Craftsmanship At Its Finest !!!

Martin56

Here's a lovely video showing the manufacture of Holland & Holland's Firearms (Double Rifle & Shotguns)

Don't even have to be Interested in shooting to appreciate the love & care that goes into making these things of beauty.

• Thanks 2

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I had some training from lord colemans ancient gamekeeper when i was in my 20's ,he had quite a  few top of the line shotguns including a few purdeys of which he didnt seem that enthralled .I aked him how he got them gamekeeping isnt a well paid job ,it turns out if the shooting is extremely good the very wealthy patrons occasionally just gave him the gun .

He never used them he had a canadian single shot which he loved ,he will be dead now along with his mrs i wonder what happened to them ?

Amazing old and wise guy

As for the vid yes very good and you can see why they cost so much they have a soul

Edited by chesters1
  • Thanks 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

21 hours ago, Martin56 said:

Here's a lovely video showing the manufacture of Holland & Holland's Firearms (Double Rifle & Shotguns)

Don't even have to be Interested in shooting to appreciate the love & care that goes into making these things of beauty.

I'd love one, could never justify the outlay, be more than my house.

20 hours ago, chesters1 said:

He never used them he had a canadian single shot which he loved 

Probably a COOEY, absolutely brilliant little guns. I bought one earlier this year for pennies, to teach my Grandson to shoot. My daughter fell in love with it and everybody that uses it does. I hope I never have to part with it. Think it was about £45 with a 3 month warranty. Its at least a 100 years old.

Winchester bought out COOEY  and produced it in their name as a Model 84.

That of course is if its the same sort of gun 

20200730_191710.jpg

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

I never got the name but it had a martini action ,he also had a 10 bore also canadian with the same action ,he let me have a play he was getting to frail to use it it had a kick!

We used the last few cartridges he had left he wasnt going to use it again.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Have a mate who is a plumber does some work for me, he phoned me in a panic saying a friend of his had bought the contents of a house for clearance under probate, in the back of the understairs cupboard he discovered a pair of engraved shotguns but didn’t have a licence so needed somebody to take them on their licence to the local gun shop to store them as is allowed.

Turned out to be a matching pair of Holland & Holland guns about fifty years old, brilliant find as they were going to make a fair bit of cash.

It was also a very, very lucky day for the owner of such a prized possession, so many years had gone by since they were stolen in a burglary at his house he had given up on ever seeing them again.

I don’t know if he ever did though as his Insurance had paid out on them!

Apparently a lot of such guns are, or used to be, sawn off after stealing, these days criminals prefer AR15’s, Gloch’s or AK57’s I guess!

• Like 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

When someone steals a shotgun to use in a robbery they never even think of its value, just chop it up and steal probably a fraction of its value in cash. That's if its a H&H, or similar.

The thing is nowadays some of the top brands do fetch big money.....and a lot of the well known names like Winchester, Browning and a few others are all made in the same factory in Japan. I have a Miroku MK38 Sporter, identical working parts and action to a Browning, handles the same, fires the same yet was about a third of the price. Apart from the name the only other differences are the engraving on mine doesn't extend as far and my woodwork although highly polished and nice to handle isn't as pretty, think grain of the wood, as a hand polished finished in Belguim Browning.

Again money talks, bull.... the have and the have nots.

There are and always have been really nice guns coming out of Italy, very expensive with pretty wood and posh engraved hunting scenes on the metal.

Bargains these days come not only from Japan but from Turkey where apparently they have an abundance of Walnut trees to use and produce very practical and pretty guns. But not being "big names" they sell for mere coppers compared to guns like Perazzi.

The one below was a recent purchase to use as a rough gun, to me its a practical gun to use, not a show piece or a cabinet saver. The wood work rivals some of the top Italian guns but it has no pretty engraving on the metal. I bought it to use but if it was on a named gun it would have cost at least my house and then I would be scared to use it.

20200731_073755.jpg

If all else fails, follow the intructions.