Winding down

Vagabond

Thanks for sharing that Vagabond, great to hear that you are still at the swim.

Important not to forget Gozzer’s signature, it’s called fishing not catching, personally I have enjoyed many a fantastic days fishing catching nothing, but the peace and tranquility of sitting and trying are enjoyment enough.

Get back to the rivers, ponds and yes, even the carp puddles, take in that peace and quiet, a fish is a bonus, plenty of other glorious sights and sounds to refresh the grey matter.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Would not accept my jpegs even after cropping, so considered my blood pressure and gave up.  You will have to imagine a very ordinary silvery common  of about 2 lb from Venue 1 captioned "one of many" and an eight-pound partly scaled yellowfin mirror from Venue 2 captioned "Fish from a barrel".    Both are shown resting on the net, which is in turn resting on an unhooking mat, which id in its turn resting on the grass.  All very comfy - keeps the carp huggers happy.

Next question - how does one get at what used to be called your "signature" on the old system ? I wish to bring the species numbers up to date.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Tap on your own name on the post above, when your box opens tap on “edit profile” top right of page.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

On 9/28/2020 at 11:05 AM, Huge_Vitae said:

Tap on your own name on the post above, when your box opens tap on “edit profile” top right of page.

Done that twice.  Typed a new version into "Profile"  Saved it.       Can't find a way of replacing the old version with the new one.

RNLI Governor

I worked up until I was 67, enjoying my piking with a passion, and building up my tackle with a view to retiring and fishing with absolute enthusiasm as I progressed through my dotage. What I hadn't bargained on was the health issues surrounding close family members and eventually myself, my mobility is now severely limited so like Dave I have had to wind down and find manageable alternatives, instead of thirty pound pike I now seek two pound roach with great pleasure! Thank goodness my garden runs down to the water's edge.  Regretfully my wife is no longer able to fish with me and I need to be within her calling distance. 

The moral of this lament is obvious, don't leave it too late. I never bargained on a failing body, nor that of others. At least I am still fishing but am no longer able to roam my beloved Broads as I used to. Getting old is not what I expected but I am enjoying the change of discipline and interests. There is something hugely satisfying in flicking out a stick float and using my Angler's Net centre-pin although this summer has been the year of big bream and rudd rather than big roach. 

Edited by Peter Waller
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seldom Post on here these days but good to hear you are still with us Dave ,I was only speaking with Rusty today about you whilst on the bank 

Another book would be a good project with winter coming ,hope you manage to keep getting out and catching a few 

Steve 

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Chris, Steve - I have a draft for another book, following on from A.V.    My indoor hobby, now that tackle making and fly-tying are beyond my tremor-racked hands,  is postal history, especially rail-related postal history ("The Night Mail crossing the border " etc ) - it does not leave much time for book production - since retiring I have often wondered how I ever found time to go to work !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

RNLI Governor

? Not quite in the same boat as you, excuse the poor pun. My general health is fine but worn or compressed discs in my lower back and a possible trapped nerve in my neck limit my casting ability and a case of arthritis in my hip limits my walking so overall I'm limited, especially for the "rough stuff". I've spent a fortune on coarse/carp fishing gear but not brought myself to use it yet, it's a gigantic step from fishing for monsters around the world's hot spots to puddle dipping, although that's what originally gave me the fishing bug, although joining the RN at 20 gave me the bug for tackling the monsters of the 7 seas. I did have a shark trip out of Weymouth a couple of weeks ago which was exciting, successful and hard work, I'd do it again but it has to be calm. I'll probably bite the bullet next spring and buy my puddle dipping licence and either join a club or buy day tickets for various waters as my brother is a keen carp angler and lives near Blackpool so the knowledge is there. Good luck and keep the net wet. ?