How to avoid carp?

cursy

Hello,

I recently started fishing again after a long time (about 25 years break).

First thing i noticed - carp. Carp are everywhere these days, a lot of the places i used to fish that were once all about the tench and bream are now dominated by carp... and not small ones either. From watching some YouTube videos even match fishing has become carp focused. 

What happened? Size queens take over? The carp eat all the food and other species died off?

I'm pretty much resigned to having to beef up my line strength, but is there any tactics or baits that avoid the carp and target Bream, Tench and Perch? Seems like those bloated lake cows eat pretty much anything.

Apologies to carp anglers.

Your right about everywhere when i was in my teens whispers were that "A" carp was seen in the military canal and river ones unheard of , no huge pot-bellied things about then carp were lean!

As to avoiding them good luck but my experience shows trying to deliberately catch them and they disappear lol

Remember though if carp are in numbers every bottom feeder will be eating boilies so beef up the tackle a little not big pit reels and pokers a 1.75lb rod will give fun on tench and with patience tame most carp i had a 39 cat on 2lb through action rods so its possible.

Try some 5mm boilies for the tench the carp may miss them but i have had bream on 22mm boilies so its possible if the fish get there before the carp.

Perch are less of a problem but you will find the bream and tench will have benefitted from the bait put in by the bucket load for the carp ,they may be hard to find because food is now so plentiful the competition to grab it has gone and they are sleeping off a big meal

• Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Try the sea!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Canals, rivers, park pools, the lake district, estuaries and harbours.

There are a few lowland lakes that still have native fish but the are hard to finds.

Sad init?

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

9 hours ago, Elton said:

Try the sea!

I think that's probably the only bit of water left in the country that doesn't hold carp to 25lbs+.

At least until they find a way to breed salt water carp, then the beaches can beep to the sound of bite alarms too.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, cursy said:

Hello,

I recently started fishing again after a long time (about 25 years break).

First thing i noticed - carp. Carp are everywhere these days, a lot of the places i used to fish that were once all about the tench and bream are now dominated by carp... and not small ones either. From watching some YouTube videos even match fishing has become carp focused. 

What happened? Size queens take over? The carp eat all the food and other species died off?

I'm pretty much resigned to having to beef up my line strength, but is there any tactics or baits that avoid the carp and target Bream, Tench and Perch? Seems like those bloated lake cows eat pretty much anything.

Apologies to carp anglers.

Welcome back to todays type of fishing. You have to search long and hard to find a water that has natural fish. I find local water authority controlled waters the best. Or look for waters that are/where notoriously hard and folk aren't prepared to put the work in. Failing that "free" fishing if you can find any, as these aren't stocked.

• Like 2
If all else fails, follow the intructions.

This place is a bit of an oasis, away from the Carper Hoardes that think it is the only worthwhile fish to target.

I despair at the demise of our pools that used to litter the countryside, Rudd Tench Roach etc. Nothing wrong with wild carp, the smaller leaner version, but they are rare now, used to be a lake in Wiltshire that hung on to a few, now a DT venue for...carp.

I will concede to, that a Severn carp, or any river carp  is a good adversary, and  in some way reverts back to it's natural form, fight hard too. 

• Like 1