Meat from PoundLand

Martin56

Been out & bought some Meats from "PoundLand" for tomorrow's expedition. (Both, "Fill 'em Up" Brand)

The Bacon Grill is firm & smells very good but I'd maybe steer clear of the Luncheon meat - this is very soft (but usable, down the edge or on Pole??)

I opened both tins just to see & good for £1 for 300 gram tins.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I always found if you sliced or cubed the cheap meat and left it in the sun it went rubbery and stayed on the hook far better than straight from the can ,unfortunately i love the stuff so i eat it and the fish get very little

• Sad 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Lightly fry the cubes in oil mixed with spices of your choice ( Curry powder, Paprika, etc ), drain off on paper towel and leave to cool. If preparing in advance, pop in the freezer and remove to fridge the night before you go. The thawing process draws the flavours in even more and the frying has given it a tougher skin for a better hook/hair hold.

I haven’t needed to do this for many years but If your using soft Luncheonmeat on a hair rig you.can thread a piece of biro tube over the hair so that the hair doesn’t just cut through your meat. You can also do this with some hooks with short sections of biro tube slid over the hook shanks.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

On 9/9/2020 at 2:31 PM, BoldBear said:

I haven’t needed to do this for many years but If your using soft Luncheonmeat on a hair rig you.can thread a piece of biro tube over the hair so that the hair doesn’t just cut through your meat. You can also do this with some hooks with short sections of biro tube slid over the hook shanks.

Keith

I just use grass, or a hawthorn spike.  Even if putting the meat straight onto the hook, just pull the hook through the meat, twist it and put a piece of grass stalk, twig, hawthorn spike or whatever under the bend and pull on the line or press the hook back to synch it up.

• Like 1

Well, the Bacon Grill worked well & got me 5 decent Carp between maybe 6 - 10 Lb. in the Last hour or so (couldn't buy a bite till around half past three but that's how it it at Kippax sometimes.

The Luncheon meat was very poor in quality & texture so I'll just chop the rest up for loose feed (at least it sinks OK)

• Like 2

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

3 hours ago, Tigger said:

I just use grass, or a hawthorn spike.  Even if putting the meat straight onto the hook, just pull the hook through the meat, twist it and put a piece of grass stalk, twig, hawthorn spike or whatever under the bend and pull on the line or press the hook back to synch it up.

That’s exactly what I normally do when mounting meat directly onto the hook Ian, but very occasionally if the luncheon meat is not very firm and I’m needing to cast a fair distance with a largish chunk of meat on a hair rig it can still fly off during the cast if you are not careful.

I carry some of these (see pic in link)for times like these.

https://barbel.co.uk/product/enterprise-meat-mate/

Keith

• Like 2

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)