttons that were affixed with a washer and mini 'key ring' type split ring .The button was attached to the coat by putting the shank through a small hole in the fabric the washer had an oval hole in it which went over the shank and the sp!it ring stoped the shank coming back out of the washer.

Pretty well would be perfect but they appear to be rarer than the 50mm overall clips! Cannot source anything any where.

Buttons seem to puny for my god like body the damn things are not strong enough to cope with the stress i can put them under .I had (i pinched the leather for a hinge ) a pair of the army ones they are walking braces not strong enough by far for me ,i pulled apart the stitching where it joins the leather to webbing just pulling them over my shoulder!

I had though as yanks were more advanced in rotundness they had solved the problem i guess Mr Bush isnt the guy to ask !

I will spend many years solving this problem ,why does my life revolve round things only i desire ? Someone else must have come across the problem surely?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ex Army braces are the way to go with buttons on the outside, they don't dig in then. Remember when Grandad had buttons on the outside and the little raised backs of the trousers? I bet you still got some???

Alternatively look at braces in the shooting sections of adverts, ridiculously overpriced and fashionable colours but look like they could tow a tank.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

5 hours ago, Phone said:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Clothing-Footwear-Workwear-Work-Suspenders/N-5yc1vZcl3e,

https://www.suspenderstore.com/shop-by-style/work-suspenders/

Hugh is right - I had to look up all those strange words.  A brace is used if you had polio.

All through my life I was surrounded by rotund relatives.  The key, according to my mother, a great deal of the problem is in the fact clothes are not made to  FIT the wearer in the first place.  She always shortened the rise, made the legs from the knee down more fitted.

It is really difficult for me to say.  Some of my kin had big waist and skinny legs. One uncle always wore a man's girdle. They are quite popular just now for certain body shapes. Don't overlook the back support devices. The suspenderstore has indestructible buttons

If I can help with suspenders and or belt  or girdle  or any of that stuff, feel free to put me to the task.

(US suspenders)

a pair of straps that hold up a pair of trousers, which are attached to the waist of the trousers and stretch over your shoulders . WHAT do you use to straighten crooked teeth???

Phone

The clips on some are interesting but i cannot source anything similar here other than "dog lead" clips which are two types ,the spring ones you push to open under stress and the ones that slide open snap.

But the biggest problem is what they attach to ? I need a secure form of mounting to trousers the only thing that worked is attaching directly to a belt as i said in my opening diatribe but its to bulky and hard to adjust now the butlers left and the cost of 5ft 6" (need room to expand) leather belts prohibitive now saddlers cater for non commercial type drey horses ,those horse riding types get fleeced as theres little competition unlike over there

Tried other belt fabrics but none ride straight like leather webbing just rolls up and make me look like a sack of spuds walking about

Suspenders here are what girls or women wanting something use to hold up stockings ,braces are the same word for your suspenders and teeth straightening devices ,the name is the same we are brits and know by context the difference

Edited by chesters1

7 minutes ago, Cameraman said:

Ex Army braces are the way to go with buttons on the outside, they don't dig in then. Remember when Grandad had buttons on the outside and the little raised backs of the trousers? I bet you still got some???

Alternatively look at braces in the shooting sections of adverts, ridiculously overpriced and fashionable colours but look like they could tow a tank.

Tried them! puny childish things they didn't cope my hefty build ,did try a pair of chainsaw ones but i dont know why people put up with that crap ,so thin so short lived ,same for riggers ones.my mrk3 braces will pull a lorry its the fixing to the trousers thats the next problem.

Car seatbelt webbing is far superior to the thin stuff ,sits well and doesnt cut in ,you can get 50mm elastic braces but they last a week you bin them the tenth time the spring clips pop off your trousers and hit you in the face !

Edited by chesters1

OOh just had a lightbulb moment thinking about the buttons with washers chicago bolts and washers!!!!!

Back in a month!

1 hour ago, Phone said:

Chesters1,

You had me stumped for the moment.  You need to be looking, among others, at sail makers' grommets and rivets.  

https://www.leathersmithdesigns.com/rivets-for-leather/  A SITE

Phone

Thanks ,i will keep them in mind if the chicago bolts i just bought dont work ,they are similar but instead of hitting the head of your rivet to spread it the two halves screw together

https://www.google.com/search?q=chicago+bolts&client=firefox-b-m&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4wNnai8vqAhUGY8AKHYhVA4AQ_AUIBygC&biw=960&bih=425#imgrc=70pMQ4ipNZIfMM

Should work a large washer on the external part to fit in the 'suspenders' loop ,then go through the fabric of the 'pants' then leather then  large washer to stop it pulling back through then leather (the leather is only thin) to stop the internal bits rubbing fat bastards belly!

I always wear 'dedicated' clothes i have 2 pairs of metal detecting 'pants' with knee pads fitted so the bolts will be permanent  .

I have 3 pairs of gardening ones but i may fit a ring to those and see if i can find one of your clip things to experiment with .

I like stuff to be perfect i will go home if something annoying crops up ,i wont even go if i suspect something annoying could crop up ,my life revolves around searching for things that dont exist that may stop me getting annoyed! It took several years to find the 50mm clips !!! I have boxes of webbing fittings that are worse than useless!

I dont like getting annoyed if someone is fishing in the spot i always fish in i go straight home ,lifes to short to wait or get annoyed theres always something else to get annoyed with round the corner lol

I over engineer to the point of madness my 'suspenders' will never fail ,never ever the metal work whats left of it is welded 4mm stainless mountain climbing stuff the webbing as its for car seats (not that crap stuff by the yard ) so it is UV proof and can support many times my bulk ,the 50mm end fittings are metal plastic will break in a few years time (or in minutes!) The sewing all triple with boot thread that should see me out! I dont make the trousers unfortunately but my improvements will outlast them and go in the next pair if i live long enough

Not sure why people  put up with shoddy gear ,you would think as we progress through time and improve things they should last longer but they dont! My sister just bought a new fridge i found out chatting each one has progressively had a shorter life than the last one ,ours is older than the mrs touch wood it should never fail! If it does i will spend the equivilent of a new one getting it repaired but i doubt the motor will last 60+ years like the old one ,progress should make things better ,tougher ,cheaper and more long lived than its predecessor not the opposite!

My obsession gets worse as i get older ,i dont like failing so i improve or make it impossible not to do something ,i have many bags i use for different things (about 10) each one has moist wipes incase its hot all have a days supply of pills and a folding cup incase i am out when i need them (unlike the bloody mrs who constantly forgets!) And each bag has a very small bottle of steralised water in to take them ,its bloody hard work being me !

My last improvement is upgrading my huge shopping trolley (yes i use one i dont care what others think ) those fitted wheels are crap so i fitted the small front wheels from wheelchairs ,real bearings not plastic on metal ,should last for a decade or so unlike the 3 pairs that fall apart in 6 weeks chesters1 does NOT just carry the recomended 12.5kg if i can get it in there i expect it to follow me home!

Edited by chesters1